SportsWrath

Today's game reminded me of the 80's.

Sephiroth

Low-scoring (by today's standards), came right down to the wire... reminded me of Simms/Taylor Giants vs the Montana/Lott Niners of the past.

Even down to the division standings... as usual, the Giants are in a division where three teams might make the playoffs and the Niners are in one that has a five-game difference between first and second place.

Is this 1986?

Low-scoring (by today's standards), came right down to the wire... reminded me of Simms/Taylor Giants vs the Montana/Lott Niners of the past.

Even down to the division standings... as usual, the Giants are in a division where three teams might make the playoffs and the Niners are in one that has a five-game difference between first and second place.

Is this 1986?

3 teams from OUR division??? You cant tell me you think the eagles will make it.... :unsure:

Nope, there is no way 3 teams from our division make it. The Eagles are totally out of it. Too many teams ahead of them and they don't look like they have any will to win whatsoever.

I think the Cowboys are going to get a WC spot because they have an easy road. Detroit, Chicago, and Atlanta will compete for another WC spot.

Division winners and seeds in this order: GB, SF, NYG, N.O., and my prediction for WC's - Dallas and Chicago.

In that scenario we would play Chicago round one and a rematch with SF in round two.

Can't leave it to the fourth quarter every fucking game.

I kept telling the woman that the Giants are trying to kill every fan with heart attacks. Great to watch, it's game of the week on Tuesday 9:30, but makes for some heart palpitations.

I kept telling the woman that the Giants are trying to kill every fan with heart attacks. Great to watch, it's game of the week on Tuesday 9:30, but makes for some heart palpitations.

Oh cool I might get to see it then, I'm in Australia right now and only got ATL v NO.

Agreed 100%. Total lack of urgency until their backs are against the wall.

Yep. We moved the ball so well on the first two drives, getting both inside the 10 only to settle for two field goals. We have to be able to punch it in. Where's Ramses? Can we just try him out across from Nicks and throw the corner fade to whoever doesn't get safety help? And if they give both sides safety help, then the middle should be wide open to operate for Ballard and Cruz. Please KG, just try Barden in the red zone. FOR ME.

Also, that onsides kick was so big for Harbaugh. Ballsy and they needed that and a couple more breaks to win this game, which they got. That onsides kick really hurt us. That and the two INTs were the difference in the game.

And yet, we were this close to tying when Manningham just couldn't haul in that bomb.

Yep. We moved the ball so well on the first two drives, getting both inside the 10 only to settle for two field goals. We have to be able to punch it in. Where's Ramses? Can we just try him out across from Nicks and throw the corner fade to whoever doesn't get safety help? And if they give both sides safety help, then the middle should be wide open to operate for Ballard and Cruz. Please KG, just try Barden in the red zone. FOR ME.

Also, that onsides kick was so big for Harbaugh. Ballsy and they needed that and a couple more breaks to win this game, which they got. That onsides kick really hurt us. That and the two INTs were the difference in the game.

And yet, we were this close to tying when Manningham just couldn't haul in that bomb.

My uncle has a lot of connections in the sports world... I know, I know, I'm some guy on a message board who's uncle works in sports and blah, blah, blah... but anyways, he said that the coaching staff wanted to cut Barden and Reese basically wouldn't let them do it. Take it for what it's worth.

The onside kick didn't really hurt us.. I think Eli's 2nd INT was a back breaker... our come-back needed to be 14 points thanks to that INT...

The onside kick didn't really hurt us.. I think Eli's 2nd INT was a back breaker... our come-back needed to be 14 points thanks to that INT...

You're way wrong on this one. Not only did the 49ers get another 3 points on that possession, but it cost us a possession. It also swung momentum way in the 49ers favor. After our initial possession in the 2nd quarter, it's like we didn't even get the ball back... AND we had to kick to the 49ers to start the 2nd half. When we finally did get the ball in the 2nd quarter, there was just under 2 minutes left and and Eli threw a pick on 2nd and 10, 2nd play from scrimmage. It was a disaster as far as momentum and game management. Had the 49ers not recovered that ball, the game is probably at least tied, 9-9, or we have the lead going into the locker room. That play allowed the 49ers to keep the ball out of Eli's hands.

That INT on the throw to Manningham... it might have been intercepted whether or not Mario kept running the route or not. The DB was right in front of Mario when he made his cut inside. There was nowhere to throw that ball that Mario was going to make a catch there. The best that could've happened was that Mario might have prevented the ball from being intercepted. But I understood what MM was doing, he was going to break outside because that was the way to get open. Just a bad time for Eli to throw it... a split second later he'd see Mario break outside and hit him for a big gain. Really an unfortunate play.

You're way wrong on this one. Not only did the 49ers get another 3 points on that possession, but it cost us a possession. It also swung momentum way in the 49ers favor. After our initial possession in the 2nd quarter, it's like we didn't even get the ball back... AND we had to kick to the 49ers to start the 2nd half. When we finally did get the ball in the 2nd quarter, there was just under 2 minutes left and and Eli threw a pick on 2nd and 10, 2nd play from scrimmage. It was a disaster as far as momentum and game management. Had the 49ers not recovered that ball, the game is probably at least tied, 9-9, or we have the lead going into the locker room. That play allowed the 49ers to keep the ball out of Eli's hands.

That INT on the throw to Manningham... it might have been intercepted whether or not Mario kept running the route or not. The DB was right in front of Mario when he made his cut inside. There was nowhere to throw that ball that Mario was going to make a catch there. The best that could've happened was that Mario might have prevented the ball from being intercepted. But I understood what MM was doing, he was going to break outside because that was the way to get open. Just a bad time for Eli to throw it... a split second later he'd see Mario break outside and hit him for a big gain. Really an unfortunate play.

I understand what you're saying.. but I still don't think that was a back breaker.. so they got up by 3... big deal.. all our D needed to do is force them to punt which it did later in the game.. the INT ... well we were down 14 before long.... and lost the game.

I understand what you're saying.. but I still don't think that was a back breaker.. so they got up by 3... big deal.. all our D needed to do is force them to punt which it did later in the game.. the INT ... well we were down 14 before long.... and lost the game.

It took a possession and potential 7 points from us. That's a potential 10 point swing and the difference in the game. I wish Barden had tried harder to knock the ball loose from the guy who caught it.

My uncle has a lot of connections in the sports world... I know, I know, I'm some guy on a message board who's uncle works in sports and blah, blah, blah... but anyways, he said that the coaching staff wanted to cut Barden and Reese basically wouldn't let them do it. Take it for what it's worth.

they should cut him- he's a failed project.

Not to mention, come the end of the game, had they not recovered the onside kick or even attempted it, we'd more than likely be down 3 and not 7. You take away 3 points off the total and they win by 4....however, if you look back, that 49ers team isn't going for two to go up by 4 instead of 3---because that makes no sense. They'd most certainly kick the extra point so a field goal didn't beat them.

Instead of being forced to get a TD to tie the game, we could have taken our time and tried to win the game with a touchdown. And had that failed, put up the 3 to send it to OT.

And I agree with the Manningham assessment, that was bad luck. Not really the fault of either player. I can see where Manningham was coming from and while I can't really see why Eli was throwing it there in the first place with 3 defenders converging, had Manningham continued the route, it's more than likely just an incomplete pass.....

Reread Jim, Tree, and my posts, please.

It was MOST DEFINITELY the difference in the game.

And ya, you could say that about a lot of plays, but this play in particular was something the other team did that prevented us from winning. The rest were our own damn mistakes.