SportsWrath

Giants re-sign Rocky Bernard

BleedinBlue

You serious about Canty? And does this spell trouble for Watson?

Sure I'm serious about Canty....he cost a fortune and they need cap space to sign Boss and/or Smith. They have to find a way to make more cap room and he's a big matza ball hanging out there with that big salary.

The sources are all over the net....Giants homepage, KFFL, NJ.com, etc.

It looks to me as if the Giants want some vets behind the two young studs and maybe they had a little more faith in Bernard than appeared on the surface. I still think Canty could be in trouble. The Giants need to trim salary to keep Boss and/or Smith. It's simple math.

Signed an all you can eat contract so he won't count towards the cap.

Must be they got Rocky cheap and thought he was serviceable so he's back. I wonder if they are going to cut Canty tomorrow and possibly re-sign him cheap.

link

where the fuck did this come from? My fear is Austin and Joseph weren't progressing in camp and that's why they brought back this fat ass back.

or he's a decent back for a decent price?

where the fuck did this come from? My fear is Austin and Joseph weren't progressing in camp and that's why they brought back this fat ass back.

they've had like 4 practices. I think you are reading way too much into this

According to every report I've read on the practices, I'm reading that Joseph and Austin are impressing the hell out of the coaches (as is Hyneski).

Read this (link):

Marvin Austin just keeps impressing the Giants coaching staff.

The second-round pick from North Carolina – who did not play as a senior in 2010 due to improper contact with an agent – has raised eyebrows from head coach Tom Coughlin to defensive line coach Robert Nunn.

“Marvin has shown the explosiveness that you saw as a junior,” Nunn said. “Very explosive player. Technique-wise, he’s a long-way away. But that’s obvious that was gonna be that way, because he missed all the OTAs and all the off-season training.”

“Right now,” Nunn said, “we’re sitting in a pretty good situation with our young guys.”

Second-year player Linval Joseph, like Austin a second-rounder, has also impressed. He is practicing with the first team and Austin with the second team. Veteran Chris Canty will be the other starting DT.

“Linval’s come in here in very good shape. Much more suddenness, good quickness coming off the ball,” Nunn said. “And with his size and strength, he’s got a real chance. But we’ll see when the pads come on, and we get started with the preseason games.”

Ultimately, the coaches obviously want a couple of veterens in the mix to back up the young studs and mentor them until they can handle the bulk of line duty. Sorta like an insurance policy combined with personal tutoring.