SportsWrath

Barry Cofield

Guest StrahansGap

Yeah, but wasn't it 6 years, 36 million, and the $12.5 was the guaranteed portion? If he's there 6 years he's going to get $36 million more than likely... so an average of $6 million per season is a pretty big pay day.

The guaranteed portion is the most important thing.

He gets 36 million assuming everything plays out. If he plays at a high level for 6 years than he would be worth that rate for 6 years. If he doesn't than he's not on the team for 6 years or he restructures at a lower salary.

The 12.5 million is the main part of the contract.

Sigh. Mik, it's a big deal. Even Haynesworth's contract only had $41 million in guarantees, but nobody characterized it as a $41 million contract. It was a $100 million dollar contract. I'm not saying the Redskins can't "only" pay him the guaranteed portion... but to say this is not a major deal is not so. It's big money. It's not a mega-blockbuster, but it's not chump change either.

Whether you want to say so or not, his annual salary on average is $6 million per season, unless they cut him after a couple of seasons.

BTW, your guys just got Jabar Gaffney for DE Jeremy Jarmon in a trade with Denver.

Sigh. Mik, it's a big deal. Even Haynesworth's contract only had $41 million in guarantees, but nobody characterized it as a $41 million contract. It was a $100 million dollar contract. I'm not saying the Redskins can't "only" pay him the guaranteed portion... but to say this is not a major deal is not so. It's big money. It's not a mega-blockbuster, but it's not chump change either.

Whether you want to say so or not, his annual salary on average is $6 million per season, unless they cut him after a couple of seasons.

BTW, your guys just got Jabar Gaffney for DE Jeremy Jarmon in a trade with Denver.

Your comparing 41 million to 12.5 million??

Doesn't matter how people characterize a deal. That isn't really relevant. i.e. Did Haynesworth actually get 100 million?

Cofield's signing is not a very large deal. Seems about right for a player of his caliber. He's worth 12.5 million over a couple of years and if he continues to play at a high level than he'd be worth the rest of it. If not he's either cut or restructures. Looks like the Giants actually made a pretty good effort to keep him but you're not in good cap shape and couldn't afford to pay him what he's worth. If the Giants could have given him a 40 million dollar contract with 6 million guaranteed I imagine they would have. It would sound big but it wouldn't actually be big.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/07/giants_didnt_let_barry_cofield.html

yeah I heard the Gaffney for Jarmon thing. Not really much of a trade. Mostly camp fodder and a chance to see if Gaffney can do anything. Jarmon can't really play in a 3-4. Jabar may not even end up on the final roster. We also picked up Donte Stalworth for 1 year but it's a similar thing. Camp fodder. Who knows maybe one of them will be able to contribute.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think 6 mil per season is a significant number, whether it's for 2 years or for the full 6 years. But I'm pretty sure that Cofield will be around for more than 2 years for the Skins... he's only 27.

Your comparing 41 million to 12.5 million??

Doesn't matter how people characterize a deal. That isn't really relevant. i.e. Did Haynesworth actually get 100 million?

Cofield's signing is not a very large deal. Seems about right for a player of his caliber. He's worth 12.5 million over a couple of years and if he continues to play at a high level than he'd be worth the rest of it. If not he's either cut or restructures. Looks like the Giants actually made a pretty good effort to keep him but you're not in good cap shape and couldn't afford to pay him what he's worth. If the Giants could have given him a 40 million dollar contract with 6 million guaranteed I imagine they would have. It would sound big but it wouldn't actually be big.

http://www.nj.com/gi...ry_cofield.html

yeah I heard the Gaffney for Jarmon thing. Not really much of a trade. Mostly camp fodder and a chance to see if Gaffney can do anything. Jarmon can't really play in a 3-4. Jabar may not even end up on the final roster. We also picked up Donte Stalworth for 1 year but it's a similar thing. Camp fodder. Who knows maybe one of them will be able to contribute.

Probably, Cofield is a good player. But watching their moves at DT for the last three years, its almost like they knew Cofield would be the odd man out when his contract was up.

Somewhat odd that we signed Canty, a DE in a 3-4, to play DT, while the 'Skins signed our space eater and will likely play him at end. Maybe we should have kept Cofield and sent you Canty.

Boo, the dude is only the most electrifying QB in the league.. the Eagles lose him and they're fucked.

:blink:

Whats the obsession with Vick? Everyone has it. Guess what, hes still and QB that runs like a RB. Just like in ATL. He's not different now that he's on the egirls. He just has a better squad around him.

No they are not, they got talent all over that offense, they are set at running back and wide receiver as long as they sign jackson. They really just need a solid QB to get these guys the ball. I don't think you'll see Vick have the same year as last year.

Seriously Nas, every time we think the Eagles are screwed they prove us wrong. whether we like it or not, their front office is top drawer and they pull players out of nowhere to fit the system. Look at the McNabb deal last year, how many people thought it would be that lopsided and that they absolutely pulled the trigger at the right time. The only thing they have that works against them sometimes is their defense is small.

Exactly booh.....................

Whats the obsession with Vick? Everyone has it. Guess what, hes still and QB that runs like a RB. Just like in ATL. He's not different now that he's on the egirls. He just has a better squad around him.

He's got a cannon of an arm.. he runs like a fucking cheetah.. and he's pretty accurate.. AND he buys time with his feet.

He's got a cannon of an arm.. he runs like a fucking cheetah.. and he's pretty accurate.. AND he buys time with his feet.

Sometimes. Most would say his accuracy is the weakest part of his game. But with Vick, you just have to hit him. If you can get to him, and get a couple good licks in, you can slow him down and cause him to make mistakes. The tough part is getting to him without him slipping right through your fingers. He's definitely a challenge for any defense. But one thing to remember... he's never even led his team to the Super Bowl, and I don't believe he's ever led a team to a NFCCG, either.

He's a much better passer now.

Guest StrahansGap

Anybody that is actually here saying that we don't need Cofield should have their heads examined. Some games last season, he was the best player on the field...period! Our run defense just shit the bed today. And our linebackers aren't capable of cleaning up the mess either. I say we're fucked!!!!

Anybody that is actually here saying that we don't need Cofield should have their heads examined. Some games last season, he was the best player on the field...period! Our run defense just shit the bed today. And our linebackers aren't capable of cleaning up the mess either. I say we're fucked!!!!

Can you name me any of these games he was the best player on the field?

Will the Giants miss Cofield? Maybe. It all depends on who we get to replace him. Everyone gets all uppity when we lose the guy but forget to mention that D-line is the best position the Giants draft and have two DTs waiting in the wings. For all we know Austin or Joseph can turn out to be as good if not better then Cofield.

It's almost like people forget that the Giants are a professional sports franchise and probably know what they are doing more then any of us.

I'll miss Cofield but it's time to move on and we will win games.

Yeah, exactly like he was in ATL.

I cant believe how easy it is for people to make someone elite. Romo was considered awesome and got a pro bowl nod after less than half a good 1st season. Now Vick comes in and plays for 2/3s of a season, a lil more than half of which were awesome, and hes electrifying???

Sorry bro, I just dont think thats enough time to say hes gonna be the best in the NFL.

Guest StrahansGap

Will the Giants miss Cofield? Maybe. It all depends on who we get to replace him. Everyone gets all uppity when we lose the guy but forget to mention that D-line is the best position the Giants draft and have two DTs waiting in the wings. For all we know Austin or Joseph can turn out to be as good if not better then Cofield.

It's almost like people forget that the Giants are a professional sports franchise and probably know what they are doing more then any of us.

Two games in a row he was an absolute beast. Chicago then Houston. Sacks, stuffs and solo tackles galore. And he had 7 solo tackles in one game versus the Redskins too. Our MB's better get ready this year....that's all I'm saying.

DE may be the best position we draft. But defensive tackle? Well, that's just wrong, dude. We have struggled to find DTs since Cofield. Most of our DT talent came from free agency. Fred Robbins was a FA. As far as the draft, Cornelius Griffin was mediocre several years ago. William Joseph was the biggest bust for us of the 2000s. Jay Alford made one good play. Linval Joseph has barely seen the field. Marvin Austin has yet to see the pro field. I don't see how people are getting uppity when we lost our best defensive tackle and they are simply stating how big of a loss it is. Especially when you have no proven replacements.

And Chris Canty sucks. He sucked with Dallas, he sucks here.