SportsWrath

The Giants WILL Draft...

Allstarjim

One of these players, depending on how the draft plays out, with the disclaimer that the Giants could trade up or down and render this whole thread useless. So here's a look at the realistic candidates in the first round:

Corey Liuget

Why it makes sense: Two words... Barry Coefield. With Coefield a FA, and with the real possibility he may command more money than we would like to pay, DT may be a priority going into this draft.

Why it may not happen: Liuget will probably be drafted earlier, even though he's the 3rd best DT prospect in this draft.

Ryan Kerrigan, JJ Watt, or Aldon Smith

Why it makes sense: Osi is entering a contract year and Tollefson and Kiwanuka are likely to leave via free agency (if Kiwanuka can play football again). Reese loves his pass rushers and the defense is predicated on having at least 3 very good ones at end. If one of these guys falls, it might present good value for Reese to pull the trigger at #19. There are already THREE DE's likely to go ahead of these three... Quinn, Bowers, and Cameron Jordan.

Why it may not happen: There is a very real possibility that 6 DE's could go ahead of the #19 pick, and even if that number is 4 or 5, there could be another position player that ranks higher on the Giants board, because OL and linebacker are bigger needs.

Mark Ingram

Why it makes sense: Ahmad Bradshaw is a free agent, and Jacobs is coming off a turbulent season where his character came under fire. Not to mention, both players have had issues with ball security and health. Ingram is a former Heisman trophy winner and is adept at hanging onto the ball, as well as a tough runner, and is the highest rated running back on almost all the pundits' boards.

Why it may not happen: While Ingram could go earlier, he also represents bust potential. He's already endured a significant knee injury, and his production in his senior year was not as good as his junior year. There are also several talented running backs that should be available in round 2 that would probably represent a greater value.

Akeem Ayers

Why it makes sense: Coughlin and Co. have already taken a hard look at Ayers, and there is a decent chance he'll be there at 19. He's the 2nd highest rated linebacker in the draft, a position that is desperately in need of a upgrade. This could be a good fit where the front office sees a good player staring them in the face at the right time, pick 19.

Why it may not happen: Linebacker has not been a big priority for Reese and company in draft's past. Also, is Ayers a better fit in a 3-4? Even if he would be good in a 4-3, is he a significant upgrade athletically? Why didn't he have bigger numbers at UCLA? Many pundits have him going much later in the first or even the second round, and he did not impress at the combine, or significantly improve his stock at his pro day. A lot of questions about Ayers.

Jimmy Smith

Why it makes sense: He's really really good. Could be a shutdown corner in the NFL, and could be available at 19... making him too good to pass up. Is probably at or near the same talent level as Prince Amakumura or even Patrick Peterson, who will go in the top 10 picks. Would represent phenomenal value talent wise at this point in the draft. Aaron Ross AND Terrell Thomas are entering contract seasons, and good corners are paramount in any defense, but especially in a 4-3. He is 4 years removed from off the field troubles.

Why it may not happen: His value is lower because he has big time character concerns. He's been arrested twice for possession and failed a drug test in 2007. While DB may be somewhat of a need, it is not a dire need this year. He could realistically be gone before the 19th pick.

Anthony Castonzo, Gabe Carimi, Nate Solder, or Derek Sherrod

Why it makes sense: The offensive line is in flux. McKenzie is nearing the end of his career, and the Giants offensive line is probably better if someone moves Diehl inside to guard. One or more of these guys WILL be there at 19, and tackle represents good value here at this point in the draft. OL would seem to be a priority going into this draft.

Why it may not happen: If Castonzo and/or Carimi are gone prior to 19, which is a real possibility, Reese and TC may feel that the remaining tackle prospects would be a reach at their draft position. Reese has not shown in the past that he will reach for a perceived position of need. It all comes down to their draft board.

Muhammad Wilkerson

Why it makes sense: I had to add him, because the rumor mill is swirling that the Giants are very interested, and it's highly likely he's sitting there at 19. He fits the mold of what the Giants like, big (6'4", 315lbs), strong (27 reps), and very athletic (4.96 40, 7.31 cone). As previously noted, Coefield has a good chance of playing elsewhere next season. He dominated his level of competition (70 tackles, 13.5 for loss, 9.5 sacks) in the MAC. His explosive pass rush ability has him rising up draft boards and the Giants love their pass rushers, as we all know.

Why it may not happen: Most pundits have him a little later in the draft. Do the Giants like him more than the other DT's that might be available at 19 (Liuget, Marvin Austin)? Are there small school concerns here, as he played at Temple? Any question about him could mean he's not 19th pick material, but his chances of becoming a Giant seem to be increasing daily.

Mike Pouncey

Why it makes sense: The Giants may put a big premium on grabbing an interior lineman, because of major health concerns with O'Hara and Seubert. Pouncey is the best interior lineman in the draft. He can play guard or center, he projects to be available at the Giants pick. Fills a need.

Why it may not happen: The tackle position should be rich for the Giants when they pick, and if you have a choice at the two positions, the more logical choice is to take a tackle in the first round. There is a lot of value at guard and center in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Pouncey had trouble with snaps in shotgun formations at UF.

Thoughts on this guys? Anyone you guys would like to add?

my personal hopes are ingram in the first and bruce carter in the 2nd.

i really think our 1st will be either ingram or liuget.

The only thing about Ingram is his knee, alot of reports are coming out that more and more teams are concerned about his knee and he may end up falling into the second round because of it. There are even some reports of an early on set of arthritis which may cut his career short.

I do think we need to address the RB position in the draft but I dont think Ingram is going to be the answer. You cant invest the future of the position into a guy who might only be able to get six year out of his knee, if that.

I honestly don't have Ingram has the #1 back in this class, I think it's a media obsession and that's all. Most NFL teams are probably thinking he is just another guy and they are not gonna take him, just because he is there. I have heard comparisons to Emmitt Smith, yeah the college version of Emmitt Smith who went to the perfect situation.Most teams in the NFL don't have priority at the position. I have seen guys mocking him to GB, it would be a waste,he would be like a 6th olinemen if he went to GB. They pass it 50 times a game,and I think their RB by committee approach worked just fine (obviously) Just like the Colts took Brown a few years ago, he has done nothing cause they don't give him the ball. The Dolphins seem like they are getting De'Angelo Williams whenever there is free agency, plus I like someone like Mikel Leshoure,Kendall Hunter,Daniel Thomas for them and they could last until the third round.

Anyone ever see a draft where no Rb's go in the first round? This would be one because I just don't see Mark Ingram as a first round player.

Its just not a good class and he's the best.

RB's tend to fall, but all it takes is one team to like a guy. Just like Denver taken Tebow last year, if they didn't who knows how far he would of fallen.

This guy claims he's big blue 25 but he's not. 25 had some knowledge of football.

you like Ingram? It's just hard to assess him at Alabama he was running through semi sized holes, there was no one close to him. I see him stop and then take awhile to get back his momentum, he is not fast and that could hurt him at the NFL level. We will see, the RB I really love is Jordan Todman out of UCON. Wasn't you. who called him the next

Ron Dayne, only shorter and with less power

I agree with Bigblue25 and BlueinCanada on Ingram. I have a big fear of the Giants taking him because of the legacy of his father, and I am very concerned that the knee is going to significantly shorten his career. Bottom line, I love Mikel Leshoure and I've been saying for a long time that I think he's the best back in this class. The earliest I've seen him taken by the pundits and in mock drafts is very late in the first round, about where New England is. Another guy I like is the kid from Virginia Tech, Williams. I think this draft class is going to produce a good number of value running backs, guys not considered first round talent but guys that are going to pay off big in the NFL. I can see that with the aforementioned Todman (although I'm not sure he has the size to be an every down back) and Daniel Thomas from K-State. Another guy is DeMarco Murray from Oklahoma. Later in the draft you could have diamonds in the rough like Shane Vereen from Cal, Jacquizz Rodgers from Oregon State, and Roy Helu from Nebraska. There's also a Darren Sproles clone that will be available late in the draft from West Virginia, Noel Devine.

I think this is a position the Giants need to wait on until at least the 2nd round, but gawd would I love it if we somehow landed Mikel Leshoure. That's my guy.

I agree with Bigblue25 and BlueinCanada on Ingram. I have a big fear of the Giants taking him because of the legacy of his father, and I am very concerned that the knee is going to significantly shorten his career. Bottom line, I love Mikel Leshoure and I've been saying for a long time that I think he's the best back in this class. The earliest I've seen him taken by the pundits and in mock drafts is very late in the first round, about where New England is. Another guy I like is the kid from Virginia Tech, Williams. I think this draft class is going to produce a good number of value running backs, guys not considered first round talent but guys that are going to pay off big in the NFL. I can see that with the aforementioned Todman (although I'm not sure he has the size to be an every down back) and Daniel Thomas from K-State. Another guy is DeMarco Murray from Oklahoma. Later in the draft you could have diamonds in the rough like Shane Vereen from Cal, Jacquizz Rodgers from Oregon State, and Roy Helu from Nebraska. There's also a Darren Sproles clone that will be available late in the draft from West Virginia, Noel Devine.

I think this is a position the Giants need to wait on until at least the 2nd round, but gawd would I love it if we somehow landed Mikel Leshoure. That's my guy.

I like Taiwan Jones has well, he has character concerns. He could be a poor mans Chris Johnson. Immature and naive and not focused, are not terms I like to hear in a prospect though. His pro day is tomorrow, they are saying he should run in the 4.2 range maybe lower. On path to the draft, Charlie Casserly, said the big upset will be Leshoure goes higher then Ingram.

Taiwan Jones ran a 4.33 officially and a 4.28 unofficially at his pro day. Those would of been the fastest times at the combine, Chris Johnson ran 4.24 at the combine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCIN6EWoPBo

I like Taiwan Jones has well, he has character concerns. He could be a poor mans Chris Johnson. Immature and naive and not focused, are not terms I like to hear in a prospect though. His pro day is tomorrow, they are saying he should run in the 4.2 range maybe lower. On path to the draft, Charlie Casserly, said the big upset will be Leshoure goes higher then Ingram.

I think Charlie Casserly has been reading my posts on this board for awhile! I honestly won't be surprised. What I am surprised about is that so many draft gurus ever had Ingram higher than Leshoure all along. The only problem with Leshoure is he didn't play at one of the big powers in the SEC. But you can't argue with his production, his physique, and what you see on film. He's a monster.

Joe, while I'm going to trust Reese to make the best decision for us (for the most part), I'm down right scared of the Eagles getting Jimmy Smith behind us. I would much rather the Eagles take an offensive lineman.

Damn, is he that good? If so, he could be worth it.

I think he has bit more power than Ron Dayne but with even less speed. Looking forward to watching a game with him running for someone else.

you like Ingram? It's just hard to assess him at Alabama he was running through semi sized holes, there was no one close to him. I see him stop and then take awhile to get back his momentum, he is not fast and that could hurt him at the NFL level. We will see, the RB I really love is Jordan Todman out of UCON. Wasn't you. who called him the next

Ron Dayne, only shorter and with less power

Anyone ever see a draft where no Rb's go in the first round? This would be one because I just don't see Mark Ingram as a first round player.

Its just not a good class and he's the best.

we've been heading towards a year like that for a while. it's just too easy and cheap to build a running game these days

I hope the Giants address the offensive line. Not a glory position, but as Coughlin stated when he took over, "the real battle is won in the trenches".

Our O-line is getting a little long in the tooth and injuries take longer to heal. We need some young studs learning from the best.

Great running backs are made by great offensive lines (as are QB's). The O-line does the work and the RB gets the glory.

I see Anthony Canstonzo mentioned by about 80% of the mock drafts out there as being targeted by the Giants. I would have no problem with that. It's a need area and he's one of the best OL in the draft.

I also would have no problem with the Giants drafting Akeem Ayers as we need more Linebacker help.

All in all, I don't think the Giants have many "real needs".....which I guess we'll know more about that after we find out who they re-sign. We can draft for depth which is a real luxury for a change and I see O-line (especially a future bonefide left tackle or a dominate center) and Linebacker as the only area that could be shored up. We can get a quality RB anywhere in the draft and like I pointed out, a RB is made or broken by the quality of an offensive line.

I hope the Giants address the offensive line. Not a glory position, but as Coughlin stated when he took over, "the real battle is won in the trenches".

Our O-line is getting a little long in the tooth and injuries take longer to heal. We need some young studs learning from the best.

Great running backs are made by great offensive lines (as are QB's). The O-line does the work and the RB gets the glory.

I see Anthony Canstonzo mentioned by about 80% of the mock drafts out there as being targeted by the Giants. I would have no problem with that. It's a need area and he's one of the best OL in the draft.

I also would have no problem with the Giants drafting Akeem Ayers as we need more Linebacker help.

All in all, I don't think the Giants have many "real needs".....which I guess we'll know more about that after we find out who they re-sign. We can draft for depth which is a real luxury for a change and I see O-line (especially a future bonefide left tackle or a dominate center) and Linebacker as the only area that could be shored up. We can get a quality RB anywhere in the draft and like I pointed out, a RB is made or broken by the quality of an offensive line.

All excellent points. I am also leaning towards the offensive line pick. A cornerstone offensive lineman for the next 5 or so years (hopefully longer) will be key in continuing this solid era of Giants football into the next several season. Also, I think it will, in the long run, prolong Eli Manning's career as a top tier quarterback. Our running backs are good, but for the short term fix, we do need something in the second or third round to at least keep the guy's motivated and playing hard with positions at stake if (hopefully when) there is a season.