SportsWrath

Barry Cofield

Guest StrahansGap

He's good as gone. The writing was on the door when they drafted Linvall Joseph...the door was slammed when Marvin Austin was drafted this year.

Not necessarily for this season though. We'll see.

That contract is batshit insane. Barry has his ring, and obviously only cares about the money now, so good for him i guess.

That being said, i'm much happier the kids we've drafted are now getting a shot. i've said it before and i'll say it again, i think Barry is completely overrated.... and his sack dance is stupid as all hell. that is the dumbest thing i've ever had the misfortune to witness. I can't wait to watch him get manhandled by the Giants this year

Well, we knew this was inevitable. The Redskins pass rush is going to be no joke this year. Orakpo is devastating, and we'll see what happens with Haynesworth, I can't see him staying, but many think the Skins' will land Cullen Jenkins. If Cofield plays the nose in that system, I think he's not going to be as happy, or as impactful. But I think the Skins intend on him playing end. The Giants better shore up this offensive line.

I have faith that Linval Joseph and Marvin Austin are going to surprise a lot of people.

We have quality and EXCESS on the D-Line....especially if we are able to keep Osi and Kiwi (which I believe we will - fingers crossed). Just look at the list:

DT

Chris Canty

Rocky Bernard

Linval Joseph

Marvin Austin

Dwayne Hendricks

(Martin Parker - UDFA)

(Ibrahim Abdulai - UDFA)

DE

Justin Tuck

Osi Umenyiora

Jason Pierre-Paul

Mathias Kiwanuka

Dave Tollefson

Alex Hall

Ayanga Okpokowuruk

(Justin Trattou - UDFA)

(Craig Marshall - UDFA)

I'm a lot more worried about the O-line. More like "scared" about it. We should go after Robert Gallery while he's available. Would love to pick up a stud LT in free agency!

As far as Cofield goes....he was a very solid player who made the Giants proud - and he is fortunate to a huge payday that elude many very solid players. Good for him and best of luck. "Break a leg" as they say in show business!

how much $$,$$$,$$$.00 (love the redskins :rolleyes: )

And good luck Cofield :(

6 years $36 million. Redskins are actually in good cap shape right now. Much better than the Giants.

Ain't going to help us much unless we get a quarterback or Shannahan knows something about this John Beck guy that everyone else doesn't.

Ain't going to help us much unless we get a quarterback or Shannahan knows something about this John Beck guy that everyone else doesn't.

You guys won't accomplish shit as long as Snyder owns the Team.

86 - 106 record since he bought the team.

Only made post season twice and never advanced past the Divisional Round

In a league that frequently rewards stability in the front office and coaching ranks, Snyder has had 7 head coaches in 12 years.

The guy has been a failure as an owner and has shown himself to be a complete douche bag as well. He actually sued season ticket holders for non payment during the height of the recession despite claiming a huge waiting list for tix.

Amazing how quickly he has destroyed what was once a very solid, well run organization.

6 years $36 million. Redskins are actually in good cap shape right now. Much better than the Giants.

Thanks Mik. I read on ESPN but they didn't mention a dollar amount. I'm happy for Cofield... and yea the Redskins, I think, have an owner who lacks discipline and doesn't know much about football.

You guys won't accomplish shit as long as Snyder owns the Team.

86 - 106 record since he bought the team.

Only made post season twice and never advanced past the Divisional Round

In a league that frequently rewards stability in the front office and coaching ranks, Snyder has had 7 head coaches in 12 years.

The guy has been a failure as an owner and has shown himself to be a complete douche bag as well. He actually sued season ticket holders for non payment during the height of the recession despite claiming a huge waiting list for tix.

Amazing how quickly he has destroyed what was once a very solid, well run organization.

i hope Dan Snyder lives to be 139 and never sells that team

Thanks Mik. I read on ESPN but they didn't mention a dollar amount. I'm happy for Cofield... and yea the Redskins, I think, have an owner who lacks discipline and doesn't know much about football.

Snyder's not making the calls now. It's Shannahan and Allen. The Redskins weren't doing very well prior to Snyder either. In 1999 they went to the playoffs but there was a long stretch before where they weren't good.

I think the Redskins biggest problem was having Vinny Cerrato around. He's a great lawyer but not a good GM and would do whatever to make Snyder happy.

The Redskins have gotten younger. It will be interesting to see the players develop. Like Anthony Armstrong, Orakpo, Fred Davis, Trent Williams. Once the defensive line gets better I think Orakpo will light it up. We picked up Kerrigan to play a similar role as Orakpo but Kerrigan is a rookie so who knows if he'll ever be any good.

I do hope the rest of the division simply discounts the Redskins because Snyder's the owner though.

Haynesworth prediction. Either we get a trade for him or Shannahan keeps him through the season. He's money has already been paid so Shannahan won't do Haynesworth any favors.

Sad because he'd be a monster for us if he didn't insist that the playbook has to be written by him. Great player, complete douche.

From the posts it looks like we got a good player in Cofield. I wonder if we'll play him on the end or as nose tackle? Looks like he's pretty flexible and could be moved around. I think our defense will be significantly improved this year. We were 2nd to last last year so we can't get much worse. I thought we should have eased into the 3-4 over a few years as opposed to suddenly adopting it when we didn't have the proper players for that system. We had a good defense prior to implementing the 3-4.

Snyder's not making the calls now. It's Shannahan and Allen. The Redskins weren't doing very well prior to Snyder either. In 1999 they went to the playoffs but there was a long stretch before where they weren't good.

I think the Redskins biggest problem was having Vinny Cerrato around. He's a great lawyer but not a good GM and would do whatever to make Snyder happy.

The Redskins have gotten younger. It will be interesting to see the players develop. Like Anthony Armstrong, Orakpo, Fred Davis, Trent Williams. Once the defensive line gets better I think Orakpo will light it up. We picked up Kerrigan to play a similar role as Orakpo but Kerrigan is a rookie so who knows if he'll ever be any good.

I do hope the rest of the division simply discounts the Redskins because Snyder's the owner though.

Haynesworth prediction. Either we get a trade for him or Shannahan keeps him through the season. He's money has already been paid so Shannahan won't do Haynesworth any favors.

Sad because he'd be a monster for us if he didn't insist that the playbook has to be written by him. Great player, complete douche.

Yep which is why the Redskins are better off parting ways with this asshole. I don't think the devision discounts anyone.. it always comes down to the wire..

Im happy for BARRY......not the fuckin deadskins. I wish it were somewhere other than a rival. I loved Barry as a Giant, but lets hope he turns into a Cornelius Griffin while there. If I remember correctly, he didt do much once he became a deadskin.

Yep which is why the Redskins are better off parting ways with this asshole. I don't think the devision discounts anyone.. it always comes down to the wire..

I'd like the Redskins to get rid of Haynesworth but not until they have to which they don't really need to. No sense in doing that dude any favors. Really seems like he belongs in prison and I won't be surprised if he ends up there some day. Stomps on a dudes head, gropes a stripper, punches a guy in a traffic dispute.

Apparently the Cofield deal is only 12.5 million guaranteed over 6 years. 36 million tops if everything plays out exactly. Good move on the Redskins part because we added a quality player for a reasonable price and hurt a division rival in the process.

The Eagles are clearly the favorites in the division this year though. They're going to be good.

It will be interesting to see how the Giants do. How'd you guys get into salary cap hell? I thought the Giants were pretty good in that area. Are you going to have to dump a bunch of key players?

I'm not sure how the Redskins ended up with so much cap space either. Usually we're up at the limit playing shell games to make it all work.

I'd like the Redskins to get rid of Haynesworth but not until they have to which they don't really need to. No sense in doing that dude any favors. Really seems like he belongs in prison and I won't be surprised if he ends up there some day. Stomps on a dudes head, gropes a stripper, punches a guy in a traffic dispute.

Apparently the Cofield deal is only 12.5 million guaranteed over 6 years. 36 million tops if everything plays out exactly. Good move on the Redskins part because we added a quality player for a reasonable price and hurt a division rival in the process.

The Eagles are clearly the favorites in the division this year though. They're going to be good.

It will be interesting to see how the Giants do. How'd you guys get into salary cap hell? I thought the Giants were pretty good in that area. Are you going to have to dump a bunch of key players?

I'm not sure how the Redskins ended up with so much cap space either. Usually we're up at the limit playing shell games to make it all work.

Yea it seems the skins always make headlines with huge contracts but I guess it all comes down to what's guranteed. Don't know how we got over the cap but we do have a lot of good players...

2 things wrong with this paragraph:

1- You did not hurt a div rival

2- The eagles are not CLEARLY the best in the div. They look good, but it aint for sure. I think we look just as good, if not better.

2 things wrong with this paragraph:

1- You did not hurt a div rival

2- The eagles are not CLEARLY the best in the div. They look good, but it aint for sure. I think we look just as good, if not better.

Mik is right.. taking Cofield from us did hurt us in a sense.. but the nature of the beast is... salary cap.

The Eagles are the favorites till we can beat them... I'm sure they have some issues too we just don't hear much about them. We did close the gap in the sense we improved our defensive backfield... and if this Rookie LB proves to be a pleasant surprise then watch out.. as of now the Eagles are the favorite though.