SportsWrath

Gilbride Blames everyone

Lughead

Ralph Vacchiano

2 minutes ago

Asked if David Diehl is to blame for the Giants' recent OL troubles, Kevin Gilbride said "You would love to say ...

... it’s this one thing or one person or one aspect, but it doesn’t work out that way. Believe me when I tell you this, it’s all of us. We all have to do better. Sometimes it’s (Eli) trying to force the ball because he’s trying to make a play to get us going. Sometimes it’s the protection, just not being quite as solid as it needs to be. Sometimes it’s the receivers. Sometimes it’s the call that’s not the best call for that defense. It’s everything." #NYG

On Sunday it was most certainly David Diehl as the biggest culprit and goat. It's noble not to throw him under the bus here but let's be real, Eli had no time to throw the ball and spent more time running for his life and stepping up to avoid the quick rush off Diehl's side into the waiting arms of a collapsing Cincy defensive tackle (mostly that friggin Hawaiian or Samoan dude)....that entire side of the line folded and got ass-pounded.

Cruz deserves a nod here, too....besides not being able to get open, he dropped a wide open though more than likely meaningless long touchdown pass.

It's getting really close to being time to replace Gilbride. I appreciate that he has 2 rings, and the offense has put up pretty numbers in past years, and that injuries and innefective play has been an issue this year, but this offense has been terrible lately, and not really all that good all year.

It's getting really close to being time to replace Gilbride. I appreciate that he has 2 rings, and the offense has put up pretty numbers in past years, and that injuries and innefective play has been an issue this year, but this offense has been terrible lately, and not really all that good all year.

I think the only way he leaves is after the season when the coaching carrousel starts up..... I hope he goes to Philly.

I think not having a consistent, effective ground game has finally caught up to this team. Last season Eli completely carried the offense, winning some games that we otherwise wouldn't have if he wasn't playing at such a high level. Now he's having one of his worst stretch of games in years and these are the results. Until they can get teams to respect the run we're probably going to see a lot of the struggles continue. It's definitely hurting the receivers ability to get separation and open things up downfield.

I used to be pretty quick to give Gilbride the hook.....I just want him to change some things up.

I think not having a consistent, effective ground game has finally caught up to this team. Last season Eli completely carried the offense, winning some games that we otherwise wouldn't have if he wasn't playing at such a high level. Now he's having one of his worst stretch of games in years and these are the results. Until they can get teams to respect the run we're probably going to see a lot of the struggles continue. It's definitely hurting the receivers ability to get separation and open things up downfield.

I'm so tired of this team being one-dimensional. 6 rushes in the 1st half....fucking sad.

Unfortunately, the defense was a major problem yesterday....in fact, I blame the defense more than the offense......they let the Bengals jump out to a 14 point lead halfway through the 1st quarter, which is one reason the Giants offense was so unbalanced yesterday.

Replacing Gilbride is a terrible idea. I think Eli needs consistency and losing Mike Sullivan may have something to do with this funk. Eli just hasn't looked very comfortable all season. Sullivan has been doing a great job in TB.

Seriously, what the hell are you guys talking about?

"What's the matter with Eli?" Nothing. Eli is playing like Eli. He goes through this every season. LAST year was the anomaly, not this one.

This is who we are. Start 6-2, finish somewhere between 2-6 and 4-4, hope other teams suck worse, sneak into the playoffs, and then turn it on.

I'm more pissed that with a defense that finished in the bottom third of the league, Reese went out and drafted zero defensive players in the first four rounds. However, having a fourth-string WR, third-string RB, and TE that might not ever contribute has been awesome so far.

Unfortunately, the defense was a major problem yesterday....in fact, I blame the defense more than the offense......they let the Bengals jump out to a 14 point lead halfway through the 1st quarter, which is one reason the Giants offense was so unbalanced yesterday.

I'm going to disagree with you again Joe. The first TD was clearly a brainfart and/or miscommunication by the secondary and totally on them. The next three TDs were all the result of very short fields; #2 was from 11 yards out after a 68 yard punt return, #3 was from 12 yards out after an INT, and #4 was from 16 yards after Eli's 2nd INT in a row. The Bengals got a handed a lot of cheap points; Dalton had 4 TDs with less than 200 yards! The Offense and STs didn't give the D a fucking chance.

I'm going to disagree with you again Joe. The first TD was clearly a brainfart and/or miscommunication by the secondary and totally on them. The next three TDs were all the result of very short fields; #2 was from 11 yards out after a 68 yard punt return, #3 was from 12 yards out after an INT, and #4 was from 16 yards after Eli's 2nd INT in a row. The Bengals got a handed a lot of cheap points; Dalton had 4 TDs with less than 200 yards! The Offense and STs didn't give the D a fucking chance.

...almost makes you wonder how the Giants only came away with 9 points off 4 picks in the red zone vs. Dallas.

On Sunday it was most certainly David Diehl as the biggest culprit and goat. It's noble not to throw him under the bus here but let's be real, Eli had no time to throw the ball and spent more time running for his life and stepping up to avoid the quick rush off Diehl's side into the waiting arms of a collapsing Cincy defensive tackle (mostly that friggin Hawaiian or Samoan dude)....that entire side of the line folded and got ass-pounded.

Cruz deserves a nod here, too....besides not being able to get open, he dropped a wide open though more than likely meaningless long touchdown pass.

That could have been the spark we need for a comeback... Cruz fucked up big time.

I understand your point, but a good defense holds an opponent to FGs in situations like that.

I understand your point, but a good defense holds an opponent to FGs in situations like that.

Name one D that could defend against that kind of starting position. Those were the easiest TDs Dalton will get in his whole damn career.

Also, if the O could convert a 3rd down once in a while the D might have a chance to catch their breath.

You can look at specific plays - the turnovers, losing Green for the TD, Cruz's drop - but the truth is, we got beat snap to snap, play to play. We lost damn near every battle at the line of scrimmage. We got outplayed all goddamn day. I agree with all of the above - the receivers are getting NO seperation, we can't run the ball, Oline is leaky in pass protection and our tackling is awful. But the most glaring WTF? to me is, what happened to our vaunted defensive line? Dalton had all day to throw and never looked the slighest bit hurried or flustered. The DL better stop reading their scrapbooks and start playing football again or we're going nowhere.

You can look at specific plays - the turnovers, losing Green for the TD, Cruz's drop - but the truth is, we got beat snap to snap, play to play. We lost damn near every battle at the line of scrimmage. We got outplayed all goddamn day. I agree with all of the above - the receivers are getting NO seperation, we can't run the ball, Oline is leaky in pass protection and our tackling is awful. But the most glaring WTF? to me is, what happened to our vaunted defensive line? Dalton had all day to throw and never looked the slighest bit hurried or flustered. The DL better stop reading their scrapbooks and start playing football again or we're going nowhere.

Nicks. I think the guys should be left alone to heal and not be rushed back into service. Same with Bradshaw... a fresh legged Bradshaw is much more effective... otherwise he's a liability. Put Locklear back in there...

There was lots of weird shit on the field that day. An example, at one point I saw the Giants go four wide, trips right in a bunched formation. They rarely get cute like that, so I thought a play was on. And the Bengals were in zone too, there were three guys spaces out to take the nearly stacked three WRs to the right, it was the perfect time for a zone busting route combo. At the snap at least two of the receivers came free, one of them by 10 yards or more, totally busted coverage...

...but Eli was looking the other way the entire time... to the fourth WR, all alone on the left side... who was double-covered. WHAT. THE. FUCK! Stuff like that, time and time again.

There was lots of weird shit on the field that day. An example, at one point I saw the Giants go four wide, trips right in a bunched formation. They rarely get cute like that, so I thought a play was on. And the Bengals were in zone too, there were three guys spaces out to take the nearly stacked three WRs to the right, it was the perfect time for a zone busting route combo. At the snap at least two of the receivers came free, one of them by 10 yards or more, totally busted coverage...

...but Eli was looking the other way the entire time... to the fourth WR, all alone on the left side... who was double-covered. WHAT. THE. FUCK! Stuff like that, time and time again.

He's totally locking in on one receiver, has been for a few weeks. It's a hallmark of Bad Eli. Good Eli doesn't do that.

Name one D that could defend against that kind of starting position. Those were the easiest TDs Dalton will get in his whole damn career.

Also, if the O could convert a 3rd down once in a while the D might have a chance to catch their breath.

Dallas' defense against the Giants' starting offense.

Like Seph mentioned.....Dallas D kept the Giants out the end zone. Also, the 49er D kept the Giants out of the end zone following some gift-wrapped turnovers.

Regarding our 3rd down conversions......the entire NFL knows that the Giants are going to pass on 3rd and short. It's a Gilbride thing.....no better way to keep a drive going than an 18 yard sideline tip-toe route on 3rd and 1.

Based on a pre-snap read or just damned determined to throw the ball on that side straight out of the huddle... :P

He's totally locking in on one receiver, has been for a few weeks. It's a hallmark of Bad Eli. Good Eli doesn't do that.

I have noticed this also. As I stated before I wonder if he is missing Sullivan more than we think. When I was at the first Cowboys game he seemed to be staring down receivers also. Maybe a poster who watches NFL rewind can confirm but in my opinion this has been happening all year.

Gilbride is right though. Everyone on offense is fucking up right now.

Yeah man, this trend of having ups and downs like this is starting to take its toll. These were all big troubles of last year. Flashes of a really good football team, then a major slump.. And honestly I love the Giants but in reality how much more Magic do these guys have? We've had some pretty damn amazing runs when we have made it to the playoffs and got that first win and never looked back. With this core of players, offensively and defensively, are these guys gonna get it together?

I agree with Gilbride. Everyone on this team is to blame for this 6-3 record. The New York Giants have pulled together to cover their weaknesses and rely on their strengths up to the breaking point to be where they are. FIRST PLACE in the DIVISION. Yeah the division is looking a lot like the NFC West this year with so many team not having a winning record but lets not kid ourselves in thinking every loss was a blowout and every victory assured.

Right now the team is at the same crossroads they always find themselves at, either they pick themselves up and play like Giants or they fold and play out the season. Its anyones guess as to what happens but unlike other teams, our Giants have put themselves in a great position to make a push into the playoffs.

:giants: