SportsWrath

Giants Awarded WR Devin Thomas Off Waivers; Put Hedgecock On IR

Mr. P

Had a Redskins fan friend of mine email me saying that we signed him, guess the main reason he was waived is claims that he wasn't a worker and didnt take time studying game film. Another claim is that from day one Thomas and Shanahan never got along and was in constant feuds with Mike.

Giants Claim Former Redskins And Pathers Wide Receiver Devin Thomas Off Waivers

thomas112410jpg-50f76163cdebb256.jpg

Desperate for help at wide receiver, the Giants are now collecting former high-round draft picks in the hopes something will stick.

One day after signing former first-rounder Michael Clayton, the team claimed Devin Thomas off waivers from the Panthers. The corresponding move was fullback Madison Hedgeock to injured reserve.

Thomas, a second-round pick of the Redskins, had only 40 receptions for 445 yards and three touchdowns in his first two seasons with Washington. He played in four games for the 'Skins this season before being waived.

The 6-2, 218-pound Thomas was claimed by Carolina but played in only one game for the team and did not record a reception. Thomas was waived by the Panthers - that would be the 1-9 Carolina Panthers, ladies and gentlemen - on Tuesday.

As for Hedgecock, his season is over two months after suffering a hamstring injury in the Week 4 victory over the Bears. Hedgecock's rehab hit a few snags, including earlier this month when he suffered a setback while catching a pass in practice. He was to attempt to practice today, though he didn't look very pleased as he took off the wrap on his right thigh in the locker room afterward. Hedgecock later appeared upset as he took a game ball - obviously one he had been awarded a while ago - to his car.

Hedgecock's being placed on IR means converted tight end Bear Pascoe will remain the team's fullback.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/11/giants_claim_former_redskins_a.html

There's potential here. While this player has big question marks about his work ethic, if this coaching staff can straighten him out, then it could be a diamond in the rough situation. I'm not crowning him, he has to earn it. But he has to know that if he's waived a third time, his only other option might be UFL or CFL. Same for Clayton. How many former 1000 yard receivers still in their 20's can you find out there in free agency? Not many. Hopefully one or both of these guys can make a good impression and contribute immediately.

Had a Redskins fan friend of mine email me saying that we signed him, guess the main reason he was waived is claims that he wasn't a worker and didnt take time studying game film. Another claim is that from day one Thomas and Shanahan never got along and was in constant feuds with Mike.

Then he'll really get along with Tom "easy as a Sunday morning" Coughlin. :rolleyes: