SportsWrath

IF Coughlin is gone, who do you want?

Mr. P

Since the other thread at the moment is just discussing whether Coughlin should go I figured I'd start one for this discussion.

I do not want Coughlin gone but in the event he is fired I'm almost leaning more towards Gruden than Cowher, I like both guys but for a couple reasons I think Gruden would be a better fit.

Cowher always ran a 3-4 and I don't want to go through that switch, a 3-4 would not be playing to the strengths of our very good d-lineman, sure tuck could probably play 3-4 end along with canty, maybe linval joseph could be a NT, maybe osi and jpp could be olb's but i think that wouldnt be utilizing them correctly.

I also think Gruden could work well with Eli, hes always gushed over him when we've been on monday nights, and I think they could succeed together, and unlike Jerry Jones, i think Reese would work closely with Gruden to get him the players he likes, since Gruden is big into that.

kiwi can play olb in a 3-4 and i think jpp has the physical tools for it too

i'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt just for the sake of having a fresh voice and fresh system. our offensive gameplan needs a revamping too

I wouldnt want Gruden of Cowher, I think both of them are highly over rated coaches.

Gruden has had more success and has coached more then one team to the playoffs, so I would give him the nod but like I said I wouldnt want either in all honesty.

If Coughlin is let go, I honestly dont know who I would want that is available anyways. I'd trust that Reese and Co would find someone who they feel will get this team a better record in December.

I'd take Cowher first, he's a potential HOF coach with a great pedigree that's accessible to players but demands discipline. He's won with the likes of Kordell Stewart and Neil O'Donnell as his starting QBs... imagine what he could do with Eli. Also, Pittsburgh lost star players to FA literally every year and Cowher still had his teams in the playoffs.

I don't want Gruden. He won one SB with Tony Dungy's team and... uh... umm... plus, he's awful with QBs, Rich Gannon notwithstanding.

I'd take Fisher over Gruden. His teams always seem to be competitive and prepared, and again, he wins with shit QBs. For all the talk of Steve McNair being MVP, he sure didn't do shit once he left for the Ravens. Plus, aside from Eddie George, Chris Johnson, and Jevon Kearse, name one star that's been there in the ten years Fisher has coached that team.

Outside of those guys, I really don't know. I just know the Giants need a change.

there is the problem. I would accept a few different choices but they all have knocks on them

Cohwer - Is a good steady coach. the 3-4 ting is not an issue for me becauses good coaches adopt philosophies for the personnel they have. Yeah he only one one superbowl but his teams were usually consistent and play hard. but took him many years to finally get the ring.

Gruden - Good offensive minded coach that won one superbowl in Tampa with Dungy's team. Not sure on his evaluation of talent though.

John Fox - Good Defensive coach has a good history with the Giants but has fielded some pretty shitty teams the past few years (assuming he is not resigned by the panthers)

The Giants don't need all that much. They have talent to win their division and the conference right now.....

They need a red ass....someone who can keep the intensity up for an entire season. The Giants are like the Tortoise and the Hare....them being the Hare.

Start well ....season....most games....then they loose focus....drop balls.....bumble balls.....blow coverages...would have put away..........take some special teams plays off. ...then totally tank games that any Parcells team locks down and wins.

They need Cowher.

C. Wagon.

I wouldnt want Gruden of Cowher, I think both of them are highly over rated coaches.

Gruden has had more success and has coached more then one team to the playoffs, so I would give him the nod but like I said I wouldnt want either in all honesty.

If Coughlin is let go, I honestly dont know who I would want that is available anyways. I'd trust that Reese and Co would find someone who they feel will get this team a better record in December.

since your a terminal AH Eeehhh! this is a ringing endorcement of both guys in my opinion

you are the ultimate negative barometer :rolleyes:

I'd take Cowher first, he's a potential HOF coach with a great pedigree that's accessible to players but demands discipline. He's won with the likes of Kordell Stewart and Neil O'Donnell as his starting QBs... imagine what he could do with Eli. Also, Pittsburgh lost star players to FA literally every year and Cowher still had his teams in the playoffs.

I don't want Gruden. He won one SB with Tony Dungy's team and... uh... umm... plus, he's awful with QBs, Rich Gannon notwithstanding.

I'd take Fisher over Gruden. His teams always seem to be competitive and prepared, and again, he wins with shit QBs. For all the talk of Steve McNair being MVP, he sure didn't do shit once he left for the Ravens. Plus, aside from Eddie George, Chris Johnson, and Jevon Kearse, name one star that's been there in the ten years Fisher has coached that team.

Outside of those guys, I really don't know. I just know the Giants need a change.

the dog doesn't get the cowher fascination. 13 years of coaching he won one title and failed in the playoffs at home on a regular basis. plus it is very rare that a coach comes back after being out of the game a few years and accomplishes the same level of success. careful what everyone is wishing for...given what is out there, coughlin is not so bad...

Easily Cowher. He has had sustained excellence for a legendary team with high expectations (like the Giants), his offense was focused on the power running game and his defense was built on blitzing and dominating. I'll bet we get those big time linebackers with BC as coach too. Both things this team was built for but not executing well.

the dog doesn't get the cowher fascination. 13 years of coaching he won one title and failed in the playoffs at home on a regular basis. plus it is very rare that a coach comes back after being out of the game a few years and accomplishes the same level of success. careful what everyone is wishing for...given what is out there, coughlin is not so bad...

I too don't want Cowher and I agree with you here.

Why do I get the feeling that if the overall view of the board was that Cowher sucks, then the dog would be telling us how we underate Cowher.

I don't think that's the case. What did Cowher do that's spectacularly more than Coughlin?

I don't think that's the case. What did Cowher do that's spectacularly more than Coughlin?

He didn't do anything "spectacularly" more than anybody Nas. He has a better winning % than Coughlin in the regular and post season. Let's put it this way Nas, if before Coughlin had been hired, and for some reason Cowher and Coughlin were available, do you really think most of us here would want Coughlin over Cowher. I doubt it. Since then both have won superbowls, but the truth of the matter is that since that superbowl, it's very possible that this team has had more talent the last 3 years only to absolutely squander it. As for Cowher, VG said it right, over a long period of time he sustained a successful team and quite possibly is a "neil o' Donnell turning Larry Brown into a God" away from having a 2nd superbowl.

Why do I get the feeling that if the overall view of the board was that Cowher sucks, then the dog would be telling us how we underate Cowher.

not at all. the dog was never overwhelmed by cowher. look at his history. he was a good a coach, but failed in the playoffs. people are quick to take shots at andy reid for not winning when it counts. cowher wasn't far from that. he finally did win one, but after how many failed playoff attempts, particularly at home. and aside from dick vermeil, how many coaches ever come back after a few years away to achieve success? not many. that would put gruden low as well.

the problem is, coughlin is not a bad coach, and can still get the job done. when the eli-lovers come out of the wood work, they will defend his winning record and the fact that he has gotten them to the playoffs 4 times in his first 7 years and has a super bowl win (never mind that outside of one year, he has won zero playoff games, but that is a debate for another time...)...yet coughlin has to go with the same accomplishments. just be careful. ask fans of the broncos, dolphins, cowboys, redskins, 49ers...etc...

not at all. the dog was never overwhelmed by cowher. look at his history. he was a good a coach, but failed in the playoffs. people are quick to take shots at andy reid for not winning when it counts. cowher wasn't far from that. he finally did win one, but after how many failed playoff attempts, particularly at home. and aside from dick vermeil, how many coaches ever come back after a few years away to achieve success? not many. that would put gruden low as well.

the problem is, coughlin is not a bad coach, and can still get the job done. when the eli-lovers come out of the wood work, they will defend his winning record and the fact that he has gotten them to the playoffs 4 times in his first 7 years and has a super bowl win (never mind that outside of one year, he has won zero playoff games, but that is a debate for another time...)...yet coughlin has to go with the same accomplishments. just be careful. ask fans of the broncos, dolphins, cowboys, redskins, 49ers...etc...

I don't take shots at Andy reid at all. I think apart from the odd mental breakdown, he's the deifinition of a good coach and if he were coaching someone other that the Eagles, I think he deserves a superbowl win.

Other than Bill Billichek whose the best head coach of the last 10 to 15 years? Cpwher has the title plus another super bowl appearence. Is Dungy better?

Nobody is saying Coughlin is a bad coach, just that his message or his delivery is not reaching the players on this team anymore.

I don't take shots at Andy reid at all. I think apart from the odd mental breakdown, he's the deifinition of a good coach and if he were coaching someone other that the Eagles, I think he deserves a superbowl win.

I agree. Every three years or so when the Philly fans start calling for his head, I'm the first one to say we'd take him here. We sure as hell can't beat him.

Other than Bill Billichek whose the best head coach of the last 10 to 15 years? Cpwher has the title plus another super bowl appearence. Is Dungy better?

Nobody is saying Coughlin is a bad coach, just that his message or his delivery is not reaching the players on this team anymore.

That's exactly it. Coughlin is a very good coach who will catch on with another team and likely be very successful, however, his act has grown stale.

You mean "the Elaine Benes method of promotion".

Pretty much. I like Coughlin, and don't want to see him canned. He's a great football guy, and you've got to think he'd contribute to the organization.

But get me a Fisher, or a Gruden....fuck, I'd love to see what Gruden and Manning could do together.

You've got to think that any coach would look at this team and think "I can win with these fucking morons".

I agree. Every three years or so when the Philly fans start calling for his head, I'm the first one to say we'd take him here. We sure as hell can't beat him.

That's exactly it. Coughlin is a very good coach who will catch on with another team and likely be very successful, however, his act has grown stale.

Not being flippant here....he is the Pat Riley of football...he wears out his welcome with the players and they just start tuning him out. Same thing happened to Riley with every team he coached.

Yup, things are starting to feel stale. Like the end of an era. Things have run their course. Feels like Fassel is coaching again.