SportsWrath

Barry Cofield

Guest StrahansGap

Guest StrahansGap

Honestly, I don't care about retaining any other player on the giants roster as much as Cofield. Are some of the other giant fa's irreplaceable? Sure. But not as irreplaceable as Cofield. I would do everything in my power to retain him. 54 tackles, 4 sacks and a mean run defender. Does anyone here trust canty, Bernard, Joseph or Austin enough????

Honestly, I don't care about retaining any other player on the giants roster as much as Cofield. Are some of the other giant fa's irreplaceable? Sure. But not as irreplaceable as Cofield. I would do everything in my power to retain him. 54 tackles, 4 sacks and a mean run defender. Does anyone here trust canty, Bernard, Joseph or Austin enough????

I agree with you. Cofield is going to cost a lot to keep though. The Giants should have locked him up on a long term contract a couple of years ago. Now they'll have to pay through the nose to keep him. But they need to sign him and keep him in a Giants blue uniform.

I also want them to keep Kiwi and of course, Steve Smith regardless of his injury. They should also resign Bear Pascoe while he's cheap to keep. I think Boss andTollefson also deserve a contract as well as Hixon. They have proven themselves to be valuable assets to the Giants.

As far as RB's go....I am of the "plug and play" mindset and that the O-Line and the plays by the offensive coach have much more to do with running successfully with the ball than the back himself.

In short.....keep the trenches strong on both sides of the line and keep the defensive backfield intact as well as keep the WR's that have proven themselves. Pretty much everyone else is expendable.

He's as good as gone.

It looks like the cap ceiling will be expanded but I don't have much faith that the Giants will be able to retain many of the FAs. The problem is that real talent is hitting the market from the Giants and the rookies still have to be signed and hopefully a decent FA LB signed. I don't have much faith that Cofield, Smith, Bradshaw or Kiwi are signed. Well actually Smith I think is the best bet since he's not disgruntled yet and hasn't admitted to wanting a big payday.

Can't see how Cofield is going to be a Giant this season. Plenty of money already invested at DT and we've drafted two in the last two years.

Its a shame that the Giants went and invested big money in Chris Canty and then brought in Rocky Bernard while Barry Cofield has IMO played better and proven more durable the past two years.

Barry is going to get paid elsewhere, hopefully in another division.

I cant see the Giants resigning Cofield, I think any bridges have been burned plus the investment of two second round DTs.

Do I want to see Cofield gone? Honestly no, he's a good all around DT. However I will say if there is one position on the field the Giants can fill it's the D-line. I don't know who they have scouting out the DE/DT position but whoever it is the guys deserves a raise.

I'll wait and see how the DT position plays out during the season, for all we know the rotation of Austin/Joseph might become the next John Henderson/Marcus Stroud combo like Jacksonville had.

You sound as confident as you did with your "there will be no football season" statements.

Same to you.

I figured I might as well make a statement I have no clue about the other way, the same way you did.

End Of NFL Lockout Means A Likely End To Barry Cofield's Time With Giants

sp0512cofield1millsjpg-c1792e3e555cc760.jpg

Barry Cofield can’t believe how quickly it’s about to happen.

When the NFL players’ voted in favor of a new collective bargaining agreement earlier today, it set in motion what promises to be a hectic few days for the veteran defensive tackle – a week that began with him as a locked out player still in search of a certain future and will end with him signing a long-term deal after more than a year of being in limbo.

While Cofield estimates the team that gives him that contract will not be the Giants, he vows to keep them in the loop.

“Yeah, if they make a competitive offer, sure. But based on the things I’ve been hearing, I don’t think that’s going to be the case,” the five-year veteran said by phone today. “Hopefully, I’ll get fair-market value that other quality starters get. From what I’m hearing, I don’t think the Giants can pay that amount.

“If they were competitive, absolutely. But to say I’d take an unfair contract or be willing to be paid less than that, no way I’m going to do that.”

The Giants will have to slash salaries just to get under the cap and then must figure out a way to keep some of their free agents, a list that includes Ahmad Bradshaw, Kevin Boss, Mathias Kiwanuka and Steve Smith. Having selected a tackle in the second round of each of the past two drafts after signing Chris Canty to a $42-million deal in 2009, the Giants seem highly unlikely to give Cofield a deal that will keep him in East Rutherford.

Still, he will answer the phone when he sees the 201 area code and will give the team a final chance to match any offer.

“I expect to hear from them. They promised they would call regardless,” said Cofield, a fourth-round pick in the 2006 draft who has missed only one game to injury in his career. “Whether or not they can make a competitive offer, I expect to hear from them. If they extend the courtesy to give me a call and let me know yay or nay, to check back in with them, I’ll do that for them. They gave me an opportunity to play in this league and we did some great things together.”

Over the past three seasons, Cofield played through knee and shoulder issues that required major surgeries. Still, he recorded three sacks in 2008 after having his knee reconstructed, and he set a career-high with four sacks last season while playing through a labrum issue.

Cofield’s production will earn him attention from a number of teams – possibly the Redskins, Seahawks, Broncos, Saints, Rams and Bears – beginning tomorrow. (If not, cough, sooner.)

Unlike a normal free agency period, however, Cofield won’t be able to take a tour of all or most interested teams. Instead, the time constraints will likely force him to reach an agreement with a team over the phone, at which point he’ll visit that team to take a physical and sign the contract.

“Being a free agent, it’s going to be a whirlwind,” he said. “If you’re a guy who’s high on the list, as soon as the clock starts ticking you’ll be talking to teams and signing. A lot of people are going to be concerned about their families and looking for places to live.

“It’s exciting and nerve-wracking, anxious, but all in all it’s a blessing to even be in this situation.”

Cofield can easily keep that perspective after 16 months of restricted-free-agent tenders, a near-trade to the Saints and a daily injury risk that threatened to take away his long-term deal before he had the chance to sign it.

“It’s exciting to know we’re going to be playing football as opposed to all this courtroom stuff and all of these interviews and stuff,” Cofield said. “Everyone, the fans and media, owners everyone, is tired of the speculation and is ready to get down to the game we love.”

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/07/end_of_nfl_lockout_means_a_lik.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=%23nyg

I still don't think Chris Canty was a bad pickup. Would like to see more from him as well. When the Giants picked up Chris Canty, the writing was already on the wall that Cofield was not going to be re-signed.

Rocky Bernard, was a bad pickup.

I still don't think Chris Canty was a bad pickup. Would like to see more from him as well. When the Giants picked up Chris Canty, the writing was already on the wall that Cofield was not going to be re-signed.

Rocky Bernard, was a bad pickup.

I agree with this.

He did? :blink:

from what i saw he did.

i agree with crazed that people are just carrying over their opinions from the 2009 season.

same with jacobs 'tiptoeing', i didn't see that last season either but people still mention it.

I can't wait until the Redskins over pay for Barry Cofield and then you'll see how average he is. He's the 2011 version of Cornelius Griffin.

Seriously, Canty takes up 2 blockers...why do you think Cofield, Osi and Tuck had great years? Aside from Osi, they were all healthy...Canty is a big, tall, strong dude and he takes up 2 blockers and can play defensive end as well.

In before Booyhah tells me I'm wrong.