SportsWrath

Snee to retire?

GorillaNJ

He sure didn't look good last season. I chalked it up to injury, but maybe he's just done.

Could be.....if I remember, it's his hip.

He's financially set for life, and has 2 rings...... he's probably thinking about being able to walk without a cane down the line.

maybe the same injury that caused his dropoff is what's causing him to consider retirement. would be pretty cool for him to leave without going through some kind of awkward situation where he's cut by his father in law when he gets too old or stops producing

With the potential change at both tackle positions...I'd prefer to keep the interior intact at any cost. I think Snee could stomach one more year without a problem.

Baas...I looked at his deal...we can't cut him now...too much bonus money would come forward. We'd save his 4.25 in salary this year, but the coming due bonus money totals 7.425...meaning we'd not only not save, but we would lose an ADDITIONAL 3.175. Of course, all future years, we'd simply save his salary.

Cutting Baas after June 1st would be better financially since it'd shift the accounting of some of his bonus money into 2014...the net impact on 2013 would be saving 1.775 and on 2014 would be LOSING 0.200 (which would be acceptable). Years beyond, we'd only save his salary. The problem there is, we're not guaranteed of any replacements for our starting center on June 1.

With the potential change at both tackle positions...I'd prefer to keep the interior intact at any cost. I think Snee could stomach one more year without a problem.

Baas...I looked at his deal...we can't cut him now...too much bonus money would come forward. We'd save his 4.25 in salary this year, but the coming due bonus money totals 7.425...meaning we'd not only not save, but we would lose an ADDITIONAL 3.175. Of course, all future years, we'd simply save his salary.

Cutting Baas after June 1st would be better financially since it'd shift the accounting of some of his bonus money into 2014...the net impact on 2013 would be saving 1.775 and on 2014 would be LOSING 0.200 (which would be acceptable). Years beyond, we'd only save his salary. The problem there is, we're not guaranteed of any replacements for our starting center on June 1.

Yea I wasn't too happy about the size of his contract when he was signed (had the same feeling with Canty)... but we have to stick with him till a younger stud is ready to step in.

One can argue he's been living up to it (yes with the exception of this last season) and there's always the possibility of restructuring...

i agree he's earned it, i was just saying that at least there might be some benefit to him retiring if it were to happen though i haven't looked into the bonus structure of his contract

i agree he's earned it, i was just saying that at least there might be some benefit to him retiring if it were to happen though i haven't looked into the bonus structure of his contract

Assuming you're talking about Snee, he's due 6.7 in salary this year and has 2.3 in bonus remaining. Cutting now would save us the net of 4.4.

Snee has a player option year for 2014 that I get a bit fuzzy on when it comes to prorating the bonus number. I guess it has to do with when Snee would be required to exercise that option...before or after free agency or the new league year begins. His option year salary is 6.95.

From January 18th:

Snee also said that he is taking his career on a year-to-year basis at this point, although he said he’s already decided that he wants to continue playing in 2013. That’s good news for the Giants, who have enough holes to plug on their roster without worrying about how to replace their perennial Pro Bowl right guard.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/18/chris-snee-will-have-hip-surgery-after-pro-bowl/

Canty, Boley, and Bradshaw gone... adding Snee to that mix would give the Giants a lot of holes to fill (and a decidedly different look for 2013).

Canty and Boley were overpriced and overhyped... losing them is addition by subtraction... AB doesn't have much left in the tank and he's a cap casualty more than anything.. Wilson showed he's more than ready to take over and Brown was more effective than AB imo... I think we're pretty set at the RB position and Snee ain't going nowhere...

I think Snee plays out his contract year. We have Brewer and Mosley waiting in the wings, I want us to resign Boothe and maybe move him to C, release Baas(after June 1st)

Things to consider:

Will releasing Baas save us anything and will find an adequate replacement?

Can Booth handle full time duties at center? I know he's been solid coming off the bench but I'm not sure he can be a starter an be effective.

I think Snee plays out his contract year. We have Brewer and Mosley waiting in the wings, I want us to resign Boothe and maybe move him to C, release Baas(after June 1st)

Leaves us thin at Center should something happen to Boothe. I think we keep Baas for 2013 at least...to pair with Snee to give us some consistency on the line. I think the two most overlooked and underrated attributes to an offensive line is the consistency and flexibility of the players.

Mike fransesa made a comment on his show today that Snee might retire! His father-in-law better shove a boot up his ass and get him to play!

He sure didn't look good last season. I chalked it up to injury, but maybe he's just done.

Wouldn't mind seeing him go...he had no oomph last year...probably his battery ran out...