SportsWrath

Ware, Ross To Get Early Returns

Mr. P

With Domenik Hixon out for the season, the audition for the Giants’ return jobs begins on Monday night. And the leaders at the first turn are clearly running back D.J. Ware and cornerback Aaron Ross.

They will get the first shot at the kickoff return (Ware) and punt return (Ross) jobs in the Giants’ preseason opener against the Jets. Ware will be followed by running back Andre Brown and rookie receiver Victor Cruz. Cruz will also get a shot at punt returns, possibly with another unnamed player or two.

Having Ware return kicks makes sense, since he’ll likely be the third or fourth running back this season which would severely limit his time in the offense. But the use of Ross is sure to raise an eyebrow or two, since he’ll be at least the nickel corner and possibly a starter at some point, too.

Tom Coughlin, though, has no problem with someone who is expected to see significant playing time on defense during the season pulling double duty as a return man.

“I would expect he would be able to handle that,” Coughlin said. “It’s been done. Everybody in the league has utilized two or three guys back there and I’m sure we’ll be doing the same thing.”

Ross, for his part, has said many times he can handle both jobs. In fact, he said he’s been begging special teams coach Tom Quinn to let him try it for years.

The injury report

Several players didn’t participate in the walkthrough this morning, which almost certainly means they won’t play on Monday night: WR Steve Smith (groin), WR Sinorice Moss (groin), CB Corey Webster (glute), WR Tim Brown (groin/hamstring) and G Chris Snee (knee). All the TEs were out there, but TE Jake Ballard (hamstring), TE Scott Chandler (hip) and TE Kevin Boss (ankle/hamstring) were barely participating, so don’t expect to see them either.

Snee and Brown, by the way, weren’t even on the field. Snee was inside getting treatment and Brown was sent back to New York to have an MRI at the Hospital for Special Surgery. Also Webster spent much of the practice running and backpedalling up and down a hill next to the University at Albany stadium field.

Also, WR Derek Hagan, who bumped his head pretty hard in last night’s practice, said he’s doing fine. And CB Terrell Thomas said he’s hoping to play Monday night despite an issue with his right leg. He’s got a wrap on his right knee, but he said the injury “was just a cramp turned to a little tightness, but nothing to be worried about.” That doesn’t sound like it’s a knee. It sounds like it’s more of a muscular issue.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2010/08/ware-ross-to-get-early-returns.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Fgiants+%28Blogs%2FThe+Blue+Screen%29&utm_content=Twitter

............the issue isn't whether he "could handle both jobs"....the issue is that you don't put one of your best cornerbacks in situations where they have a very good chance of getting injured. Especially when you have a 3rd string back and guys you've signed specifically for the job.

How soon they forget Jason Sehorn's ruined career.

............the issue isn't whether he "could handle both jobs"....the issue is that you don't put one of your best cornerbacks in situations where they have a very good chance of getting injured. Especially when you have a 3rd string back and guys you've signed specifically for the job.

tiki barber fielded punts well into his starting days. sehorn got injured- it happens. you can't put a curse on the return game forever.

tiki barber fielded punts well into his starting days. sehorn got injured- it happens. you can't put a curse on the return game forever.

Not 'well into his starting days".... he returned punts in 2000 and 2001....2 years...and they knocked that shit off when they extended his contract....because he was too valuable at his actual position.

tons of players do it without getting injured.

im in agreement with blunatic on this one.

Oh, okay, I guess expendable players like Domenik Hixon, who are just as good at returning punts and in Hixon's case, better, AREN'T better options than starters.

If someone more expendable shows he is as good or better than Ross then by all means.

If someone more expendable shows he is as good or better than Ross then by all means.

Ware is a better option because he's actually handled the ball in the last 3 years and is used to taking hits while holding the ball.

Also because he's a solid running back that isn't going to see much time in the offense vs. a CB that could be starting, if not on game day, down the road when either Webster or Thomas is inevitably injured for a game or two

And, hey, maybe Victor Cruz will light it up back there, we'll see

Ware is a better option because he's actually handled the ball in the last 3 years and is used to taking hits while holding the ball.

Also because he's a solid running back that isn't going to see much time in the offense vs. a CB that could be starting, if not on game day, down the road when either Webster or Thomas is inevitably injured for a game or two

And, hey, maybe Victor Cruz will light it up back there, we'll see

If after we see them return some in preseason he looks as good then sure.

If Ross looks to be an impact returning the football then i want him returning the football. I've never been impressed with what i saw from ware in the return game before.

this is what preseason is for.

It was against the Jets was it not?

I think its a stupid idea to make Ross return punts. Ross is too valuable at the CB position that he plays. They have a bunch of guys who can return punts who even if they do get injured, it wont affect the team that badly. But if Ross goes down, our defense is set back considerably. We have experienced this with Sehorn. I agree that injuries can happen anytime, and you cant really predict it blah blah....but putting Ross in there to return punts is literally asking for it.

I think its a stupid idea to make Ross return punts. Ross is too valuable at the CB position that he plays. They have a bunch of guys who can return punts who even if they do get injured, it wont affect the team that badly. But if Ross goes down, our defense is set back considerably. We have experienced this with Sehorn. I agree that injuries can happen anytime, and you cant really predict it blah blah....but putting Ross in there to return punts is literally asking for it.

Hear, Hear! :thumbs:

And the fact of the matter is, we have offensive players equally and probably more capable than Ross, anyway, and they're way down the depth chart. And yes, I'm aware that he returned punts in college.

And they seem to happen every day this preseason. I say it's best to not tempt fate and let Ross (who is injury prone to begin with) focus on defense, and let somebody else return punts.

special teams is an important part of the game. when you put sub par people back there, you get sub par- maybe disastrous results. darrel green fielded punts his whole career- was he not important on D?

we're going to need field position because most likely the D will be giving up yards. put the best guy there, not a reuben drougns clone.