SportsWrath

Interesting comments by Coughlin

JMFP

http://www.nypost.co...dERl4ucPYZFHVnM

"....

“For us, right now, to not be in the playoffs, to be the Super Bowl champion and not be in the playoffs, if that doesn’t bring you down to earth and create the kind of humility that comes along with getting your nose back to the grindstone, I don’t know what does,’’ Coughlin said.

What stunned the 66-year old coach more than anything was that he never saw it coming. He never imagined what he considered to be strong practice weeks would not translate to any sort of credible performance.

“My competitive juices were flowing so, I should have made sure everyone was [dragged] along with me,” Coughlin said. “But you have to remember this, a year ago, in those last six games, I knew exactly how our team would play. I knew exactly that we would play well. I didn’t know we were going to win all the time, but I knew we would play exceptionally well.”

...."

I think guys like Tuck need to examine what the fuck happened. Because I don't think Coughlin is throwing anyone under the bus, but I think this season, he expected the same guys he counted on last year to play at a playoff-caliber level.

Instead, seasoned veterans - like Tuck - were ghosts during those two huge losses to Atlanta and Baltimore.

And this week, we are hearing from Tuck that he wants to play longer, and feels like his body can hold up alot longer.

So what happened?.....was it a lack of intensity, or a shitty gameplan by Fewell, or a combo???

I think guys like Tuck need to examine what the fuck happened. Because I don't think Coughlin is throwing anyone under the bus, but I think this season, he expected the same guys he counted on last year to play at a playoff-caliber level.

Instead, seasoned veterans - like Tuck - were ghosts during those two huge losses to Atlanta and Baltimore.

Tuck and Webster both were HUGE let-downs this year. They were cornerstones last year that were to be relied upon heavily this year and they fell under the pressure. Tuck is living in the shadow of Strahan and is vastly covered up by it. Webster is so hot and cold from year to year, you're not quite sure how to place him. The thing about them both is that they're in the either in the middle, or just past the middle, part of their careers. From an organizational perspective, it's realistic now to actually consider cutting ties. I don't see either going anywhere due to the Giants being loyal, almost to a fault, but another year like they had this year and they could be well on their way. Now, that does play into our offseason plans, because as loyal as we are, we're also not stupid. We'll bring in eventual replacements now and let them develop so when the time comes next year...we're not missing much of a beat. But this past year, they just underachieved to such a level as to have the organization be caught with their pants down a bit.

And this week, we are hearing from Tuck that he wants to play longer, and feels like his body can hold up alot longer.

So what happened?.....was it a lack of intensity, or a shitty gameplan by Fewell, or a combo???

Tuck has something mental going on, and has since the middle part of last season. I'm not sure what it is but the guy just doesn't look like he's that into it.

If you wanna talk about ghosts... JPP didn't record a sack in his last 7 games in a row.

We need a firestarter on this team, especially on defense. That's why I'm hoping we go after Maulauga. At least that guy plays angry.

Really you cant just place the blame on one thing when a team like the Giants who has the talent to win the big dance, fails to make the paloffs.

Every single person on the Giants team is to blame from coaches, to players to staff and personnel. You don't have a collapse as bad as we did just because one guy forgot to do his job, it happens when the entire team isnt doing their job.

Fewell is to blame for running a defense that didnt play to a single players strength, not bringing pressure, allowing guys like Tuck/Osi/JPP to get manhandled without changing up the rushing lanes. Playing off the WRs when obviously our CBs excel at press coverage.

However it's also on the players, guys like Tuck and Osi were obviously playing without any sort of fire, JPP let the media get to his head and he adopted the style of Osi by running 85 yards out of the play. Webster having a really bad year and the only players stepping up in the secondary being Prince and Brown, yet both allowed big plays as well.

Really you cant just place the blame on one thing when a team like the Giants who has the talent to win the big dance, fails to make the paloffs.

Every single person on the Giants team is to blame from coaches, to players to staff and personnel. You don't have a collapse as bad as we did just because one guy forgot to do his job, it happens when the entire team isnt doing their job.

Fewell is to blame for running a defense that didnt play to a single players strength, not bringing pressure, allowing guys like Tuck/Osi/JPP to get manhandled without changing up the rushing lanes. Playing off the WRs when obviously our CBs excel at press coverage.

However it's also on the players, guys like Tuck and Osi were obviously playing without any sort of fire, JPP let the media get to his head and he adopted the style of Osi by running 85 yards out of the play. Webster having a really bad year and the only players stepping up in the secondary being Prince and Brown, yet both allowed big plays as well.

I think this is a fair critique.

To be clear, I wasn't laying it all at Tuck's feet.....my point was that veterans like Tuck just didn't produce.

I also agree with your opinion on Fewell.....that dude should be grateful his ass didn't get bounced to the curb.

Now is the time for Reese and Coughlin to put their heads together and dictate the approach for next season.

Personally, if I were Reese, I'd be pissed off with how Gilbride wasted his 2012 draft picks.