SportsWrath

Witherspoon "sprained MCL"

Treehugger

I hate these pre-season injuries. It happens every year and usually to every team. Hopefully Spoon will be okay and the bulk of the team will avoid injuries this year. Injuries are the joker card in the deck and they can change team chemistry in a heartbeat.

I hate these pre-season injuries. It happens every year and usually to every team. Hopefully Spoon will be okay and the bulk of the team will avoid injuries this year. Injuries are the joker card in the deck and they can change team chemistry in a heartbeat.

Which is why I don't understand why some here have blamed TC for T2's injury. it's a freak accident and it happens. What I get :furious: about are the stupid injuries that happen due to lack of conditioning/stretching like pulled quads hammies or groins..

Which is why I don't understand why some here have blamed TC for T2's injury. it's a freak accident and it happens. What I get :furious: about are the stupid injuries that happen due to lack of conditioning/stretching like pulled quads hammies or groins..

Yeah, it was a freak accident... in a game that means NOTHING for players like Thomas. Not just in a game that means nothing, but late, VERY late, in the second quarter of a game that means nothing. They need to institute a rule that says if you are a veteran who we're counting on, and you're NOT competing for your job on the team, you will play no more than two series unless it's absolutely unavoidable. There was no reason for T2 to be on the field just before half-time in that game. JPP I can understand because he needs the reps. T2 simply needed to figuratively survive the preseason and he did not.

We see it almost every year and it's COMPLETELY avoidable. You wouldn't here this bitching if this was a regular season game. I think part of it is because TC really wants to win these preseason games. The Colts are something like 4-24 in preseason games since 2005. The reason is because they protect their starters in games that don't matter.

What's worse, bordering on the ludicrous, insane, and sadistic, is that Witherspoon, a player that has wowed in preseason and camp who has also shot up the depth chart, and likely would've been our nickel corner given T2's injury (which the severity of which WAS KNOWN at the time) is returning punts in the 4th FUCKING QUARTER OF THE FUCKING PRESEASON GAME. That's a guy you are counting on now, to give you significant reps and contributions week 1. For all intents and purposes he's a starter now, playing in the 4th FUCKING QUARTER.... NOT PLAYING CORNER... NO, RETURNING FUCKING PUNTS. :furious: :furious: :furious:

Talk about bad judgement. The first time I saw it, in the 3rd quarter, I said WTF? :ranting2: Then they trot him out there again to return a kick and he fucking sprains his MCL. Right there, I'm on the phone with Cowher, I'm not kidding. I don't care what anyone says, this is not an overreaction, TC put the whole season in jeopardy last night.

T2's value to the success of the team is not tertiary. It's significant. You lose him and then you put another corner out on punt returns? Talk about stupid. If Witherspoon's injury is significant, Reese is going to have to jump through his ass to get a competent corner in the fold or this season is already over, and I'm not joking. We play the Patriots, Packers, Saints, among other big time passing teams, and you can't have a huge liability on one side of the field matching up against Wes Welker or Robert Meachem.

Fuck TC.

I do agree on the stupidity of having Weatherspoon out there after T2s injury. I'm a bit on the fence when it comes to having starters play in preseason.. they do need to get in rhythm and being in a game situation gives them that.

I do agree on the stupidity of having Weatherspoon out there after T2s injury. I'm a bit on the fence when it comes to having starters play in preseason.. they do need to get in rhythm and being in a game situation gives them that.

This is true but there are 4 games to do that in. You play a couple of series and you get out. And let me tell you something else, Nas... TC said the starters were going to play about 25 snaps in this game. On the play that T2 was hurt, it was the 1st team's 28th snap of the game... and it was the first play of that series. At the end of the Bears' previous possession, the 1st team defense had played 27 snaps. So even if TC had just stuck to his fucking own words, as far as the amount of work they were going to get in... T2 would still be with us. His injury happened with about 30 seconds left in the 1st half, with the Giants winning 20-6.

Sorry, I'm still furious over this shit. :furious:

This is true but there are 4 games to do that in. You play a couple of series and you get out. And let me tell you something else, Nas... TC said the starters were going to play about 25 snaps in this game. On the play that T2 was hurt, it was the 1st team's 28th snap of the game... and it was the first play of that series. At the end of the Bears' previous possession, the 1st team defense had played 27 snaps. So even if TC had just stuck to his fucking own words, as far as the amount of work they were going to get in... T2 would still be with us. His injury happened with about 30 seconds left in the 1st half, with the Giants winning 20-6.

Sorry, I'm still furious over this shit. :furious:

Believe me I'm as furious as you are. I even stopped posting in the game thread last night because I was in complete shock. I have been critical of TCs style of coaching and his decision making and this goes to solidify what I already know.

I agree....but seems like the Giants get hit harder than most, and always clustered within one unit. Last season, it was WR, and this season CB.

Every preseason it's the same thing......frankly, I'd be alot happier if they scratch all the preseason games, and just go with controlled scrimmages. I understand injuries can happen in practice too, but at least there, they can dial down the tempo a little bit.

I always remember preseason far more for the injuries than the wins.

Yeah, it was a freak accident... in a game that means NOTHING for players like Thomas. Not just in a game that means nothing, but late, VERY late, in the second quarter of a game that means nothing. They need to institute a rule that says if you are a veteran who we're counting on, and you're NOT competing for your job on the team, you will play no more than two series unless it's absolutely unavoidable. There was no reason for T2 to be on the field just before half-time in that game. JPP I can understand because he needs the reps. T2 simply needed to figuratively survive the preseason and he did not.

We see it almost every year and it's COMPLETELY avoidable. You wouldn't here this bitching if this was a regular season game. I think part of it is because TC really wants to win these preseason games. The Colts are something like 4-24 in preseason games since 2005. The reason is because they protect their starters in games that don't matter.

What's worse, bordering on the ludicrous, insane, and sadistic, is that Witherspoon, a player that has wowed in preseason and camp who has also shot up the depth chart, and likely would've been our nickel corner given T2's injury (which the severity of which WAS KNOWN at the time) is returning punts in the 4th FUCKING QUARTER OF THE FUCKING PRESEASON GAME. That's a guy you are counting on now, to give you significant reps and contributions week 1. For all intents and purposes he's a starter now, playing in the 4th FUCKING QUARTER.... NOT PLAYING CORNER... NO, RETURNING FUCKING PUNTS. :furious: :furious: :furious:

Talk about bad judgement. The first time I saw it, in the 3rd quarter, I said WTF? :ranting2: Then they trot him out there again to return a kick and he fucking sprains his MCL. Right there, I'm on the phone with Cowher, I'm not kidding. I don't care what anyone says, this is not an overreaction, TC put the whole season in jeopardy last night.

T2's value to the success of the team is not tertiary. It's significant. You lose him and then you put another corner out on punt returns? Talk about stupid. If Witherspoon's injury is significant, Reese is going to have to jump through his ass to get a competent corner in the fold or this season is already over, and I'm not joking. We play the Patriots, Packers, Saints, among other big time passing teams, and you can't have a huge liability on one side of the field matching up against Wes Welker or Robert Meachem.

Fuck TC.

I agree.

I understand that injuries are a part of the game....which makes me hate preseason even more.....it's just 4 more opportunities for the best guys to go down.

Everyone in the stadium knows T2 is a great player. He had nothing to prove, so.....let's send him on a jailhouse break.

If I were the coach, guys like Tuck, T2, Eli, etc would play a couple snaps and then spend the rest of the game riding a stationary bike.

The only value of preseason games is evaluating the new guys.....let them play 95% of the game.

I agree.

I understand that injuries are a part of the game....which makes me hate preseason even more.....it's just 4 more opportunities for the best guys to go down.

Everyone in the stadium knows T2 is a great player. He had nothing to prove, so.....let's send him on a jailhouse break.

If I were the coach, guys like Tuck, T2, Eli, etc would play a couple snaps and then spend the rest of the game riding a stationary bike.

The only value of preseason games is evaluating the new guys.....let them play 95% of the game.

Starters have to get back into game form as well which is why I couldn't knock starters playing. What pisses me off is lack of conditioning or TC's harsh style of coaching.

Starters have to get back into game form as well which is why I couldn't knock starters playing. What pisses me off is lack of conditioning or TC's harsh style of coaching.

This.

Also factor in that the number of full contact practices have been cut substantially. This is the only opportunity these guys have to get out and have a run.

i really wish the season would have been pushed back a full month. give the guys time to get in proper condition, under the supervision of their respective teams. anyone who thought these guys were gonna be in football shape coming out of the lockout was on crack. now we see the results of rushing into the season. i can't wait to watch the first 2 months of college quality NFL......

Hindsight is 20/20. These things happen.

I agree pre-season is mostly about evaluating the younger guys. But it's also about getting everybody cranked up to game speed, which I don't care what you say does not happen fully in practice against your own team. Watch and you'll see Boley hesitate, Jacobs hesitate, Manningham hesitate, Kenny Philips a little sluggish. I understand some of these guys aren't giving it their all, but there's a middle ground where you're not exactly ripping your opponents head off but you're being aggressive and sharpening your instincts and reactions. You want all that stuff worked out as much as possible before week 1.

-Z

Would it make anyone feel better if TT got injured on his 15th play? That kind of injury was just as likely to happen then as when it actually did.

And while Witherspoon looked pretty good out there, did anyone really think that he was going to be our 3rd corner until Prince came back? The falloff from TT to Ross is bad enough, but from Ross to Witherspoon? No way a rookie gets the 3rd CB spot in a season this fucked-up--he simply wouldn't have enough time, especially if he was undrafted. IR him, get him off the roster, and let him develop. So long as the injury isn't "severe" (well, that's a relative term, it is a knee injury), then it might actually be a blessing, long term.

Would it make anyone feel better if TT got injured on his 15th play? That kind of injury was just as likely to happen then as when it actually did.

And while Witherspoon looked pretty good out there, did anyone really think that he was going to be our 3rd corner until Prince came back? The falloff from TT to Ross is bad enough, but from Ross to Witherspoon? No way a rookie gets the 3rd CB spot in a season this fucked-up--he simply wouldn't have enough time, especially if he was undrafted. IR him, get him off the roster, and let him develop. So long as the injury isn't "severe" (well, that's a relative term, it is a knee injury), then it might actually be a blessing, long term.

This is Witherspoon's 5th season. He was with the Jags and Loins before us.

Witherspoon had played lights out in preseason AND in training camp. He got hurt on a punt return, fish. A punt return. Fish... A PUNT RETURN... in the 4th Quarter. After TT had already been lost for the year. He's now you're 3rd CB on the depth chart, and you have him on a punt return in the 4th quarter of a preseason game. You kidding me?

This is bullshit. This is entirely on TC's head, he did not manage the personnel. And you guys can say whatever you want about it could've happened here or there, and you are right.... but it didn't happen on the 15th play.

All this fuckin' bullshit about getting into rhythm... what? TC already said the starters were going to play about 25 snaps. The series before T2's injury ended on the 27th defensive snap. T2 gets injured on the 28th snap, on the first play of a new Bears' possession. They already had about 4 or 5 Bears' possessions to GET INTO rhythm. And I guarantee you that most of these vets don't need more than a couple series each in 4 preseason games to get ready to play a real game on September 11th.

And we definitely didn't need our nickel corner in on punt returns in the 4th quarter of a preseason game. This sucks, this team is severely depleted at nickel. If you don't protect these guys, and you end up with a secondary like we had in 2009, it doesn't matter how good your front 4 is, something we learned that year... you can't win in the NFL. You have to be able to cover those receivers. Michael Coe right now is the nickel corner to start the year. I know, lets have him return kicks in the 4th quarter of the Jets game.

This is mismanagement. The Giants WORST enemy is their coaching staff. I can almost give a pass on T2... he was still in the game for too long, but Witherspoon getting injured on the play that he did is inexcusable. It's embarrassing, and it makes a mockery of Coughlin's management of these players in the preseason. This season is not over... but I'll tell you this, Webster or Ross go down, and you can kiss any illusion of a playoff run goodbye. That is the situation we are in now. This great team we had going into this year is about to be WASTED again because of Coughlin wanting to fucking beat the Bears on August 22nd.

I honestly don't ever remember being this angry at the Giants coaching staff before. I've been pissed at Gilbride in the past, pissed at lack of adjustments... but this.... TC, Gilbride, Fewell... they all get angry at the players when they make mental errors on the field of play. Time to look in the mirror. This was a monu"mental" error that led to Witherspoon now going to IR. Thanks a lot, fuckos.

I'm so pissed I tweeted Pat Hanlon:

@giantspathanlon please kick TC in the nuts for me for having Spoon in on punt returns in the 4th quarter of a preseason game. Stupid.

I hope he passes along the message.