SportsWrath

Osi Confirms Via E-Mail That He Will End Stalemate And Play Under Current Contract

Mr. P

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Osi Umenyiora confirmed to The Associated Press that he will practice with the New York Giants on Monday.

In an email to the AP on Sunday evening, Umenyiora says he will play under the terms of his current contract, which will play him $7.1 million over the next two seasons.

The 29-year-old Umenyiora says the Giants offered to put incentives in his deal, but he rejected them because he felt the terms were unacceptable.

Umenyiora says his decision to return was influenced by his feelings for his teammates, coaches and the fans.

The nine-year NFL veteran hasn't practiced since reporting to training camp on July 30, a day late. He has been bothered by a sore knee for more than a week but was cleared this week for action.

Coach Tom Coughlin had been hoping Umenyiora would participate in his first practice of training camp on Monday.

"I really don't know anything just yet," Coughlin said on a conference call with reporters Sunday afternoon. "We fully expect that, yes. But I don't know that for a fact. Players were off today."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6861734/osi-umenyiora-ends-stalemate-new-york-giants-practice-monday-report-says

Would you start Osi over JPP right now? After a strong showing in the first preseason game I don't know. Osi seems to have one move, try and outrush the tackle and get around him to force a strip sack. If that doesn't work he seems to give up. JPP is a guy who has no real history playing football and he seems to have more moves and more motivation that Osi.

Would you start Osi over JPP right now? After a strong showing in the first preseason game I don't know. Osi seems to have one move, try and outrush the tackle and get around him to force a strip sack. If that doesn't work he seems to give up. JPP is a guy who has no real history playing football and he seems to have more moves and more motivation that Osi.

with our luck someone will be hurt anyway.

Id move JPP inside and play them both

JPP is a huge man......he would have no problem playing DT

but thats me

Coughlin wont do it

i think if anyone goes inside on certain downs it'd be tuck since he's done it before. but i think they'll just stick to a rotation

I agree with Jack, JPP is a versatile athlete and should be trained as one. DE obviously his main position but he can definitely see some time inside with tuck, I wanna see the 4 aces back with JPP, and tuck inside with Osi and kiwi on the ends Nd send in Boley or KP21 on the blitz and the QB is hit

After reading the article in the NY Daily News this morning.. I couldn't help but shake my head... especially at this:

"No deal has been reworked," Umenyiora said in an email to The Associated Press Sunday night. "What has been offered has been unacceptable and shows they don't really respect the fact I sacrifice my health for the franchise."

What was offered to Umenyiora, according to a source familiar with the situation, was a package of incentives that would have added some value to the final two years of his contract. At the moment, he's scheduled to earn $3.125 million in salary this year and $3.975 million in salary next year - the final two years of a six-year, $41 million extension he signed in December 2005.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2011/08/14/2011-08-14_osi_umenyiora_announces_he_will_return_to_practice_with_giants_monday_under_unwa.html#ixzz1V6jelQu0

Wow... only four million this year, huh? He's being SO mistreated.

Also lets not forget that he averaged nearly 7 million per season on the deal, it was one of the biggest if not the biggest DE contract when signed, and it was heavily front loaded. Contract values have gone up since then but if he wanted that future money he shouldn't have signed such a long deal. Sure he is underpaid if you take it on a year by year case but you just can't, and if he feels so hurt and underpaid imagine how the Giants felt paying him all that front loaded money while he was injured or underperforming?