SportsWrath

Mara "NO Thank you" on thanksgiving

Lughead

Thanks, but no thanks

Wellington Mara was never opposed to playing on Thanksgiving but he did not rise up and insist the Giants play on the most classic of American holidays. When a league proposal came down to rotate the Thanksgiving games, Mara the traditionalist stood up and stated he felt the games should stay in Dallas and Detroit.

In the past 30 years the Giants have played only three times on Thanksgiving: at Detroit in 1982 (a 13-6 victory), at Dallas in 1992 (a 30-3 loss) and at Denver in 2009 (a 26-6 loss). Before 1982 the Giants hadn’t played on Thanksgiving since 1938.

John Mara has no issue with the Giants taking their turn playing on Thanksgiving — on the road. He wasn’t pleased three years ago when “on the road’’ turned out to be about as far as you can get, to the mile-high altitude of Denver.

As far as home games on Thanksgiving, Mara has always said the same thing: No thanks.

“We have never volunteered to host a game on Thanksgiving because I just don’t think our fans would want it,’’ Mara told The Post.

That is the exact scenario Woody Johnson craves for his Jets, which is why for the second time in three years they are playing on Thanksgiving night, at home. Different strokes for different franchises.

link 2nd page

I always thought that Thanksgiving game against Detroit was in 81...LT's first year with the G-men when he ran back an INT for a TD. Anyway slipping in my Old Age...Enjoy... :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpeb5FVGrhQ

LOL.....right around 0:25.....LT absolutely blows up #76.....poor sap had no idea who he was playing.

Unbelievable.....I couldn't even imagine how much a player like LT would be pulling down in today's NFL.

LOL.....right around 0:25.....LT absolutely blows up #76.....poor sap had no idea who he was playing.

Unbelievable.....I couldn't even imagine how much a player like LT would be pulling down in today's NFL.

Before or after fines and suspensions?

Or how about sack #3? Guy runs through a 260 lb tackle and tosses the qb with one arm.

Lawrence Taylor was not a human being.

He would be half a teams payroll. Just imagine if we had an offense to go with that defense back then. We would have at least two more Superbowls.

Gotta love Summerall at the end. "And he's got a bad knee"!! LT was the best ever....period.

WORD!!! Saw that game at my Grandma's house at 18 and i can remember even the women in my family who hated football just watching in awe at what LT did in this game . That is why I always hated the next LT comparisons. He was the greatest football player ever.

76 was just shit on in that first play!

76 was just shit on in that first play!