SportsWrath

Strahan and Parcells finalists for HoF.

BlueInCanada

Hall of Fame finalists: Warren Sapp, Michael Strahan to Canton?

• Elliot-Harrison_110827_65.jpg
  • By Elliot Harrison
  • Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network
  • Published: Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:18 p.m.
  • Updated: Jan. 22, 2013 at 05:06 p.m.
  • 0 Likes | 0 Comments

This just in: Tom Brady, Bill Belichick and "the Evil Empire" didn't make it to the Super Bowl.

OK, maybe you're up on the latest postseason news. But you might have missed the latest on the Pro Football Hall of Fame, where Brady will reside when it's all said and done. Ditto for Belichick.

Not all of the former players and contributors who were recently named to the Hall's list of finalists are that cut-and-dried. Take one of the headliners: Michael Strahan. Great player? No doubt. First-ballot Hall of Famer? We'll get to that.

To me, a player is either worthy of the Hall of Fame or not. Yet, over the years, a different distinction has been made that goes something like this: Yeah, he should be in the Hall of Fame ... but not as a first-ballot guy.

With the Hall entering its 50th year, and a maximum of seven guys going in each year (five modern-day candidates plus two senior-committee entrants), the backlog of former All-Pros on the outside looking in continues to grow. Thus, for a player to get into Canton, he has to be a different caliber of Hall of Famer -- transcendent, if you will. So let's look at the first-year candidates, as well as some guys in the gold-plated backlog waiting for their names to be called.

The list of finalists, in alphabetical order: Larry Allen, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Curley Culp, Eddie DeBartolo Jr., Kevin Greene, Charles Haley, Art Modell, Jonathan Ogden, Bill Parcells, Andre Reed, Dave Robinson, Warren Sapp, Will Shields, Michael Strahan and Aeneas Williams.

Remember, just five modern-day nominees can be inducted, and that's the maximum, which makes this process quite difficult for the 46 voters.

http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story/0ap1000000129568/article/hall-of-fame-finalists-warren-sapp-michael-strahan-to-canton

Wouldn't be surprised to see both of them get in in the same year.

Larry Allen, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Curley Culp, Eddie DeBartolo Jr., Kevin Greene, Charles Haley, Art Modell, Jonathan Ogden, Bill Parcells, Andre Reed, Dave Robinson, Warren Sapp, Will Shields, Michael Strahan and Aeneas Williams.

Out of them.

Larry Allen

Jerome Bettis

Jonathan Ogden

Strahan

Parcells

I'd leave out Sapp for this year and he'll probably get in next year, although I wouldn't have that fucker anywhere near the place. I don't rate him as highly as others.

Parcells should get in this year, I think he's convinced them enough now that he's done coaching and moving on, though he has enemies in the media still. Strahan gets in because he's actually a bigger celebrity now and they'll love his exposure. Bus gets in because he's from Detroit, and I think Allen and Ogden are shoo ins, guys were absolute studs.

I think they'll hold off Modell till next year. I'd love to see Haley and Reed get in but I don't see it happening and I think Chris Carter is your new Harry Carson and he'll get in the next weak class.

Larry Allen, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Curley Culp, Eddie DeBartolo Jr., Kevin Greene, Charles Haley, Art Modell, Jonathan Ogden, Bill Parcells, Andre Reed, Dave Robinson, Warren Sapp, Will Shields, Michael Strahan and Aeneas Williams.

Out of them.

Larry Allen

Jerome Bettis

Jonathan Ogden

Strahan

Parcells

I'd leave out Sapp for this year and he'll probably get in next year, although I wouldn't have that fucker anywhere near the place. I don't rate him as highly as others.

Parcells should get in this year, I think he's convinced them enough now that he's done coaching and moving on, though he has enemies in the media still. Strahan gets in because he's actually a bigger celebrity now and they'll love his exposure. Bus gets in because he's from Detroit, and I think Allen and Ogden are shoo ins, guys were absolute studs.

I think they'll hold off Modell till next year. I'd love to see Haley and Reed get in but I don't see it happening and I think Chris Carter is your new Harry Carson and he'll get in the next weak class.

Wait... Jerome Bettis is from Detroit?

The list of finalists, in alphabetical order: Larry Allen, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Curley Culp, Eddie DeBartolo Jr., Kevin Greene, Charles Haley, Art Modell, Jonathan Ogden, Bill Parcells, Andre Reed, Dave Robinson, Warren Sapp, Will Shields, Michael Strahan and Aeneas Williams.

Of those guys, my list would be:

Larry Allen - guy was an absolute beast at two different positions

Jon Ogden - again, one of the all-time best players at that spot

Jerome Bettis - not many power backs end up in the top five rushing category all time and play for 10+ years.

Michael Strahan - in his prime could take over a game. Plus the media loves him.

Kevin Greene - don't know why nobody talks about this guy when they talk about all-time pass rushers. Dude is #3 all-time.

Parcells is overrated and never won anything without Belichick (not even ONE playoff game, ever) but he'll probably end up in there too.

wasn't it Parcell who gave Jerry Dead Jones the Romo?... he didn't do much good in Miami either...

But you have to agree, where ever Parcell go, he produce success. Jets was a crap hole before BP, cowgirls wasn't anything great before BP, maimi actually looked good when BP step in there...

Out of them.

Larry Allen

Jerome Bettis

Jonathan Ogden

Strahan

Parcells

Sapp doesn't deserve it. He ahd a couple of good years in Tampa then faded away in Oakland. He's better known for his mouth than his play.

This...Strahan was a much better all around player and lifted the play of his teammates....took the double and triple teams without bitching and still stopped the run and/or got the QB...fuck this guy...anyone who would put Sapp in before Strahan obviously does not know what the fuck he is talking about. And Strahan had big numbers when he was the only big talent out there for the Giants...so it wasn't a case of him playing big only when surrounded by like talent...

[/size]

Of those guys, my list would be:

Larry Allen - guy was an absolute beast at two different positions

Jon Ogden - again, one of the all-time best players at that spot

Jerome Bettis - not many power backs end up in the top five rushing category all time and play for 10+ years.

Michael Strahan - in his prime could take over a game. Plus the media loves him.

Kevin Greene - don't know why nobody talks about this guy when they talk about all-time pass rushers. Dude is #3 all-time.

Parcells is overrated and never won anything without Belichick (not even ONE playoff game, ever) but he'll probably end up in there too.

Agree on the Parcells statement...without Belicheat... he was hamstrung...

I think Stahan, Parcells and Sapp all get in this year.

I don't understand the fascination with Bettis, I thought he was a horrible running back in the later part of his career and even when he was in his prime didn't look like much of an HoF back.

Strahan and Sapp are both arguably top 5 at their position to play the game and Parcells is an easy first ballot HoF entry with his amount of work he put into the game.

Larry Allen might block Strahan's entry into the hall of fame also, dude never gave Strah any change out there.

To be fair, Strahan always wanted like a 10, a 5, 3 ones, 4 quarters, and a bunch of miscellaneous shit for a 20.

I think Stahan, Parcells and Sapp all get in this year.

I don't understand the fascination with Bettis, I thought he was a horrible running back in the later part of his career and even when he was in his prime didn't look like much of an HoF back.

Strahan and Sapp are both arguably top 5 at their position to play the game and Parcells is an easy first ballot HoF entry with his amount of work he put into the game.

Agree about Bettis, now i haven't watched all his games nor follow his career as close as some but the dude is avg at best. Sure he won a superbowl ring but did HE lead the Steelers to that victory? My eyes said the Defense won it.

To me Bettis is more like a Brandon JAcobs kinda guy with a little more moves but he's no Barry Sanders or Marshell Fualk, He'll he is more like a Eddger James.

anyways i never understood the hype ..

Agree about Bettis, now i haven't watched all his games nor follow his career as close as some but the dude is avg at best. Sure he won a superbowl ring but did HE lead the Steelers to that victory? My eyes said the Defense won it.

To me Bettis is more like a Brandon JAcobs kinda guy with a little more moves but he's no Barry Sanders or Marshell Fualk, He'll he is more like a Eddger James.

anyways i never understood the hype ..

12 years, 13K yards, and 6th leading rusher all time. Dude is ahead of Dickerson, Dorsett, and Faulk.

He might not be a first-ballot guy but you don't have that type of career and not get in. In his prime the guy was a beast.

12 years, 13K yards, and 6th leading rusher all time. Dude is ahead of Dickerson, Dorsett, and Faulk.

He might not be a first-ballot guy but you don't have that type of career and not get in. In his prime the guy was a beast.

Agreed. Bettis deserves to be in...but perhaps not as a first ballot guy. Then again, he was relied upon there in Pittsburgh for the running game, because Ben wasn't ready to take on the offense himself. Ben's grown into that, but early on, Ben was throwing what, 15 passes a game? Less? So while the defense definitely did their part, the offense centered around the running game of Bettis.

So yeah, his career numbers put him in for certain, but perhaps not this season.

The cynics will consider the other keynote hall of famers. You get personalities as big as Parcells and Strahan going in, you might want to save some of your 'ratings ammo' for next year's inductions and bring Bettis in then.