SportsWrath

Bye Week

Allstarjim

I loved watching that game yesterday. Eli was so good. And that day could've been better as he just missed on long connections and Manningham got stripped on a TD. But great game for the GMEN. I liked how the Giants played the run much better in the 2nd half, that was big. I saw Kiwanuka playing well and making big stops in the run game. And of course, Bradshaw was running real tough, even on the short gainers. We even got a Da'Rell Scott sighting.

Again, JPP was a disruptive force. He's our defensive MVP so far this year. The big time players played big time. I was really happy with the 2nd half defense, came out and responded real well after getting their butts kicked in the first half. It was driving me crazy again, though, seeing us get the Bills into 3rd and long situations and then only rushing 4 at Fitzpatrick. I still think this defense can play better, but I was really happy with the play of Webster (who is proving he's one of the best corners in the NFL), Kiwanuka, Boley, Phillips, and Rolle.

I would've liked to see us punch it in at the end rather than settle for the 3, but glad we pulled the win out.

We have to beat Miami week 8 and after last week's debacle against Seattle I'm not taking anything for granted. I really thought we should be 5-1 right now and even needed to have that record at this point, but we are heading into the bye in first place and I'll definitely take it. Good news is that Grossman has played himself out of the starting lineup, and the 'Skins are probably going with Beck now. Just not a good situation for them. The Cowboys lost again, but have St Louis next week. Then they play the Eagles the following week, tough game to decide who to root for. If Dallas wins they are 4-3 (assuming they beat the Rams). But if Philly wins they are 3-4, and I'd really like to see them 2-5.

Back to us, we really need to win and enjoy playing Miami, because it's not going to get easy after that. The next 5 games are @New England, @San Francisco (that team is on fire, defense is really good, too), home for Philly, @New Orleans, and home for Green Bay. That is about as brutal a 5 game stretch as I can imagine. If we win 3 of those games, I'll be excited, because we should be 8-4 at that point with the final 4 games being manageable, with Washington, the Jets, and both games against Dallas coming in that stretch, and I think we win 3 of those four, minimum.

Now here's the good news. Two weeks without a game... and when we play Miami, we should get some reinforcements, and we're going to need them. Most notably, Tuck and Jacobs should be back, and that's going to be a huge lift. We should also get Prince Amukamara back and I'm excited about him, because he has real athleticism. Hopefully he's a quick study because we need him... Justin Tryon yesterday was a nightmare. Ramses Barden and Adam Koets will also be coming off of PUP. We'll see what we get out of them but it's time for Barden to contribute.

At minimum, the return of Tuck and Jacobs are going to be a big lift to this team, and we can be optimistic about Amukamara improving the secondary as the season goes on, as well.

It amazes me that we could have been 6-0 at this point... but hey... I'd take 4-2 and Eli's play so far over anything. it's not all rosy though.. I really think our DC coach is subpar... maybe I'm spoiled by the visions of Fox and Spags.. who knows. And as I've stated in another thread.. I officially hate easy games.. because we lose those. Bring on the Packers for all I care..

to be 4-2 with all the injuries we've had especially Tuck being out is a blessing.. we are a deep team and we played very well so far.. I'm still concerned our running game isn't where it needs to be.. maybe it has to do with all the shuffling on the the OL... we need our running game to set up the pass... so far it's been the other way around... and let's face it, a powerful/dominant running game means we control the clock.

May I wish Manningham had held on to that (would be) TD... not his fault though.. props to the defender who played it perfectly.. it was a perfect pass ... a perfect catch... but a perfect defensive play as well... props to Eli, Manningham, and (was it McGee?).

Another bright spot is our MLB rookie.. not Jones... his name escapes me at the moment... he seems to be around the ball every time. And Boss who? Fucking Ballard looks like Witten out there... and Smith who? ok.. Cruz needs more time but he's promising and looks to fill the spot left by the defector quite nicely.

Like you said Jim we're expecting reinforcement.. and I wish .. I wish we'd given Scott a bit more time in BJ's absence but hey...

We're in first place... :flex:

i agree with everything but getting jacobs back

he now runs like a woman

dont know what happened to the ol Jacobs.............. maybe its his knees

Jack, he's running smart... no sense of running hard into a wall.

We could be so much better, and should have won that game comfortably. Fewell showed us another mind-bending D scheme (everyone at the line except one safety 25 yards deep) and we get gouged for 140 yard and 2 TDs on two plays. Lets hope he tore that page out of the playbook.

We could be so much better, and should have won that game comfortably. Fewell showed us another mind-bending D scheme (everyone at the line except one safety 25 yards deep) and we get gouged for 140 yard and 2 TDs on two plays. Lets hope he tore that page out of the playbook.

I know Spags is in St Luis.. but where's Fox?

denver

They have combined for a grand total of 1 win this year.

Denver is 31st in pts allowed / game. St Louis is 30th

just saying

Fox has shown what he can do.. could it be cause Denver's personnel suck?

To be fair though some of that if players having brain farts. Grant may not be fast but if he had even just lunged and slowed down Jackson he would not have had a TD. Instead he flat foot the play and completely fucked it up. Ross almost caught him from behind with a nice effort.

To be fair though some of that if players having brain farts. Grant may not be fast but if he had even just lunged and slowed down Jackson he would not have had a TD. Instead he flat foot the play and completely fucked it up. Ross almost caught him from behind with a nice effort.

At that point Grant's job was containment... the hope is to slow the runner down till help arrives.. he took a horrible angle and was slower than snail... glad we won the game though..

Things I learned this past week of football:

- Eli is a lot better than a lot of people have given him credit for

- Philadelphia is not as bad as their record and Washington is not as good as some thought (Giants can take this division if they play smart the rest of the season and avoid injuries)

- There is some excitingly good talent among our crop of rookies and we haven't even had a chance to see how Amakamura will do or Austin once he's healed. I love the intensity of Williams and Jones at LB and Ballard....need I say more....5 catches yesterday for 81 yds and 15 catches for 273 yards so far this year - on pace to surpass Boss’ production last season (35 catches, 531 yards).....and he catches the ball if it is anywhere near him. No dropsies for no reason - good, soft, sticky hands and is a load to bring down. And Cruz is impressive. I had big hopes for Hynoski and he's my lone let down amongst the youngsters.....hopefully, he will come around.

- Webster is a talent that I often overlook and Ross seems to have picked it up enough to look good

- Osi can roll out of bed after a two year nap and still get a sack - we need to pay him what he expects before next season or he will come back to haunt us

- Bottom dwellers Detroit, Oakland, Buffalo, and San Francisco are no longer to be taken lightly and could all end up playing in the post season - something I would have never believed in a million years.

-

Things I learned this past week of football:

- Eli is a lot better than a lot of people have given him credit for

- Philadelphia is not as bad as their record and Washington is not as good as some thought (Giants can take this division if they play smart the rest of the season and avoid injuries)

- There is some excitingly good talent among our crop of rookies and we haven't even had a chance to see how Amakamura will do or Austin once he's healed. I love the intensity of Williams and Jones at LB and Ballard....need I say more....5 catches yesterday for 81 yds and 15 catches for 273 yards so far this year - on pace to surpass Boss’ production last season (35 catches, 531 yards).....and he catches the ball if it is anywhere near him. No dropsies for no reason - good, soft, sticky hands and is a load to bring down. And Cruz is impressive. I had big hopes for Hynoski and he's my lone let down amongst the youngsters.....hopefully, he will come around.

- Webster is a talent that I often overlook and Ross seems to have picked it up enough to look good

- Osi can roll out of bed after a two year nap and still get a sack - we need to pay him what he expects before next season or he will come back to haunt us

- Bottom dwellers Detroit, Oakland, Buffalo, and San Francisco are no longer to be taken lightly and could all end up playing in the post season - something I would have never believed in a million years.

-

Fine.. except on that point.. Osi is good for one or 2 sacks a game.. vanishes most of it.. and still runs so fucking wide allowing QBs RBs to slide/run right past him. And I'm not over his childish bullshit asking for a new contract with TWO fucking years left on his current one for which he got paid handsomely (front loaded)... I think he's a great trade bait and I'll leave it at that.

Fox has shown what he can do.. could it be cause Denver's personnel suck?

absolutely. As Dallas Green so famously said of a bad Yankee team, "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit"

The point here is that at the coordinator level most coaches have pretty much equal talent / knowledge. Whether the players go out and execute is another story.

absolutely. As Dallas Green so famously said of a bad Yankee team, "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit"

The point here is that at the coordinator level most coaches have pretty much equal talent / knowledge. Whether the players go out and execute is another story.

Based on our Sheridan and Tim Lewis debacle I'd say you maybe wrong on this one, H... yes I get you said "most".. but I think Fewel is not exactly a stud DC.

Based on our Sheridan and Tim Lewis debacle I'd say you maybe wrong on this one, H... yes I get you said "most".. but I think Fewel is not exactly a stud DC.

yea well you also apparently think that a strong safety, between the hash marks and 10 yards down field from the line of scrimmage has containment as a primary responsibility so..........

yea well you also apparently think that a strong safety, between the hash marks and 10 yards down field from the line of scrimmage has containment as a primary responsibility so..........

No that's not what I said.. given that situation there's no way old Grant could have made that tackle in an open field.. he should have adjusted his role to containment... that's what I said.

P.S. You're talking to someone who not too long ago was playing CB on the left side and chased down a WR all the way on the right side of the field and made an open field tackle... yea I know.. not at a pro level but an athlete is an athlete... and doing things hands on is far different than doing them from the couch. Thanks for your time.

I'm looking forward to Koets coming back: he's a much better center than Cordle, and that will really help in oline depth. Barden, eh. That's one position where reinforcements won't help much.

Here's hoping that Akumara is as good as everyone hopes. at least so that he can be a 3rd back. I think that defense needs a little more than armbands to learn plays. Tuck coming back will be a big bump.

No that's not what I said.. given that situation there's no way old Grant could have made that tackle in an open field.. he should have adjusted his role to containment... that's what I said.

P.S. You're talking to someone who not too long ago was playing CB on the left side and chased down a WR all the way on the right side of the field and made an open field tackle... yea I know.. not at a pro level but an athlete is an athlete... and doing things hands on is far different than doing them from the couch. Thanks for your time.

Just so you know, in football 'containment' has a very specific meaning...you know that thing that DEs are supposed to do, but Osi doesnt? Thats called containment. Its just semantics, I know what you meant.

Just so you know, in football 'containment' has a very specific meaning...you know that thing that DEs are supposed to do, but Osi doesnt? Thats called containment. Its just semantics, I know what you meant.

Yes I know.. it means don't let the RB go outside of you.. force him back inside.. Now if you have a name for the technique where you face the opposing player and force him to dance in place till your teammates make it there.. that's what I was talking about.

I hope a week off doesn't hurt Eli's hot streak, plus Ross has been playing very well since settling in hope this isn't a set back for him.

I'm more worried about Eli playing when it's colder.. he doesn't seem to like to warm up and usually that's when his game suffers.

Yes I know.. it means don't let the RB go outside of you.. force him back inside.. Now if you have a name for the technique where you face the opposing player and force him to dance in place till your teammates make it there.. that's what I was talking about.

Man you back peddle faster than a poet being asked to wash dishes.

Here's how it works. The tackles and LB'ers have a responsibility to engage blockers, and fill gaps along the line of scrimmage. The ends are supposed to contain the rush by not letting it get to the outside of them.

If a lb'er misses a gap, gets washed out by a blocker or blows a tackle it then becomes incumbent upon the safety to step up and make a tackle. They are not trying to steer the runner anywhere. They are the last line of defense, hence "SAFETY".

I admire the fact that you are intensely loyal to the players but you are crazy if you think this TD was somehow Perry Fewell's fault.

Grant took a bad angle on the runner and got burned. Don't get me wrong, I like Grant a lot and am very glad we have him, but on that play he failed to execute.

Man you back peddle faster than a poet being asked to wash dishes.

Here's how it works. The tackles and LB'ers have a responsibility to engage blockers, and fill gaps along the line of scrimmage. The ends are supposed to contain the rush by not letting it get to the outside of them.

If a lb'er misses a gap, gets washed out by a blocker or blows a tackle it then becomes incumbent upon the safety to step up and make a tackle. They are not trying to steer the runner anywhere. They are the last line of defense, hence "SAFETY".

I admire the fact that you are intensely loyal to the players but you are crazy if you think this TD was somehow Perry Fewell's fault.

Grant took a bad angle on the runner and got burned. Don't get me wrong, I like Grant a lot and am very glad we have him, but on that play he failed to execute.

wow lol.. you seem desperate to win an argument... When did I talk about Fewel on this topic? with respect to that play? Grants band angle and bad judgment cost us that TD.. he could've slowed the guy down 0.5 of a second.. and that TD doesn't happen.. he did not.