SportsWrath

Barry Cofield

Guest StrahansGap

Mik is right.. taking Cofield from us did hurt us in a sense.. but the nature of the beast is... salary cap.

The Eagles are the favorites till we can beat them... I'm sure they have some issues too we just don't hear much about them. We did close the gap in the sense we improved our defensive backfield... and if this Rookie LB proves to be a pleasant surprise then watch out.. as of now the Eagles are the favorite though.

Theyd of hurt us if we had no one else at DT. With 2 promising rookies and Canty (Who I still think can contribute) and DE's that are monsters, our DLine will be fine.

And the eagles are favs by default. You have to give it to em due to them beating us and winnin the div. This is a new yr, and I think WE take it. :)

Theyd of hurt us if we had no one else at DT. With 2 promising rookies and Canty (Who I still think can contribute) and DE's that are monsters, our DLine will be fine.

And the eagles are favs by default. You have to give it to em due to them beating us and winnin the div. This is a new yr, and I think WE take it. :)

Yep.. but so far we haven't proven that.. which makes Mik right.. by default ;)

2 things wrong with this paragraph:

1- You did not hurt a div rival

2- The eagles are not CLEARLY the best in the div. They look good, but it aint for sure. I think we look just as good, if not better.

Spoken like a true fan.

1. How does losing a good defensive lineman not hurt the Giants? You give rookies too much credit. They are unknown. Losing a quality player is never a bonus.

2. The Eagles won the division and went to the playoffs. They also aren't in a salary cap bind like the Giants who will have to release a bunch of quality players. On the flip side the Eagles will be able to add a fair number of quality players.

I can't stand the Eagles but I'm not going to pretend they aren't the ones to beat.

Spoken like a true fan.

1. How does losing a good defensive lineman not hurt the Giants? You give rookies too much credit. They are unknown. Losing a quality player is never a bonus.

2. The Eagles won the division and went to the playoffs. They also aren't in a salary cap bind like the Giants who will have to release a bunch of quality players. On the flip side the Eagles will be able to add a fair number of quality players.

I can't stand the Eagles but I'm not going to pretend they aren't the ones to beat.

They never planned to resign him anyway.

not sure where all this nonsense about the Giants being under the gun as it where vis - a - vis nfc East Rivals.

Here are the numbers posted by John Clayton of ESPN a few days ago

Dallas Cowboys: $18.9 million over

New York Giants: $11.3 million over

Philadelphia Eagles: $13 million under

Washington Redskins: $10.6 million under

That means the Eagles and Dallas entered the new season with larger cap issues than the Giants and the skins where a paltry 700k below the Gints.

Although I do agree that the Skins won't have to part with any quality players. After all they only have a couple to begin with.

not sure where all this nonsense about the Giants being under the gun as it where vis - a - vis nfc East Rivals.

That means the Eagles and Dallas entered the new season with larger cap issues than the Giants and the skins where a paltry 700k below the Gints.

Although I do agree that the Skins won't have to part with any quality players. After all they only have a couple to begin with.

If the Eagles are 13 million UNDER and the Giants are 11.3 million OVER - how do the Eagles have a larger cap issue?

Same for Skins...they're 21.9 million better off than us, no?

What?

Based on that there's over a 20 million dollar difference between the Redskins and Giants and a 23 million dollar difference between the Eagles and Giants.

Under is very different that Over.

Just because we are over the cap doesn't mean we have to release a bunch of players. The Giants can restructure contracts (as long as the players are willing), and reduce those players' cap numbers. I believe that Peyton once restructured his contract, got more money, and reduced his cap number.

We will see, we have one of the best front offices in football (IMO), and I trust that Reese and Co. definitely know what they are doing and they are not just going to let very good players walk away.

Cofield is an exception, because he was going to get (and did get) far more money than his replacement value. Fact is, Canty is a damn good DT. People around here don't like to admit it, but he swallows up a lot of double teams. Cofield benefitted from Canty's presence last year. I'm not going to blow him up like he's an All Pro, but he didn't hurt the team, and he is part of the solution. Linval Joseph needs to step up now, and Austin is hungry and waiting in the wings. Austin just might come in and dominate very soon, he has that kind of athleticism and nastiness about him.

Back to Cofield, the Redskins will likely get a couple of very good years from him, and he did make them better. It seems that the Redskins m.o. is to take Giants DT free agents... remember Cornelius Griffin? He played for Skins a number of years after us and did a good job for them. Similar situation, and I think the Skins will be very happy in the short term with the player they got. We got 5 very good seasons from Barry. Maybe Skins will get another 5, who knows? But I'm happy we didn't overpay with the depth we have on our roster.

Spoken like a true fan.

A true fan that has a hard time admitting a div. rival is good..... :smartass:

See, I consider Canty a good quality DT, and also believe that the rooks will shine. But I'll give you that, I do put too much stock in em.

And the eagles are the team to beat, because theyre the div. champs. But thats the default. Its a new yr, and I think WE will come out on top.

You got yourself a good DT, enjoy bro.

What?

Based on that there's over a 20 million dollar difference between the Redskins and Giants and a 23 million dollar difference between the Eagles and Giants.

Under is very different that Over.

Although, DeSean Jackson is one unhappy camper and is expected to hold out. The guy's contract only calls for $500K salary this year. The Eagles are going to have to take care of him.

BTW Mik, I don't think Barry should play the nose... I heard the Skins are looking at bringing in Cullen Jenkins. If that's the case, a line with Kerrigan, Jenkins, and Cofield, with Orakpo the regular blitzing linebacker... that is quite a handful. Have you heard anything about Jenkins? Again, I think Cofield will be a better DE in a 3-4 than a NT.

Although, DeSean Jackson is one unhappy camper and is expected to hold out. The guy's contract only calls for $500K salary this year. The Eagles are going to have to take care of him.

yeah that's going to be interesting to watch. The Eagles don't seem to renegotiate when they don't have to.

Jackson is a real good player but he's a jerk. I'm sure if he had signed for a really large contract and played horribly he'd give money back.

BTW Mik, I don't think Barry should play the nose... I heard the Skins are looking at bringing in Cullen Jenkins. If that's the case, a line with Kerrigan, Jenkins, and Cofield, with Orakpo the regular blitzing linebacker... that is quite a handful. Have you heard anything about Jenkins? Again, I think Cofield will be a better DE in a 3-4 than a NT.

I know we're going to try and get Jenkins but I haven't heard that we have. Kerrigan may turn out good but he's a rookie so I don't give them much credit until they actually do something. He's also going to have to convert to linebacker like Orakpo did.

If he pans out that should really help Orakpo. It also helps Kerrigan by having Orakpo on the other side.

With our 3-4 defense we don't need a nose tackle that creates havoc. Simply having someone who can clog up the middle well would be a big boost. I thought it was pretty stupid to go into a 3-4 defense when we clearly didn't have the players for it. We should have simply started incorporating some 3-4 looks so players could transition into it and than add the right players through time. The defense was good before we went to the 3-4. I'm not sold on Haslett as the DC.

Should be interesting to see what they are willing to give the guy. The Eagles do not tend to over pay guys and while 47 catches and 6 tds are solid, they don't exactly put you in with the elites

DeSean seems to think of himself pretty highly though.

fwiw: he ranked 71st in catches, 12th in receiving yards and 29th in TDs ( tied with 14 guys )

Should be interesting to see what they are willing to give the guy. The Eagles do not tend to over pay guys and while 47 catches and 6 tds are solid, they don't exactly put you in with the elites

DeSean seems to think of himself pretty highly though.

fwiw: he ranked 71st in catches, 12th in receiving yards and 29th in TDs ( tied with 14 guys )

My guess defenses focused on him a lot.. which freed up other players so I won't put too much stock in individual stats here.

Just because we are over the cap doesn't mean we have to release a bunch of players. The Giants can restructure contracts (as long as the players are willing), and reduce those players' cap numbers.

They can definitely do a lot of things to play with the numbers. Trust me as a Skins fan I've seen that time and time again.:)

But it's not a great position to be in. You will definitely end up releasing players you'd rather not release and won't have much room to add quality players. Remember you also have to sign your rookies. I'm sure the Giants would have liked to have kept Cofield. If they had the Eagles or Redskins cap situation I'm sure they would have. 6 years with 12.5 million isn't a blockbuster contract.

The Eagles won the division and they have the most free cap space so they scare me the most in this division. I'm just curious who there backup quarterback will be. Vick isn't the most durable guy.

yeah that's going to be interesting to watch. The Eagles don't seem to renegotiate when they don't have to.

Jackson is a real good player but he's a jerk. I'm sure if he had signed for a really large contract and played horribly he'd give money back.

Also if Vick pan out he'll be expecting a huge paycheck as well. You guys have to understand, skins and egals doesn't really have a established QB. QBs demand the most money in the team.

Also if Vick pan out he'll be expecting a huge paycheck as well. You guys have to understand, skins and egals doesn't really have a established QB. QBs demand the most money in the team.

To their credit the Eagles' FO do a good job getting a bang for their buck. Yes Jackson and Vick will eat up a lot of their cap.. but deservedly so.

I think the minute Vick looks for a payraise, the Eagles will tell him to go fuck himself. The only reason he's playing right now is because they took a chance on him, and he's not going to get better then he was last year.

Jackson should be the main focus for them, he's the weapon they can't do without.

I think the minute Vick looks for a payraise, the Eagles will tell him to go fuck himself. The only reason he's playing right now is because they took a chance on him, and he's not going to get better then he was last year.

Jackson should be the main focus for them, he's the weapon they can't do without.

Boo, the dude is only the most electrifying QB in the league.. the Eagles lose him and they're fucked.

They can definitely do a lot of things to play with the numbers. Trust me as a Skins fan I've seen that time and time again.:)

But it's not a great position to be in. You will definitely end up releasing players you'd rather not release and won't have much room to add quality players. Remember you also have to sign your rookies. I'm sure the Giants would have liked to have kept Cofield. If they had the Eagles or Redskins cap situation I'm sure they would have. 6 years with 12.5 million isn't a blockbuster contract.

The Eagles won the division and they have the most free cap space so they scare me the most in this division. I'm just curious who there backup quarterback will be. Vick isn't the most durable guy.

Yeah, but wasn't it 6 years, 36 million, and the $12.5 was the guaranteed portion? If he's there 6 years he's going to get $36 million more than likely... so an average of $6 million per season is a pretty big pay day.

Boo, the dude is only the most electrifying QB in the league.. the Eagles lose him and they're fucked.

No they are not, they got talent all over that offense, they are set at running back and wide receiver as long as they sign jackson. They really just need a solid QB to get these guys the ball. I don't think you'll see Vick have the same year as last year.

Seriously Nas, every time we think the Eagles are screwed they prove us wrong. whether we like it or not, their front office is top drawer and they pull players out of nowhere to fit the system. Look at the McNabb deal last year, how many people thought it would be that lopsided and that they absolutely pulled the trigger at the right time. The only thing they have that works against them sometimes is their defense is small.

Booh, you are spot on... one thing that is crazy though is that they are not going to bring back ANY of their free agents. That is significant because that means last years' starters like S Quentin Mikell and LB Stewart Bradley won't be back... they are also letting Jerome Harrison walk as well... which is curious b/c the guy has so much upside and seemingly wouldn't break the bank.

Harrison is a guy I wouldn't mind seeing the Giants get in on.