SportsWrath

Giants sign punter Steve Weatherford

BleedinBlue

I think Dodge will probably end up on another team before it's through. He won't last on the practice squad. Great leg...no idea where it's going.

Weatherford is only 28 years old. A lot better than the two other antiques that the Giants were discussing.

Judging by the offseason moves and current moves, the Giants are serious about straightening out their special teams which has really sucked of late.

-------------------------------

From Mike Garaflo link

It became clear Thursday, when the Giants were sniffing around Brad Maynard, the team was looking for a veteran free agent punter to replace, or at least challenge, the inconsistent Matt Dodge.

They found one. And they didn't have to look very far.

The team signed five-year veteran Steve Weatherford, according to, well, Weatherford, who wrote on his Twitter account, "I'm on my way back to NYC but my helmet has changed. I'm excited to get the opportunity to help this prestigious franchise win a world title."

Weatherford then added, "Very blessed to help carry on a prestigious tradition in the greatest city in the world. New York Football Giants!!! Go Blue!!!"

Terms of the contract were not immediately available.

Weatherford, 28, spent his first two seasons with the Saints before splitting 2008 between New Orleans, the Chiefs and the Jaguars. He finally found a home with the Jets in 2009 and last year landed half of his punts (42 of 84) inside the 20. He also had an impressive net average of 38.1 yards per punt - a career-high for him.

The Giants now have themselves a potentially reliable presence after dealing with Dodge's bobbles, line drives and mental mistakes at crucial moments (i.e. the DeSean Jackson game-winner). Though the team might allow Dodge to battle it out with Weatherford in the preseason, the veteran's arrival is without question bad news for last year's seventh-round pick.

I've never seen someone with a case of the yips like Dodge had last season, not in any pro sport.

I've got two... Mackey Sasser and Chuck Knoblach.

But yeah, he definitely had the yips.

And this is why you don't use a draft pick on a punter. Don't make that mistake again, Reese.

why not?

Because it is a waste of a valuable spot. Practice squad slots are reserved for two main reasons holding onto a player the team thinks needs some developing to get NFL ready and for a player that can help the team prepare for next weeks game. It isn't where you put a player who has no real future with the team. Weatherford is a proven NFL punter so there is no future for Dodge on this team so why waste such a valuable spot on someone who was given an entire season to prove himself? Can you name one punter who was ever on a practice squad?

Yeah, feel bad for Dodge, but damn, every kick was an adventure with that guy.

Don't know too much about Weatherford, but sounds like a Feagles-type player.

And at 28, we've pretty much nailed down this position for the long term.