SportsWrath

steve smith

Lughead

He's and Eagle and didn't even give us a chance so screw him I appreciate what he did for us

But he's now an Eagle so therefore I hate him completely.

I still don't wish him to be injured.

Wow, This blows. I was always happy how Smith took over Toomer's role as Eli's dependable go-to receiver. I still trust that Reese knows what he's doing.

I look forward to seeing how Cruz does this pre-season.

Here's Cruz talking about being a slot receiver...

http://www.giants.com/media-vault/videos/Giants-Insider-Victor-Cruz/c9b8f658-7314-4ab7-a90c-f571561e303a

Wow, This blows. I was always happy how Smith took over Toomer's role as Eli's dependable go-to receiver. I still trust that Reese knows what he's doing.

http://www.giants.com/media-vault/videos/Giants-Insider-Victor-Cruz/c9b8f658-7314-4ab7-a90c-f571561e303a

Hopefully Cruz or JJ can step up as our next good WR I'm real hopeful too.

Man, I dont feel like reading all of these, I stopped after page 3.lol I agree with Storm and Zelmo. Of course Steve was great for us, possibly the best in the slot rec. biz. But we didnt resign him right away for a reason, the eshits just took what we didnt want. And Storm hit it on the head with this one, its more important to have better special teams than a good 3rd WR. Outta Cruz, Hixon and Jernigan, someones gonna be that reliable 3rd down guy.

I agree that Smith was Eli's security blanket. Whenever Eli was in trouble, he started using tunnel vision and looking for Smith to bail him out.

So maybe it's a good thing that Eli will have to use the whole field and mature into the QB he can be.

I will miss Smith, but (and I quote from the NYPost), "(Eli) still has receiver Hakeem Nicks, whose numbers last season (79 catches, 1,052 yards, 11 touchdowns in just 13 games) put Plaxico Burress in his prime to shame. Receiver Mario Manningham is back too, off a 60-catch, 944-yard, nine-touchdown season despite starting only half of last year's games. And the 1-2 running back punch of Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs returns, after combining for 2,058 yards and 17 touchdowns last season".

There's some good young guys coming up in the WR ranks that should surprise even the most pessimistic skeptic. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Jernigan becomes a great slot reciever or heck, even Reynaud.

The last time the Giants were in such disarray, losing players and making nary a ripple in the free agent market was when they won the SB in 2007 beating the undefeated, unstoppable "dream team" Patriots. There was much whining and bitching and gnashing of teeth among the Giants fans who thought the team was depleted and destined to be in the cellar. Hopefully, this season will be similar as expectations are lowered....which always seems to have a great effect on the team's play.

I didn't say injure, I said re-injured, there's a slight difference.

I hate the Eagles so much.

Bro what's wrong with you.. I don't want to speak for anyone else but I don't "hate" anyone.. not the cowboys.. not the eagles.. and certainly not their fans... this is a game.. and last I checked. it's "for entertainment purposes only"... sure we enjoy the rivalry and the trash talk but at the end of the day "hate" never enters the picture.

I once was confronted with a grown ass man in his 40s (dressed in leather for whatever reason) more than twice my size who wanted to fight me because I was a Yankee fan (the jerk was a red sox fan)... I put him to shame in the bar telling to go back to his wife and kids.. of course he backed down when he realized there were quite a few Yankee fans and my friends outnumbered his... oh btw I was 20 years old at the time :)

P.S. The Yankees won that game too.

This sucks. Really sucks. I read this last night and was too pissed and upset to say anything about it. Hard to believe something actually shut me up, lol. I'm really conflicted on this one. Part of me says Reese should've taken the chance on Steve on a multi-year deal. I realize the seriousness of Smith's injury. But if you're a betting man, you bet with Steve. Look at him, this is a guy who has size and speed limitations but would not be denied in working to make himself the best receiver he could be. I was a doubter in the past, but Steve's work ethic made me a believer. He even became a receiver that could stretch the field in 2009 and early 2010. Plus he's become a smart, savvy veteran receiver that is a polished route runner. He was the quintessential professional Giant in his time here... you can't let a guy like that go to your rival.

As far as this year, the Eagles would be wise to place him on PUP, which I understand is not their plan... he's going to play right away. Even after the PUP would be over, they would still have 3 weeks... they should use all of it. Let him get strength in those legs, let him work back slowly in getting to 100%. It remains to be seen if that knee is going to allow him to be as explosive as he is accustomed to this year. We will see. This definitely isn't about what he can give the Eagles in September and October, it's about December and January. If he can get full go by the stretch run, he's going to be a major weapon to contend with in their arsenal. Another factor in this that Schefter is talking about on ESPN right now is that Maclin is still going through tests dealing with his mysterious illness. This may have been a move to shore up the receiving corps because they might not have confidence in Maclin's ability to play at least part of this season.

For the 3rd receiver role, people have already mentioned Hixon, Jernigan, and Cruz. First, I highly doubt Jernigan is going to play a major role this early. The other two guys have a chance. And a third guy that I think I'm the only one that talks about is Devin Thomas. He was a second round pick. I know he's had a rough go in the NFL and the Redskins dumped him and Carolina never really gave him much of a chance. But now he's on a team with a legit QB and he does have an excellent physical skill set. I think he still has a chance to blossom here and this is the best chance he's ever going to get. Hixon is not a bad option in the slot, either... we know what he is and I think we can succeed with Hixon there, but I'm looking for either Cruz or Thomas to provide that little bit of extra wow-factor into the offense. We'll see.

As far as free agent WR's out there, I know he's getting long in the tooth but as a role player, TJ Houshmanzadeh is out there. I don't think the Giants are going to make a move unless something happens in the WR group as far as injury, but other than Houshmanzadeh and the previously mentioned Cotchery, here are some other guys that are available:

Terrell Owens ( :blink: )

Brian Finneran

Mike Furrey

Brandon Stokley

Greg Lewis

Ruvell Martin

Hank Baskett

Brian Clark

Kevin Curtis

This sucks. Really sucks. I read this last night and was too pissed and upset to say anything about it. Hard to believe something actually shut me up, lol. I'm really conflicted on this one. Part of me says Reese should've taken the chance on Steve on a multi-year deal. I realize the seriousness of Smith's injury. But if you're a betting man, you bet with Steve. Look at him, this is a guy who has size and speed limitations but would not be denied in working to make himself the best receiver he could be. I was a doubter in the past, but Steve's work ethic made me a believer. He even became a receiver that could stretch the field in 2009 and early 2010. Plus he's become a smart, savvy veteran receiver that is a polished route runner. He was the quintessential professional Giant in his time here... you can't let a guy like that go to your rival.

As far as this year, the Eagles would be wise to place him on PUP, which I understand is not their plan... he's going to play right away. Even after the PUP would be over, they would still have 3 weeks... they should use all of it. Let him get strength in those legs, let him work back slowly in getting to 100%. It remains to be seen if that knee is going to allow him to be as explosive as he is accustomed to this year. We will see. This definitely isn't about what he can give the Eagles in September and October, it's about December and January. If he can get full go by the stretch run, he's going to be a major weapon to contend with in their arsenal. Another factor in this that Schefter is talking about on ESPN right now is that Maclin is still going through tests dealing with his mysterious illness. This may have been a move to shore up the receiving corps because they might not have confidence in Maclin's ability to play at least part of this season.

For the 3rd receiver role, people have already mentioned Hixon, Jernigan, and Cruz. First, I highly doubt Jernigan is going to play a major role this early. The other two guys have a chance. And a third guy that I think I'm the only one that talks about is Devin Thomas. He was a second round pick. I know he's had a rough go in the NFL and the Redskins dumped him and Carolina never really gave him much of a chance. But now he's on a team with a legit QB and he does have an excellent physical skill set. I think he still has a chance to blossom here and this is the best chance he's ever going to get. Hixon is not a bad option in the slot, either... we know what he is and I think we can succeed with Hixon there, but I'm looking for either Cruz or Thomas to provide that little bit of extra wow-factor into the offense. We'll see.

As far as free agent WR's out there, I know he's getting long in the tooth but as a role player, TJ Houshmanzadeh is out there. I don't think the Giants are going to make a move unless something happens in the WR group as far as injury, but other than Houshmanzadeh and the previously mentioned Cotchery, here are some other guys that are available:

Brian Finneran

Mike Furrey

Brandon Stokley

Greg Lewis

Ruvell Martin

Hank Baskett

Brian Clark

Kevin Curtis

I'd go with TO or Curtis in that group

Just for S's and G's, not that I actually think it has the slimmest chance in the world of actually happening, but I read on BBI that reports are saying that Johnny Knox is wanting a trade out of Chicago. I would give them the Sage for him... hey, maybe even throw in Matt Dodge!

Finally.. Jim? Finally? lol.

I wanted to call you and the big three (Fish, Blue25, and Fish) to get their take on this.. I was livid last night...

Hey, check your PM folder. Fish is pretty awesome that he's in the big three twice! :WS:

Yeah, I have to say that although I really trust Reese and I really defer to his judgement, this shakes my confidence in him a little.

Hey, check your PM folder. Fish is pretty awesome that he's in the big three twice! :WS:

Yeah, I have to say that although I really trust Reese and I really defer to his judgement, this shakes my confidence in him a little.

the facts are he needed a paycheck......we were over the cap and could not pay him to sit, its a one year deal. We have no idea what the doctors were telling Jerry.

He's free to return to us next year. The Eagles have pulled this trick on us several times.......sending us wounded goods and re-signing them when they have under-performed for the Giants and healed.

Brian Finneran

Mike Furrey

Brandon Stokley

Greg Lewis

Ruvell Martin

Hank Baskett

Brian Clark

Kevin Curtis

all eagle castoffs....enjoy our sloppy seconds ralph

:freaked:

Look who's here! D4P! Good to see you here, dude. I hope you are enjoying your offseason trophy. Remember there are still games to play, and no team wins on paper.

we had a very good team last.....fell just short to the SB champs.

made some significant upgrades this offseason.....it's SB or bust

If you had reading comprehension skills I listed those guys just as information, but stated that I don't think we will make a move at WR in free agency. I also said if we did our two best options are probably Housh and Cotchery.

You really think I want Greg Lewis on the Giants? Or Hank Baskett? Or T.O.? I just listed all the WR free agents out there right now. I like our guys as constituted.

we had a very good team last.....fell just short to the SB champs.

made some significant upgrades this offseason.....it's SB or bust

You did make some upgrades at some positions, and got worse at others. Safeties? Linebackers? You think Casey Matthews is going to be just as good as his brother right out the gate? Oh yeah, and what happens if Vick pops a hammy? You trust Vince Young?

Cast offs? TO is YOUR Castoff? Wasn't he the 49ers cast off.. then the Cowboys castoff? Sheesh.. something tells me the Eagles are scrambling.. championship at any cost... I guess the reason we don't make big splashes in FA is because we have our farm in order... Can't wait to meet you guys.. this ought to be fun.

You did make some upgrades at some positions, and got worse at others. Safeties? Linebackers? You think Casey Matthews is going to be just as good as his brother right out the gate? Oh yeah, and what happens if Vick pops a hammy? You trust Vince Young?

Kurt coleman started many games last year at strong safety and played a significant amount of snaps. nate allen was the openeing day starter at free safety and had 3 picks in the first four games before he got injured so i'm not really worried about safety. plus when you have 4 stud corners, who cares? linebackers are slightly a concern but we picked up better defensive tackles for our new scheme....again not worried.

what happens if any starting qb in the nfl gets injured? yeah, we'll likely be a worse team as i'm sure the giants would be if manning breaks his leg.

but to answer your question, if vick pops a hammy we'll go with kafka....young is in philly to rehab his image and get quality qb coaching. he's merely trade bait for the next offseason. eagles will land another 2nd round draft pick for a backup qb just they did with aj feely and kevin kolb