SportsWrath

JR YOU STOOPID IMGRATE SIGN SPAGS NOW!!!!

Sephiroth

How Gilbride gets more hate than Fewel baffles me.

I couldnt agree more. Id love to see Eli and company under a really good cordinator. But Fewell is just flat out horrible. I mean how can you go 4 full quarters with no pass rush what so ever, and not even one time think to mix things up?

I'm tired of hearing about Buddy Ryan taking a swing at Gilbride. Buddy Ryan is a piece of shit while Gilbride never got as many chances as that fat fuck. Oh and by the way, he called 2 Superbowl winning drives.

Give it a fucking rest. Gilbride is a fine offensive coordinator.

I'm actually in agreement here.. yes some shit he does leaves me scratching my head but on the whole O has not been the Giants problem the vast majority of Eli's career. If anything it's playing injured players (ex: Nicks) or having an OLine that somehow suddenly shits the bed but in general it's been our D that's caused us heartaches.

Our offense had 168 total yards, in that Pittsburgh game, our D was gassed cause the O couldn't stay on the field. We had 20-10 led going into the 4th and the D had a Td in that game.

I can make that argument that our D was gassed because they couldn't get off the field.

Good point.

I know that blitzing has it's perils, but there were times this season when the Giants defense looked great, and other times that it was like a turtle on it's back.....so schemes definitely had alot to do with it.

Yeah, being agressive on D certainly at times can set you back. But what Spags (and a couple other great Giants DC's from the past) showed us is that if you are consistantly aggressive, and creative, over 4 full quaters, you may lose some battles but chances are you are going to win the war.

A defense that can't get off the field deserves what it gets. Our D was ranked 31st and like someone said.. you are what your record says you are..

There is two ways to look at that an O that can't stay on the field either. The plus 14 turnover ratio we had did nothing for us.

There is two ways to look at that an O that can't stay on the field either. The plus 14 turnover ratio we had did nothing for us.

Agreed. All it did was mask how horrible our D really was, even in a few games that we won.

"because we couldn't stop the run"

"because we couldn't stop the run!"

It's been a hall mark of Fewell's defenses in the past. His teams just couldn't stop the run and with the Giants it just gets compacted because our linebackers just can't shed blocks at all.

I can make that argument that our D was gassed because they couldn't get off the field.

:WS: :clap:

We should expect the defense to give up 3 & 10 consistently. Then Blame the offense for time of possession and not scoring tds with shit field position.

Did the offense have bad games? OF COURSE THEY DID!! There isn't a team in the league that doesn't have them. How rough did GB start this season, for example?

But...

We were top 15 in EVERY offensive statistic except for: rushing attempts/game (23rd--but with our RBs, no surprise), Time of possession (23rd), and number of plays, which was 31st. Where have I seen that ranking before? :confused: Think about it: with the exception of rushing attempts, the only stats that are poor for the offense are the ones in which the defense plays a role.

Furthermore, we were in 11th in the league in 3rd down percentage, offensively. So we were better than average in avoiding 3 and outs. Our average time of possession was a little north of 29 minutes, which isn't dominating by any stretch, but at least keeps you in games. With the second-lowest number of offensive snaps in the freaking league, the offense managed to accomplish this.

Frankly, we would have had almost as much chance in some of these games if we let teams start at our 30 yard line and played "defense" from there. At least our offense would have gotten on the field more.

Look. I grew up in the 70's. I love great defense. But it just isn't there, and no amount of blaming the OC is going to change that.

:WS: :clap:

We should expect the defense to give up 3 & 10 consistently. Then Blame the offense for time of possession and not scoring tds with shit field position.

Did the offense have bad games? OF COURSE THEY DID!! There isn't a team in the league that doesn't have them. How rough did GB start this season, for example?

But...

We were top 15 in EVERY offensive statistic except for: rushing attempts/game (23rd--but with our RBs, no surprise), Time of possession (23rd), and number of plays, which was 31st. Where have I seen that ranking before? :confused: Think about it: with the exception of rushing attempts, the only stats that are poor for the offense are the ones in which the defense plays a role.

Furthermore, we were in 11th in the league in 3rd down percentage, offensively. So we were better than average in avoiding 3 and outs. Our average time of possession was a little north of 29 minutes, which isn't dominating by any stretch, but at least keeps you in games. With the second-lowest number of offensive snaps in the freaking league, the offense managed to accomplish this.

Frankly, we would have had almost as much chance in some of these games if we let teams start at our 30 yard line and played "defense" from there. At least our offense would have gotten on the field more.

Look. I grew up in the 70's. I love great defense. But it just isn't there, and no amount of blaming the OC is going to change that.

Wow, you make a slam-dunk argument... as usually really.

Yes our Defense needs a few pieces but Fewel is a subpar DC imho.

• 2 weeks later...

As I said on the thread I started before spotting this one, I wonder if Spags' style of D has been figured out or if the Saints just couldn't figure it out? I recall one coach - I THINK it was SF Harbaugh - saying the Saints D was improving and the style was familiar, calling it, "a Spagnuolo defense". That can be taken as a compliment OR that his offense knows what to expect. Kinda wonder which way it was intended.

As I said on the thread I started before spotting this one, I wonder if Spags' style of D has been figured out or if the Saints just couldn't figure it out? I recall one coach - I THINK it was SF Harbaugh - saying the Saints D was improving and the style was familiar, calling it, "a Spagnuolo defense". That can be taken as a compliment OR that his offense knows what to expect. Kinda wonder which way it was intended.

I believe the "Worst defense in the NFL" moniker is what got Spaggs ousted from NOLA.

I see the comment "Fewell gets a pass" and I wonder if people remember 2 years ago we were running him out of town and there was no heat on Gilbride because Fewell had sucked it away from him. Fewell just about kept his job and then next year late season he gets it right. Gilbride got it right late last year too. Coughlin pulled the strings and voila, team goes into an unstoppable mode.

This year, when you really look at what happened with this team, it all falls on the players heads and no-one else.

Gilbride didn't do a bad job overall this year, but he can't help the fact that Eli made some terrible audibles and played average the second half of the season. Nicks and Bradshaw were crocked, Cruz became gun shy after the Pittsburgh game and our offensive line had 2 players age something terrible this season in Snee and Diehl, plus we lost the one guy who was doing the job in Locklear. We didn't execute shit down the stretch, and don't get fooled on that spanking we gave that bunch of quitters.

And what's Fewell to do when his defensive line packed up. No pressure, none!. He can't help that. He can't help JPP getting doubled and not one guy stepping up. Where's this monster year we've been waiting for from Chris Canty all this time. The d-line help from the draft can't stay healthy. Somebody said he hasn't done shit with the linebackers in 3 years. You know who hasn't done shit with the linebackers, Jerry Reese that's who. Our best linebacker right now overall, might be D'quan Williams, and in 2 years he'll be gone. Webster was lost most of the season, Kenny Phillips overall has been a bust, fucking Steveie Brwon did more in this season than Phillips has all his career and I don't care what anyone says on here, he's a waste. We didn't need a co-ordinator to turn it around this year, we needed someone on the fucking field to step up and make a stop and they couldn't when it counted. I'll blame Fewell for one thing, he's got to figure out Antrel Rolle, because we pay this fucking guy so much money and he's playing a different fucking position every week, we know he can play but he's totallly undisciplined. But that's it.

By the way, Spags needs to go find himself a good college team to head up, so that he can build himself again a la Pete Carroll, he's a good coach, but players don't respond well to guys who may have "failed" elsewhere. Plus as rough of a season as it was for us, that entire Saints season was a complete clusterfuck.