SportsWrath

Giants 4th rd pick in 2009 is back

BleedinBlue

Giants sign running back Andre Brown

Published: Wednesday, August 03, 2011, 9:20 AM Updated: Wednesday, August 03, 2011, 9:20 AM

By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Every time Andre Brown was waived - and there were plenty of those moments over the past year - many were waiting for the Giants to reclaim their former fourth-round pick.

Finally, they've brought him back.

Brown, the Giants' fourth-round pick in 2009, re-signed with the team today, according to someone informed of the transaction. The person requested anonymity because the Giants haven't announced the move yet.

The Giants compared the 6-foot, 224-pound Brown to Derrick Ward after drafting him and were hopeful he'd be a key contributor in their backfield for years to come. But Brown's career got off to a rough start when he tore his Achilles tendon early in his training camp. He missed the entire 2009 season.

Brown returned to action last summer in training camp and appeared to be fully healthy. He ran for 95 yards and a touchdown on 21 carries in the preseason but landed on the waiver wire at final cuts.

Brown then had stints with the Broncos, Colts, Panthers and Redskins - both on active rosters and practice squads. He was cut by Washington last week and now, finally, is a Giant once again.

I don't know man.. it's been 18 Months since I tore my Achilles and I'm not the same..

He'll be thrown into the mix to see what he's got. Before he got hurt, he was pretty good. It's all about competition at this point and "may the best man win".

He'll be thrown into the mix to see what he's got. Before he got hurt, he was pretty good. It's all about competition at this point and "may the best man win".

The reason I say that is because I'm one of those guys who played the game for the love of the game.. I don't know anyone who's suffered concussions, pulled hamstrings, and worst of all.. tore Achilles.. all for the love of sports.. and I tough it out.. and play thru injuries... And I can say with certainty that an Achilles injury is hard to come back from.. I'm not holding my breath..