SportsWrath

Is it just me? Two things...

Sephiroth

Is it just me or does Eli look flat-out BAD? I mean... missing guys in the flat, overthrowing/underthrowing... he looks BAD.

And watch the tape... JPP is the last guy off the snap just about EVERY time. He's still good, don't get me wrong, but that's a little troubling.

Is it just me or does Eli look flat-out BAD? I mean... missing guys in the flat, overthrowing/underthrowing... he looks BAD.

And watch the tape... JPP is the last guy off the snap just about EVERY time. He's still good, don't get me wrong, but that's a little troubling.

JPP is still learning so no worries there.

I agree with Eli's assessment. He seems to be sleep walking thru preseason games. I noticed when he threw the ball with authority his accuracy improved a great deal. I wonder if the coaches are stressing his mechanics because this guy can be great.

I noticed that about JPP, especially early in the game. I think he's working on playing with pace, setting his guy up, etc., because he really came off the ball later in the game and came close on a couple more sacks. He's thinking too much out there, trying to learn the game on an NFL field... I feel pretty good about where he'll be in a few weeks when they're playing for real.

Eli looks bad, but its pre-season... another guy who doesn't look great is Hakeem Nicks. I'd like to see those two develop an on-field rapport, but I'm not seeing it. Eli is off, Nicks is letting 'em through his hands... but, its pre-season.

Well one thing I've noticed is that Eli looks like he's rushing cause he doesn't trust his line. When he gets decent time he's on the money, but when he tries to speed his game up he starts losing it.

That audible before the Jacobs touchdown was masterful though. I love having Chucky in the booth to point out shit like that.

I think Gruden is excellent. Man knows his football. (As he should, obviously.)

-Z

It also just goes to show you how much goes on that we, or at least I, don't realize. On the surface all we see is a running play. Offensive line gets credit, Jacobs gets credit....but in reality Eli gets a ton of credit too. Without the audible that play probably doesn't happen.

Eli is not and will never be Peyton, neither physically nor mentally, but I think Eli has as much control over his team's offense as anyone in the league besides for Peyton, and he does a pretty good job, so long as he avoids those maddening delay of games.

-Z

it seems like gruden loves eli.

Yeah Gruden has a thing for Eli, ever since that playoff win in '07.

I recall a broadcast last season were Gruden went on and on about how Eli controlled that playoff game against Tampa and how he watched him mature to a SB MVP in that very game.

Chucky is a well addition to the broadcast booth, hope he never leaves.

Yeah Gruden has a thing for Eli, ever since that playoff win in '07.

I recall a broadcast last season were Gruden went on and on about how Eli controlled that playoff game against Tampa and how he watched him mature to a SB MVP in that very game.

Chucky is a well addition to the broadcast booth, hope he never leaves.

Gruden tens to pore praise on players... quite a bit of it seems to be scripted though. But I do think he's great.

From an article from two days before the Tampa Bay playoff game:

"I don't know about all that criticism, man," Gruden said after the Buccaneers' practice Friday. "I loved him when he came out of Mississippi and I like the fact that he's taken his team to the playoffs three times in a tough league. I'm a big fan of his, personally."

So there ya go.

-Z

That audible before the Jacobs touchdown was masterful though. I love having Chucky in the booth to point out shit like that.

I don't get the "Gruden's Quarterback Camp" thing or whatever though.

Hasn't that guy mismanaged and ruined more QBs than any other coach in recent memory?

Is it just me but is it still pre-season, and veterans with guaranteed starting positions are often going through the motions

If I were Coughlin I'd limit the regulars to 1st Qtr only............Bellicheck never plays his starters at all in the final pre-season game

smart guy