SportsWrath

The loss in Hotlanta

*SDMF*

Should be put on eli's shoulders and the defense's in-ability to stop the run and quick outs. If your gonna reply to this I dont wanna hear about coaching. Play calling was spotty,but thats on Eli.

Eli might've shit his pants but don't fault him when the OL was getting bitch slapped in every which way.

Eli might've shit his pants but don't fault him when the OL was getting bitch slapped in every which way.

IDK how very true that is. There were alot of bad passes Nas and im not so sure that it was THAT bad.

Agree Eli wasn't good but none of the other parts of the O were very good, either. Nicks just doesn't have the explosiveness he has in the past. Neither he or Cruz are getting any separation. The opposing DB's seem to know exactly where they want to go. The O line is up and down.....but more and more, it looks like opposing defenses have figured the Giants out. Anytime you have some success in the NFL, the rest of the league goes to work on how to stop you. Then it's up to you to make counter adjustments. Eli and Gilly have to find a new way - or at least some new wrinkles - on how to attack. Right now, defenses are attacking them more than vice versa.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. The O-line play wasn't great but there were a lot of missed opportunities. And Eli did not seem to move around or out of (when needed) the pocket yesterday. He seemed to do his best Kerry Collins, statue-in-the-pocket impersonation. The offense is out of rhythm and that's mostly on Eli, unfortunately.

I honestly think that would have been a competitive game if we make a short FG and convert those 4th downs. After Eli threw the pick and we went down 7-0, they had a great drive, with Eli having plenty of time to throw, Wilson ripping off some decent runs, then Tynes misses a gimmie. They score again but again we look we move the ball, only to come up with their usual crappy short yardage plays and get stopped on 4th down. Even at 17-3, I thought we'd get back in the game because we again moved the ball downfield easily, only to get stopped on 3rd AND 4th down again! After that, it got out of hand.....but get in the endzone on at least one of those early drives and that game could have looked different.

Manning stunk last night. The first INT he threw into double coverage but he was hit as he threw the ball Wilson got blown up trying to pass protects. Snee and Diehl got used all game they could not pick up critical 3rd and 2 and 4th and 2 fall ahead rushing plays. IMO the onus starts with Eli, then the oline, then the lack of a pass rush.

There is no silver lining here.

You guys will think I'm crazy, but I think the Giants sat on their trump cards yesterday. That doesn't excuse 34-0... but I didn't expect a win either. Not yesterday.

If there's one thing I've learned about Coughlin's Giants, they're playing for championships, not merely to make the playoffs. Losing yesterday makes for a tough road to get in the playoffs... but had they shot their load yesterday, they would have been far less likely to get past Atlanta on the road late in the playoffs.

So they played it vanilla and counted on execution to keep it close.

Manning stunk last night. The first INT he threw into double coverage but he was hit as he threw the ball Wilson got blown up trying to pass protects. Snee and Diehl got used all game they could not pick up critical 3rd and 2 and 4th and 2 fall ahead rushing plays. IMO the onus starts with Eli, then the oline, then the lack of a pass rush.

There is no silver lining here.

Yeah, they never gave us a good replay of that, but that first INT was really on Wilson. Nicks was doubled, but he had room to turn and run if the ball gets through. The hit took all the velocity off the throw.

But there's something else, too. Eli has thrown many of those passes into a crowd, counting on Nicks to outmuscle the DB and come away with the ball. Nicks just doesn't have the same attacking gear when the ball is in the air right now. I think after the season, we'll find out he's played with injuries that were much worse than anybody knows. Meanwhile, Eli can't be taking the chances he's gotten away with in the past.

But there's something else, too. Eli has thrown many of those passes into a crowd, counting on Nicks to outmuscle the DB and come away with the ball. Nicks just doesn't have the same attacking gear when the ball is in the air right now. I think after the season, we'll find out he's played with injuries that were much worse than anybody knows. Meanwhile, Eli can't be taking the chances he's gotten away with in the past.

True. On that deep ball that was just out of Nicks' reach, a year ago that was 6 points.

I am starting to wonder if it wouldn't be best to just go with Cruz/Hixon and get Nicks some more rest. He's not quite the same guy out there...

True. On that deep ball that was just out of Nicks' reach, a year ago that was 6 points.

I am starting to wonder if it wouldn't be best to just go with Cruz/Hixon and get Nicks some more rest. He's not quite the same guy out there...

Ding ding

As Eli goes, so go the Giants. He set the tone with the interception early.

Pretty much man. He hasn't taken very good care of the ball this year. Nicks definitely isn't the same and that's certainly hurting the offense but it's something we have to deal with for the rest of the year. I expect a big rebound from him next season with his free agency coming up. Our third down defense killed us too. Atlanta was 9/13. That's going to happen against a good team when you can't generate a pass rush. Yesterday sucked but big picture win out and we're in and we've still yet to have a losing season during Eli's tenure. Maybe things won't break for us this year but we'll be alright. We have a coach, a quarterback, and a good talent evaluator in Reese.

Pretty much man. He hasn't taken very good care of the ball this year. Nicks definitely isn't the same and that's certainly hurting the offense but it's something we have to deal with for the rest of the year. I expect a big rebound from him next season with his free agency coming up. Our third down defense killed us too. Atlanta was 9/13. That's going to happen against a good team when you can't generate a pass rush. Yesterday sucked but big picture win out and we're in and we've still yet to have a losing season during Eli's tenure. Maybe things won't break for us this year but we'll be alright. We have a coach, a quarterback, and a good talent evaluator in Reese.

Love it. Thats how you put things in perspective RunIt. :cool:

The whole Nicks' conversation is what I'm talking about as far as how his diminished ability right now has hurt the offense. Nicks isn't going to come in riding a white horse to rescue this offense this season. It's just not going to happen. And again, I hate that I was right about this... but this team royally, absolutely positively fucked up in the most massive way by not sitting Nicks down for that last preseason game and even the season opener against Dallas. Here's a player that is as critical to your season as pretty much any single player on the defense. Hakeem Nicks, when he's right, is a dominant force that has to be accounted for on every play. And he's coming off a pretty serious injury. What you do there... you play it conservatively. You say... "you know what, Hakeem. The docs have cleared you for action but we want you for the long haul. You need to rehab for 2 more weeks. Come December and January you'll be glad we sat you down and really let you get back to full strength." If they rest Nicks until week 2, I just think his whole season is different. I think Hakeem is a 8-10 TD guy at this point with a thousand yards. But they were in such a hurry to get him back on the field... when it's a marathon, not a sprint.

When Eli is having trouble finding Cruz... it's because the defense is ok with single coverage on Nicks. When you're not seeing big after-the-catch plays by Nicks... that's because he's not right. And we aren't seeing that. That's a major problem.

So you have to write him off at this point. I'm not saying bench him. What I'm saying is Eli needs to get pretty creative right now or Rueben Randle needs to start dominating. Because I believe Randle can be a terrific receiver. But there doesn't seem to be the level of trust yet between Eli and Randle... or Randle and the coaches. So here we go. Somebody has to strike fear into the defense. Somebody has to earn Cruz some single coverage. And somebody has to start scorching some secondaries. As for me, I'm looking for that somebody to be Rueben Randle. Because again, Hakeem isn't going to be 100% this season. If we make the playoffs, that performance we got from him last year IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. It's got to be somebody else, Eli has to be perfect, masterful in spreading the ball around. I'm hoping that Randle can show he's a real playmaker. We need that from him starting now.

Agree. The difference from last year is that we got both Nicks and Cruz drawing double, giving Eli options and spread the field.

I think Nicks injured himself on that one play where he caught the ball and landed both knee onto the concrete sideline. I forgot which game it was, i keel thinking its one of the cowgirl or iggle game. But Can you imagine what type of harm/pain that could do to both knees?

Agree Eli wasn't good but none of the other parts of the O were very good, either. Nicks just doesn't have the explosiveness he has in the past. Neither he or Cruz are getting any separation. The opposing DB's seem to know exactly where they want to go. The O line is up and down.....but more and more, it looks like opposing defenses have figured the Giants out. Anytime you have some success in the NFL, the rest of the league goes to work on how to stop you. Then it's up to you to make counter adjustments. Eli and Gilly have to find a new way - or at least some new wrinkles - on how to attack. Right now, defenses are attacking them more than vice versa.

Honestly, the solution is going to be in moving receivers around presnap and being a little more unpredictable with where guys are lining up on the field....creating mismatches which the Giants have been unable to do in recent weeks....they seemed to be on to something against NO, but I'm not too sure that wasn't just because NO sucks.

if Haggis hadnt missed that bloody 30 yarder ......then maybe ......

that deflated the whole team ...after a really good , balanced early drive.

I was kind of shocked that the team was so scared of putting up 3 points after that, though. 17-3 if Tynes connects on that, what 48 yarder that they passed up on to go for 4th down? You gotta rely on him there....even if it is Tynes...it's indoors in a dome, he hits it straight and true, it should go through. Then we pass up ANOTHER chance to put points on the board before the half for no reason. 17-3 and 17-6 if he nails the 48 yarder isn't all that bad to be down going into the half, it's two scores but you still have half the game and should be well aware that you're offense can put up 14 points in 4 minutes, let alone 30. I mean, I'm sure Coughlin is going for the FG if Tynes nails the first one, but still, it was like we panicked and lost our heads. That's on the coaches, first and foremost. Then, the players as a whole failed to execute.

Yeah, I don't think it's unreasonable to say we panicked. Maybe having points on the board changes the second half a bit but bottom line Atlanta came to play. They obviously didn't forget about last year and I'm sure they heard the talking heads questioning their legitimacy as contenders. This ass kicking might even help for Sunday. Humiliation can be a good motivator. We've seen them respond after bad performances so hopefully they come out angry and give themselves a chance to extend the season.