SportsWrath

Which coach would YOU play for?

Guest StrahansGap

Guest StrahansGap

Let's be honest here. We all know Rex is a blowhard and as Giants fans, we're all naturally going to hate Rex because he's the head coach of the Jets. But who would you rather play for? If you had the choice to play for Rex or Tom Coughlin.....who would you pick? I can tell you right now that the LAST guy i would play for is Coughlin. I know he brought us a ring but lets be honest, the guy is a douche. Rex makes the game fun. He makes going to practice fun. Why do you think the Jets are on every NFL players radar? Sucks for me to say all of this but it's true. I just don't see anyone wanting to come here anymore. Name one great FA that has signed with the Giants since Coughlin came here. Go ahead....I dare you. Besides the 2005 season when we picked up Pierce, McKenzie and Plax....there is NOBODY!

Guest StrahansGap

Whether we're talking football and winning games, or business and making money, I want to work for the guy who is going to get me there. Asshole or not, doesn't even register to me.

In this case, its Coughlin.

Ok. Well until then, I hope you're satisfied with signing punters and centers. Nobody else wants to come here.

Ok. Well until then, I hope you're satisfied with signing punters and centers. Nobody else wants to come here.

LOL....ok. :rolleyes:

Alot of players wanna come to a coach that won a SB. We dont have the money to sign all these people, nor do we really need to. Our team is a good team already. Philly can create an "all star" team all they want, that never works in the NFL, ask D Snyder.

I agree with SG here... All things being equal I'd rather play.. (work) for a guy with a sense of humor.. nothing is more annoying than a boss who's too uptight. Yes I'd take Rex over Tom any day.

I agree with SG here... All things being equal I'd rather play.. (work) for a guy with a sense of humor.. nothing is more annoying than a boss who's too uptight. Yes I'd take Rex over Tom any day.

Cmon bro, so youre saying youd rather work for a loudmouth guy who is always guaranteein shit but never delivering, over a guy who is all business and has delivered??

Guest StrahansGap

LOL....ok. :rolleyes:

Alot of players wanna come to a coach that won a SB. We dont have the money to sign all these people, nor do we really need to. Our team is a good team already. Philly can create an "all star" team all they want, that never works in the NFL, ask D Snyder.

You're living in the 80's bro. Players are spoiled and selfish now. They are going to take Rex over General Tom 10 out of 10 times. Rings don't mean shit. It's about money and happiness now.

Guest StrahansGap

Cmon bro, so youre saying youd rather work for a loudmouth guy who is always guaranteein shit but never delivering, over a guy who is all business and has delivered??

Don't speak too soon. The Jets are WELL on their way.

You're living in the 80's bro. Players are spoiled and selfish now. They are going to take Rex over General Tom 10 out of 10 times. Rings don't mean shit. It's about money and happiness now.

Theres more primadonnas in todays game, sure. But thats ridiculous to say that they arent playing for a ring. :rolleyes:

Think about it.. only 1 out of 32 teams wins it.. I'm not a fan of gurantees.. let your work do the talking. However Tom's attitude is outdated... no one wants to work for a jerk...

Think about it.. only 1 out of 32 teams wins it.. I'm not a fan of gurantees.. let your work do the talking. However Tom's attitude is outdated... no one wants to work for a jerk...

You consider it a jerk attitude? I call it a business attitude.

You consider it a jerk attitude? I call it a business attitude.

No it's not man... I work a living... and I can tell you a boss with no sense of humor is a no go in my book. I'd resign in a heartbeat. Only people who work for a jerk is because they have to.

you're wrong, many people have said the same thing for years, but the Giants still get their guy as often as not.

Its all about money & happiness? Well, money is practically a level playing field, so thats a non-factor, why even bring it up. And happiness?...you make the mistake of presuming that the things that make you happy are the same for everyone. Maybe its important for some people to work for someone they like and enjoy being around, but I don't give a shit... success makes me happier than a boss with a good sense of humor ever could.

No it's not man... I work a living... and I can tell you a boss with no sense of humor is a no go in my book. I'd resign in a heartbeat. Only people who work for a jerk is because they have to.

I know this is their job, like we have our jobs, but HUGE difference between us and them. Yeah, Id hate working for an asshole too. But if my boss here at work said, "Get that report done by 5 pm or its your ass, oh, and you will be awarded a SB ring....." .............Youd see me gettin that report done with a smile.

Thats not gonna happen, so yes, Id hate to work for an asshole. Playin on an NFL team is different. If your asshole coach can get you a title, youre bustin your hump for him.

And wait a sec Nas.......dont we ALL have to work??? :confused:

I think both sides of this argument have merit.

Rex Ryan is a loudmouth. He's a blowhard. But when he's making these promises, he's doing two things... he's showing faith in his players and he's challenging them to live up to those expectations. He creates excitement and a stir about the Jets. I'm not mad at Rex. The foot thing is a little weird but who am I to criticize what gets the man's rocks off? :smartass: Rex's persona in NY is a leadership strategy and it's an effective one. Nobody else outside of the locker room has to like it... but it seems that the guys in the locker room DO like it and like playing for him. You're always hearing about how great it is to play for him.

Also, Rex has led the team to back to back AFC Championship appearances. They are close, real close. People forget what the Jets were for so long before Rex. Parcells briefly made them relevant again, but he wasn't there long enough. The Jets are still on the rise.

Coughlin has a far different leadership strategy. He sets the expectations and expects the players to go about their work with professionalism. He is a no non-sense coach. When Coughlin started reaching out to players after the 2006 season, they realized that he DOES care. This was crucial to players... who want to WANT to play hard for their coach. However, Coughlin has been criticized in the past for being too much of a dictator. I am positive that the primary reason Plax didn't want to come back here was TC. When he was with the Jaguars he had a reputation... I know somebody who has a cousin who knows a player in the NFL, and basically the word was that some players didn't want to come to play for TC because of his style.

That said, recently some players on the Giants have come out in support of Coughlin when there were rumors swirling about his job security. That is a good sign. It seems to me that Coughlin is cool if you are a player that gives it your all and acts like a professional. If you don't, there will be problems... and you know what? There should be. It's the same way in the military. If you want to act like a kid then you're going to get treated that way. If you're going to go about doing your job like a professional, you get treated like a professional.

I think what it comes down to is there is a legit buzz with the Jets, and players will get attracted to that. But winning... that is what attracts people mostly (other than the money). And the Giants were 10-6 last year too. As long as the Giants have a good chance to win, they shouldn't have a problem attracting free agents.

I know this is their job, like we have our jobs, but HUGE difference between us and them. Yeah, Id hate working for an asshole too. But if my boss here at work said, "Get that report done by 5 pm or its your ass, oh, and you will be awarded a SB ring....." .............Youd see me gettin that report done with a smile.

Thats not gonna happen, so yes, Id hate to work for an asshole. Playin on an NFL team is different. If your asshole coach can get you a title, youre bustin your hump for him.

Remember when Strahan was fined for not being 5 minutes early? Strahan said it best.. paraphrasing "he if you want the meeting to start at 8:55 then say 8:55"...

Remember when Strahan was fined for not being 5 minutes early? Strahan said it best.. paraphrasing "he if you want the meeting to start at 8:55 then say 8:55"...

And then proceeded to win a SB......lol

See, Id probably say the same thing Strahan said. But id have mad respect for TC because that strict discipline paid off.

I'd take Coughlin. Yes, he's all business. On the other hand, he spells out his expectations for you--you get on his shit list, you know exactly why you're there. It's a lot harder in the funhouse.

He also makes sure that it stays in the clubhouse, not in the press.

And the FA thing again? O'Hara signed on in '04 when TC's rep was much worse than it is now, then reupped again. Arrington signed on. Canty and Boley signed. Rolle signed. We don't do a whole lot of big name signings, but when we do, it seems like we don't have any more problems getting it done than any other team.

More importantly, we've kept Jacobs, Tuck, Manning, Webster, Diehl--just about any of our star draft picks that weren't offered ridiculous contracts (Wilson). Does this happen if Coughlin is an insufferable asshole?