SportsWrath

Is Fewel the real Gilbride?

fishgutmartyr

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Statistical-notes-from-the-2012-season/30ad5bab-762e-4674-8604-8f54875aecfb

Some interesting stats from this past season:

Offensive

The offense gained 5,687 yards, a 474-yard decline from the team-record 6,161 yards the 2011 offense produced (which was the second consecutive 6,000-yard season, the only two in franchise history). The Giants dipped from eighth in total offense (385.1 yards a game) to 14th (355.4).

But while the yardage went down, the points went up. In 2012, the Giants scored 429 points, the second-highest total in franchise history (the 1963 Giants scored 448 points). The 2011 Giants team that won Super Bowl XLVI scored 394 regular-season points.

The Giants scored precisely the same number of touchdowns in 2011 and 2012 – 47. But in 2012 they kicked 33 field goals, compared to 19 the previous season. The other scoring differences: the Giants kicked three more extra points and had three fewer two-point conversions and two fewer safeties in 2012.

A decline in yardage from last season, but still good; and good enough to be 14th (middle of the pack).

We scored more than last year, but in field goals. That could indicate 2 things: 1) Our red zone offense was lacking; 2) Our offense started with worse field position more often. Consider that we scored the same number of touchdowns as last year, and you have to start believing that that it is more likely the second possibility than the first.

*The defense allowed 6,134 yards, or 383.4 yards a game, both the highest figures in franchise history (the defense gave up 6,022 yards in the 2011 championship season, the only two seasons in which the Giants allowed 6,000 yards in their history). The unit was ranked 31st in the NFL. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, it is the first time the Giants’ defense was ranked second-to-last in the NFL since 1966.

The biggest reason for the inflated opposing yardage total was the difficulty the Giants’ defense had in preventing long pass plays. The Giants allowed 60 passes of 20 or more yards (the NFL’s fourth-highest total), 29 passes of at least 30 yards (led the NFL) and 13 passes of 40 or more yards (second in the league).

But while the defense allowed a lot of yards, it was relatively stingy when it came to giving up points. Giants opponents scored 344 points, or 56 fewer than their foes scored in 2011. That left them tied for 12th in scoring defense. The Giants were not the only NFL team to finish 19 slots better in scoring defense than yardage allowed. The Atlanta Falcons, the NFC’s top seed, were 24th in total defense, but fifth in points given up.

Two significant reasons for the improvement in scoring defense were the defense’s performance in the red zone and takeaways.

In 2011, the Giants surrendered 34 touchdowns on 61 opposing trips inside their 20-yard line, a 55.7 touchdown percentage that left them tied with their Super Bowl opponents, New England, for 21st in the league. This season, the Giants allowed only 23 touchdowns on 50 opposing possessions in the red zone, a 46.0 percentage that was sixth in the NFL.

Long pass plays will not in itself cost you the time of possession game--but it certainly will lose the field position game. That might explain the increase in field goals and not tds--the offense simply had too much ground to cover to get the score.

And to be ranked 31st in total defense? For the first time since 1966!? Do you realize how many piss-poor teams that encompasses? We fired Sherman for a better defense for god's sake.

Turnover ratio can be dubious as well: how many of those turnovers happened on our end of the field? Our defense only had 4 more than last year--which means to increase by 7, our offense had to record less turnovers as well. Red zone performance--we either caused a fumble or int within our own 20, or gave up a field goal, with just an occasional turnover on downs--a little better than 50% of the time. How exactly did that help the offense?

*The Giants punted 58 times in 2012, their lowest total ever in a 16-game season and their lowest total in a non-strike season since they had 47 punts in a 14-game season in 1972 (they had 49 punts in the strike-shortened, nine-game season in 1982).

159 offensive drives: 80 ended in points. I'm factoring turnovers. A little more than half the time, an offensive drive ended in points.

Least amount of punts in franchise history within a 16 game schedule. Less turnovers. And a situation where you have to wonder if we would have had even more points if not for lousy field position. The only flaw I see is 474 yards less in total yardage than the previous record season, where the QB had an MVP season if it were any other year.

This is a historically bad defense that really hasn't shown much other than the playoff run in Fewell's tenure. He has players: even if they are not capable of being top-10 in the league, this squad should not be touching 31st in any facet of defense.

For all the talk of Gilbride's pretty stats blinding glaring problems, Fewell is much, much worse. It's really beyond time to stop excusing the problems on defense by blaming offensive deficiencies.

For the record, I'm not losing a wink of sleep if both OC and DC were swapped out, but the Giants already came out and basically assured all that neither are going anywhere.

I bash Gilbride and Fewell, pretty much depending on what happened the week before.

But.....the team was 9-7......no need to blow it up.

But they (Gilride and Fewell) need to change things up.....I'm sure Coughlin is all over that right now, and Reese too.

For starters, Gilbride needs to speed things up, and Fewell needs to learn how to design a blitz.

For all the talk of Gilbride's pretty stats blinding glaring problems, Fewell is much, much worse. It's really beyond time to stop excusing the problems on defense by blaming offensive deficiencies.

I do agree.....Fewell's unit performed worse than Gilbride's.

Poor field position is often placed on the offense, too, and in this case, is right where it belongs.....Like when they failed in converting third downs for an entire 8 game stretch.

Our offense went 3 and out more times than I've ever seen an offense. If you can't gain yards, you're going to consistently get bad field position no matter how well the defense plays since Weatherford can't bail us out every time and boom a 60 yard punt from our own 20.

I bash Gilbride and Fewell, pretty much depending on what happened the week before.

But.....the team was 9-7......no need to blow it up.

But they (Gilride and Fewell) need to change things up.....I'm sure Coughlin is all over that right now, and Reese too.

For starters, Gilbride needs to speed things up, and Fewell needs to learn how to design a blitz.

I do agree.....Fewell's unit performed worse than Gilbride's.

Exactly. It's not that Fewell DOESN'T blitz....it's that his packages and personnel are shit for blitzing.

Poor field position is often placed on the offense, too, and in this case, is right where it belongs.....Like when they failed in converting third downs for an entire 8 game stretch.

Our offense went 3 and out more times than I've ever seen an offense. If you can't gain yards, you're going to consistently get bad field position no matter how well the defense plays since Weatherford can't bail us out every time and boom a 60 yard punt from our own 20.

The stats do not support your argument--we punted less this season than we ever did in a 16 game schedule.

And if you are regularly starting drives deep on your own side of the field, while the defense is giving up historic yardage (for the second year in a row, mind you), the likelihood is that you will wind up stalling before reaching the opponent's end zone. A 3 and out at the 40-50 is will probably put you in better shape than a 6 play drive starting at the 10, assuming your defense can make the occasional stop.

Do you recall many 3 and outs by our defense this year? Even in games where they were "on," teams were getting first downs before they had to punt.

-----------

The offense obviously wasn't consistent. It wasn't a particularly good year for them, as they have been consistently in the top ten for a few years now. Sadly, our defense pretty much HAS been consistent, and not in a positive way.

This is the new, modern NFL. Defense is a thing of the past, first of all. Second of all. There aren't defenses out there that can force three and outs unless the opposing offense is out of rhythm or they are playing, say, the Jags. I wouldn't say that defenses had the Giants offense's number....I'd say the offense was out of rhythm and failed to adjust for an entire half a season. And, unlike the defense, they primarily had all or most of their starters for the entire season.

Around the league, just about everyone plays to cede 3 points, so a 50% scoring rate on them isn't a big deal at all to me. But if you aren't top ten in converting 3rd downs and top 10 in converting touchdowns inside the red zone, you aren't a top ten team. 33 field goals is fucking ridiculous. 31 of those were hit from the 20 yard line.

This is the new, modern NFL. Defense is a thing of the past, first of all. Second of all. There aren't defenses out there that can force three and outs unless the opposing offense is out of rhythm or they are playing, say, the Jags. I wouldn't say that defenses had the Giants offense's number....I'd say the offense was out of rhythm and failed to adjust for an entire half a season. And, unlike the defense, they primarily had all or most of their starters for the entire season.

Around the league, just about everyone plays to cede 3 points, so a 50% scoring rate on them isn't a big deal at all to me. But if you aren't top ten in converting 3rd downs and top 10 in converting touchdowns inside the red zone, you aren't a top ten team. 33 field goals is fucking ridiculous. 31 of those were hit from the 20 yard line.

30 teams did a better job of stopping offenses than we did, Storm. 11 if you go strictly by points, and that throws out a HUGE chunk game strategy.

And who the hell was out for the defense? Canty? Phillips? Akamura/Hosely for a few games? Rivers never really got off the ground. But even when they were IN the game, the d was stinking it up.

Meanwhile, Nicks was effectively worthless, two of our RBs were barely off crutches, and the entire right side of the offensive line was unstable. Not that either side of the ball really had an excuse as far as injuries are concerned...

30 teams did a better job of stopping offenses than we did, Storm. 11 if you go strictly by points, and that throws out a HUGE chunk game strategy.

And who the hell was out for the defense? Canty? Phillips? Akamura/Hosely for a few games? Rivers never really got off the ground. But even when they were IN the game, the d was stinking it up.

Meanwhile, Nicks was effectively worthless, two of our RBs were barely off crutches, and the entire right side of the offensive line was unstable. Not that either side of the ball really had an excuse as far as injuries are concerned...

Terrell Thomas for an entire season. I also don't think Justin Tuck was healthy. Neither was Michael Boley.

Ahmad Bradshaw played well. His injury doesn't count.

And that ranking goes by yardage. Again, not a concern of mine. Clearly, the Giants offense proved that you can put up a ton of yardage and skew your season point per game average by dropping 40, and even 50 points on a couple shitty teams and still not play or put up points when it matters.

The one and only true reason we didn't make the playoffs when we should have was a complete and total offensive meltdown in 2 specific games, Atlanta and Baltimore.

One thing I'll say in Fewell's defense: There were some major pieces of this defense that simply didn't show up in 2012 like they did in 2011.....Tuck, JPP, Osi, and Webster. Boley didn't have nearly the 2012 campaign that he did in 2011, either. KP missed alot of playing time.

T2 was again out for the season.

Marvin Austin is on his way to becoming a bust.

Rivers was basically a dumpster-diving attempt by Reese to address the linebacker position.

In no way am I giving Fewell a pass for this year, but there were far more no-shows on defense than offense, and I think that impacted the unit. However, it's Fewell's job to get his guys to show up, and clearly, that didn't happen either.

But in summary, I"m going to blame the veterans first, and the coach after.....this is still largely the same defense that helped carry the team to a Super Bowl....and the same scheme, and coordinator.

One thing I'll say in Fewell's defense: There were some major pieces of this defense that simply didn't show up in 2012 like they did in 2011.....Tuck, JPP, Osi, and Webster. Boley didn't have nearly the 2012 campaign that he did in 2011, either. KP missed alot of playing time.

T2 was again out for the season.

Marvin Austin is on his way to becoming a bust.

Rivers was basically a dumpster-diving attempt by Reese to address the linebacker position.

In no way am I giving Fewell a pass for this year, but there were far more no-shows on defense than offense, and I think that impacted the unit. However, it's Fewell's job to get his guys to show up, and clearly, that didn't happen either.

But in summary, I"m going to blame the veterans first, and the coach after.....this is still largely the same defense that helped carry the team to a Super Bowl....and the same scheme, and coordinator.

When your defense is based on speed up front to pressure the QB and you can't even get the engine started then this will leave the middle and back side exposed.(sound familiar) Then to add to the decline you can't make adjustments under the hood (Lb/S blitz) leaving you pretty much dead in the water.

Seriously Did we see a Lb or S blitz this year at all? I know that's not the answer but it would of been an adjustment that could of helped speed up the D. This could force the Qb into making quicker decisions or even forcing passes.

When your defense is based on speed up front to pressure the QB and you can't even get the engine started then this will leave the middle and back side exposed.(sound familiar) Then to add to the decline you can't make adjustments under the hood (Lb/S blitz) leaving you pretty much dead in the water.

Seriously Did we see a Lb or S blitz this year at all? I know that's not the answer but it would of been an adjustment that could of helped speed up the D. This could force the Qb into making quicker decisions or even forcing passes.

There were a few blitz around week 4-6 if I remember correctly, which were actually pretty effective. Then he forgot.

You mean... finishing in the bottom half of the league in six of your seven seasons an an coordinator might mean you're bad?

I'm sure it's just an aberration... six out of seven times.

Well at least he's better than Sheridan :puke:

Stats are fun but ya have to watch games and break things down in order to really understand things that went wrong on offense and defense this season. As far as Ed's list of things that went wrong, he is correct but I wonder if he knows the order in which those should be listed. He also points out linebackers because like most of you he gets a hard on over linebackers. Our linebackers sucked last year and the year before that, etc. Didn't start failing the team this year, they have failed every single year for over 10 years.

Inconsistent pass rush? Not going to get a consistent pass rush against any QB in the NFL if opponents can pickup 4 to 5 yards on first and second down. It means there isn't going to be a 5 step drop back on third down, well unless the safeties comes down to help you stop the run and you leave Cory Webster out there because that will indeed lead to giving up big plays down field.

Pass rush sucked because our run defense sucked. We gave up big plays because our run defense sucked. Our run defense sucked because Justin Tuck had a down year, Chris Canty was out hurt half the year, rookie Markus Kuhn in at DT more than he should have because Marvin Austin did jackshit all season long, Rocky Bernard stuck around just one more season too long and Osi Umenyiora only plays on passing plays and if you put him in against the run the only way he will tackle a RB is if he gets pushed into one. Linval Joseph is the only other guy on the line who did his job this season.

All of this could have gone down differently if Shaun Rogers simply was healthy to play this season, but that would have required a whole other miracle.