SportsWrath

Giants Sign Bear Pascoe Off Practice Squad; Waive Bryan Kehl

Mr. P

Travis Beckum was overwhelmed at times on Sunday when he was forcibly miscast into the role of blocking tight end. This Sunday in Indianapolis he’ll have help.

The Giants, not surprisingly, signed TE Bear Pascoe off their practice squad today. The 6-5, 251-pounder was described to me by a scout last year as a “beast” of a blocker, so that should free Beckum up to be a receiver, which is what he does best. It’s also probably a signal that Boss is likely out with the concussion he suffered on Sunday - - his third in the last 21 months.

To make room for Pascoe, the Giants waived linebacker Bryan Kehl, their fourth round pick in 2008 who has mostly played on special teams. He appeared to be the one who missed his block on Sunday that resulted in a blocked punt and a safety late in the game.

Pascoe, of course, was a training camp favorite when at times he was the only tight end able to practice. He earned rave reviews from Tom Coughlin, which is why it was such a surprise when he was waived on the final cut-down day. But the Giants had their fingers crossed the whole time that he’d clear waivers and they could sign him to the practice squad, where he spent most of last year after being cut by the 49ers who had drafted him in the sixth round.

With Pascoe on the practice squad and Boss out, Beckum was forced to do mostly solo duty at times in the Giants’ 31-18 win over the Panthers on opening day. They did use T Will Beatty as a tight end too, but now Beatty is out indefinitely with a broken bone in his foot. He is expected to have surgery later this week and one team source said he could miss 6-8 weeks while he recovers.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2010/09/bear-is-back-kehl-is-cut.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Fgiants+%28Blogs%2FThe+Blue+Screen%29&utm_content=Twitter

Will Kehl be on the practice squad? switching roles with Pascoe?? i mean they kept Kehl for some reason and besides, he's good insurance if anything were to happen to our LBs..

i dont think kehl is eligible for the practice squad.

• 2 months later...

Pascoe is the man, but I gotta say that Deon Grant or Antrel Rolle were the best free agent signings...have you guys ever seen a better Giants secondary? Webster blanketed Moss all game forcing the Skins to throw towards some mediocre receivers and also allowing the pass rush to really put a hurt to Mcnabb because he simply didn't have any where to go with the ball....TT had an awesome game but I did notice him whiff on a tackle...oh well, gotta take the positives with the (very few) negatives.

Pascoe is the man, but I gotta say that Deon Grant or Antrel Rolle were the best free agent signings...have you guys ever seen a better Giants secondary? Webster blanketed Moss all game forcing the Skins to throw towards some mediocre receivers and also allowing the pass rush to really put a hurt to Mcnabb because he simply didn't have any where to go with the ball....TT had an awesome game but I did notice him whiff on a tackle...oh well, gotta take the positives with the (very few) negatives.

Yeah, he wiffed bad then went and got the INT to make up for it. He should have taken a knee in the endzone though.