SportsWrath

Kiwi at LB'er on 1st and 2nd downs

Mr. P

I know I'm one of the few, but I like Kiwi at SAM.

I agree. Kiwi is athletic enough where he can be a factor there, and when he played there last year prior to his injury, he was one of our best defensive players. And, as Lubz mentioned, it will allow JPP more reps at DE, putting more of our best defensive players on the field at the same time cannot be a bad thing.

I agree. Kiwi is athletic enough where he can be a factor there, and when he played there last year prior to his injury, he was one of our best defensive players. And, as Lubz mentioned, it will allow JPP more reps at DE, putting more of our best defensive players on the field at the same time cannot be a bad thing.

He was a beast last year, got to love the flexibility he brings too... with him on the field the Giants can play 4-3 or 3-4 schemes without changing their alignment. Thats gonna be a mindfuck for opposing QBs, as it was at the start of last year.

He was a beast last year, got to love the flexibility he brings too... with him on the field the Giants can play 4-3 or 3-4 schemes without changing their alignment. Thats gonna be a mindfuck for opposing QBs, as it was at the start of last year.

And you gotta love how he goes quietly about his business.. no contract drama.

I'm sorry, but I don't see it. Kiwi is too long legged to play LB. You have to have quick in order to play LB. Kiwi was below average at best when he played LB last time. And let's not forget he was awful against the pass.

I'm sorry, but I don't see it. Kiwi is too long legged to play LB. You have to have quick in order to play LB. Kiwi was below average at best when he played LB last time. And let's not forget he was awful against the pass.

If he's too long-legged to play LB, then he's FAR too long-legged for the defensive line.

And he wasn't awful against the pass last year, not like in 2007, the first time he was tried at LB. And he's dynamic in the other phases of the game.

Let's not have a template for what a player at any given position should "look" like. Kiwi has not played a given position rather steadily... which is not good because he can't "perfect" said position. He's a team player and I hope he excels.. besides it's not like we have other options at LB anyway.

If he's too long-legged to play LB, then he's FAR too long-legged for the defensive line.

And he wasn't awful against the pass last year, not like in 2007, the first time he was tried at LB. And he's dynamic in the other phases of the game.

Kiwi didn't play LB last year.

Kiwi didn't play LB last year.

you're right... only played LB situationally. And by that I mean LB duties, coverage, keeping the TE on the line, for example. But he did usually start the play with his hand in the dirt (really pisses me off when they do that with Tuck or Osi, thats not their game).

I'm still curious how the length of his legs translates better to the DL than at LB. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but seems to me he can't get low enough to turn on an offensive tackle. Very nice player against the run though.

developing into a smart player too. With his skill set I'd like to see him all over the front 7. Calling him a LB is just an easy way to get him on the field all the time.

Anyone want to review Kiwi's 4 sacks last year (first three games before he was injured) and see if they came from the DE or LB position? I think they were all as a DE. I don't recall him playing at LB much.

And when did he mostly dropped in coverage..

chance are they still wouldnt unless he the BPA

but still.. I don't know why Demarcus Ware came to mind... and I can understand the cap situation now.. but it seems like Giants dropped the ball on finding a good MLB to replace Peirce before peirce declined.. and at a fast pace.

but still.. I don't know why Demarcus Ware came to mind... and I can understand the cap situation now.. but it seems like Giants dropped the ball on finding a good MLB to replace Peirce before peirce declined.. and at a fast pace.

Personally I don't like these hybrid Lb like Ware , Mathews . I want a Guy that can cover the TE and come up and make the running stop for 2 yards or less not 10 yards latter. Seems to be are biggest down fall, more the TE . The DE get the pressure we need on the QB

Kiwanuka is "going to play linebacker this year"

Mathias Kiwanuka may still move around the field and play some defensive end for Perry Fewell.

But linebackers coach Jim Herrmann says Kiwanuka will be a linebacker, at least on first and second downs.

“He’s going to play linebacker this year,” Herrmann said. “In our base package he’s a linebacker. When we go to third down, all bets are off. We try to put the best people on the field to get pressure, to cover. It’s a different game to me. First and second downs are a completely different game than third. It’s like a whole different playbook. When we go to third down, he has multiple positions on third-down plays and our third-down package.”

Last year, Kiwanuka started the season opener at linebacker. He then saw action at linebacker and on the defensive line in the next two games before a neck injury ended his season. This year, it appears he will start games at linebacker and play the position on running downs. In passing situations, he could move to defensive end or he can always be used to bring pressure from his linebacker position as well.

While things could change if Osi Umenyiora ends up not playing for the Giants this season, it certainly appears as if the Giants are moving ahead with Kiwanuka at linebacker. With Umenyiora sitting out practices, the Giants have been putting Jason Pierre-Paul at defensive end opposite Justin Tuck with Kiwanuka at linebacker.

That also means linebacker Clint Sintim likely will be relegated to the second team.

“Clint has actually had a great camp so far,” Herrmann said of Sintim. “I really like where he’s at. He’s done a great job. He looks faster. He’s leaner. He’s done a great job out here. Anytime you can’t go into a season with three legit guys and someone gets hurt and you’re putting a non-legit guy in. So, he’s competing for a job as a starter wherever it is. Really, to me, they’re all interchangeable. They should all be able to play all the positions.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/5929/kiwanuka-is-going-to-play-linebacker-this-year