SportsWrath

Rumor: Giants looking to trade for Bongles LB Rivers.

BlueInCanada

Rivers has not lived up to the 8 overall pick. Nothing to get excited over this trade. I've heard a few years back, for a LB, he plays like a girl. As if he's afraid of contact. Not a good sign for a LB folks.

Wha...??? He's been called out for screwing up his coverages, but I've never heard a complaint about his physicality. Just talking to some Bengals fans today about him, they're a bit salty he's gone. None of them had any complaints about him... when he was on the field, that is.

Its been said that he wasn't quite the same after the Hines Ward hit that broke his jaw though. Guess we'll see...

Wha...??? He's been called out for screwing up his coverages, but I've never heard a complaint about his physicality. Just talking to some Bengals fans today about him, they're a bit salty he's gone. None of them had any complaints about him... when he was on the field, that is.

Its been said that he wasn't quite the same after the Hines Ward hit that broke his jaw though. Guess we'll see...

that was more of a cheap shot by Ward too, I have heard the opposite of Rivers too, that he is very physical and hits like a tank. He does get mixed in coverages, but we go with 10 DB's in passing situations anyway.

Two things come to mind regarding this rivers trade.

One. If this guy is good. How the F bongals only got a 5th rounder for him? Aren't there other teams in need of a good LB? We are looking for a GOOD LB right? Not a sub or insurance right?

Second. Could be the fact that rivers knew he won't be making jack from sitting on the side. These contracts has a lot of BS with the amount of hits, sacks to make up for the total amount. Could he be looking for a winning team like the Giants and wants to come here knowing we got weak LB group so he could start?

Bongals could be nice and let him go. Besides a 5th founder is cheap and worth to gamble on some kid with lots of upside.

I really hope this pans out and let last years rookies learn and improve. Rookies always performs well during their first year until coaches get scouting reports on them and figure ways to out match them. That's why there's a term call "second year slumb".

I know I'm answering my own question but just throwing shit out there

Guys, I'm not trying to be negative. I'm being realistic... The word is Rivers is too timid. Now, I don't know its because all of the injuries he has had in the past. Or the fucked up hit Hines gave to him... I don't know. But there's a reason why the Giants got him for a 5 rounder. And it's not because of his coverage.

Too timid???

Personally.....I haven't a clue. But I know that TC is one tenacious coach and this deal was not pulled off without his blessings. I don't believe for a second that the Giants staff would trade for this guy if they didn't check him out from head to toe and know exactly what they're getting.

That's the problem with reading tons of stories.....writers need to write things to keep relevant even though none of them are in the doctor's offices or training facilities or in the war room with the staff.

I trust Reese and TC that they are competent in making this trade.

Guys, I'm not trying to be negative. I'm being realistic... The word is Rivers is too timid. Now, I don't know its because all of the injuries he has had in the past. Or the fucked up hit Hines gave to him... I don't know. But there's a reason why the Giants got him for a 5 rounder. And it's not because of his coverage.

i think you have to keep in mind it's the Bongles.

They have a good LB core as it is, this guy hasn't panned out and is set to be a free agent soon. They weren't going to resign him so they went out and got something for him.

i think you have to keep in mind it's the Bongles.

They have a good LB core as it is, this guy hasn't panned out and is set to be a free agent soon. They weren't going to resign him so they went out and got something for him.

Yeah, from the Bengals point of view, Rivers was a luxury given the players they had AND he had an over 2 million cap hit. So it benefited the Bengals to move him. It benefited us from picking him up on the cheap. Both sides won in this trade, which is probably why it happened.

I'm not overly optimistic about the move like the articles that reference his high draft status would like me to be, but I also don't hate it and think that the low risk/high potential aspect of the trade, to attempt to secure a position at which we've shown a weakness is a good thing.

The ripples of the trade could be noticeable too. Osi's a free agent next year. If Rivers pans out, Kiwi could move back to DE and we then have the leverage in the Osi contract dealings. If Rivers does not pan out, then we blew a 5th, damn near 6th rounder on a guy who was a lower risk than any draft pick we were going to get at that spot. I'm completely okay with that.

I think Reese is just getting the team in position so that on draft day he has a lot of options and will go for the BPA. The one wild day of trading and picking up FA's makes one forget he already picked up Bennett. Depth at TE - check. Depth at LB - check. Depth on right side of the o-line - check. Depth at CB - check.

It's better to go into the draft after the team has been massaged and filled with veteran fillers than to go into it with glaring holes. And Rivers could pan out to be much better than a filler. I suspect Reese and TC will be looking at the RB and WR position early in the draft. Of course, the Giants have been anything other than conventional when they draft - specially first round. There should be at least one gem left on the board that falls through the cracks.

I'm cranked for draft day!

I think Reese is just getting the team in position so that on draft day he has a lot of options and will go for the BPA. The one wild day of trading and picking up FA's makes one forget he already picked up Bennett. Depth at TE - check. Depth at LB - check. Depth on right side of the o-line - check. Depth at CB - check.

It's better to go into the draft after the team has been massaged and filled with veteran fillers than to go into it with glaring holes. And Rivers could pan out to be much better than a filler. I suspect Reese and TC will be looking at the RB and WR position early in the draft. Of course, the Giants have been anything other than conventional when they draft - specially first round. There should be at least one gem left on the board that falls through the cracks.

I'm cranked for draft day!

I wouldn't check off TE depth quite that easily...Ballard, Bennett...both FA after 2012...drafting a TE could ease that.

OT - Brewer is unproven, Locklear isn't necessarily a walk-in-and-start kind of guy. Diehl is starting to show some age. Beatty, I'm not nearly as sold on him as others are..and he's coming off eye surgery. So, I could easily see us addressing the depth issue here as well.

But you're right, we have made some moves that have afforded us greater flexibility. We don't need to find a TE to start this year and could draft one who'd be ready to start next year. We could find an OT that could start a few years down the road. We could easily go DE again too, to leverage against the Osi negotiations that are upcoming.

I wouldn't check off TE depth quite that easily...Ballard, Bennett...both FA after 2012...drafting a TE could ease that.

OT - Brewer is unproven, Locklear isn't necessarily a walk-in-and-start kind of guy. Diehl is starting to show some age. Beatty, I'm not nearly as sold on him as others are..and he's coming off eye surgery. So, I could easily see us addressing the depth issue here as well.

But you're right, we have made some moves that have afforded us greater flexibility. We don't need to find a TE to start this year and could draft one who'd be ready to start next year. We could find an OT that could start a few years down the road. We could easily go DE again too, to leverage against the Osi negotiations that are upcoming.

I agree and I think the Giants would grab Fleeny if he was still on the board (which I doubt). I don't think any other TE is worth a first rounder. The other TE's in the draft rated as high or higher than Fleeny (depending on what source you read) are all 6'3", give or take an inch. Which in my opinion, is just another undersized tweener like Beckum that can't get it done when called to block.

Should OT's Cordy Glen or Jonathan Martin fall to the 32nd pick, I think we'd be nuts not to grab either of them.

Should be a very intersesting draft.

I agree and I think the Giants would grab Fleeny if he was still on the board (which I doubt). I don't think any other TE is worth a first rounder. The other TE's in the draft rated as high or higher than Fleeny (depending on what source you read) are all 6'3", give or take an inch. Which in my opinion, is just another undersized tweener like Beckum that can't get it done when called to block.

Should OT's Cordy Glen or Jonathan Martin fall to the 32nd pick, I think we'd be nuts not to grab either of them.

Should be a very intersesting draft.

OT's Glen, Martin, Adams...would be fine with

TE Fleener...would be fine with

RB Martin...would be fine with

Rivers Renegotiates Deal For Giants

The Giants’ steal of a deal for linebacker Keith Rivers last week has gotten a little better.

The team was able to lower the linebacker’s salary cap number by signing him to a new, one-year contract that a source said is worth $1.25 million. That’s a reduction of $910,000 from the $2.16 million he was set to earn from the Bengals in 2012.

The exact details of the deal are not yet known, but assuming that $1.25 million is his total with salary and bonus then that would be his salary cap number, too. Rivers, who was acquired by the Giants last week for a fifth-round pick in this year’s draft, would’ve cost the Giants approximately $2.4 million against the cap if he hadn’t renegotiated his deal.

And actually, according to a source, it wasn’t really a renegotiation. Technically it was a completely new deal. Rivers’ old deal with the Bengals ended when he reached a settlement with the team on a non-football injury grievance, according to a source. He did that and agreed to a new deal in order to facilitate the trade to the Giants.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/04/super-bowl-champs-return-to-work

Why did we give the Bongles a 5ht then? Does a team still own the player's rights after an injury settlement?

I believe the renogiation was a condition of the trade. One went with the other. Had he not regotiated, we'd not have have traded and he'd have stayed with the Bengals.

That's how I read it anyhow, given the last sentence of the article

I believe the renogiation was a condition of the trade. One went with the other. Had he not regotiated, we'd not have have traded and he'd have stayed with the Bengals.

That's how I read it anyhow, given the last sentence of the article

I read it as he completed a new deal and was immediately traded. His old deal had already ended (due to the injury settlement).

I read it as he completed a new deal and was immediately traded. His old deal had already ended (due to the injury settlement).

Like I said, I think the injury settlement/end of old deal went hand in hand with the new deal the Giants gave him. Regardless, we got the better end of the deal as it's high potential, low risk

Like I said, I think the injury settlement/end of old deal went hand in hand with the new deal the Giants gave him. Regardless, we got the better end of the deal as it's high potential, low risk

Oh, I read it like they were two seperate things, that the injury settlement was reached earlier. Thanks.