SportsWrath

New Sense Of Maturity Benefits Clint Sintim With Major Learning Curve Ahead

Mr. P

spgiants-1-millsjpg-a98ca497bd002792_large.jpg

All the code words and phrases were there Tuesday when people were talking about Clint Sintim (including Sintim himself): maturity, seriousness, effort, epiphany, handling himself accordingly, staying focused and appreciating his opportunities.

Very quickly, it became clear the Giants linebacker had some growing up to do after his rookie year. Based on the depth chart, he’d better grow up in a hurry because he’s not a rookie anymore, and he knows what that means.

“It means I’m not getting doughnuts even though some of the other guys think I am,” Sintim said with a smile after the first practice of mini-camp before adding: “But it means I’m just a little bit older. I’m expected to be a little more responsible and I’m expected to handle myself accordingly.

“They’ve got new guys in there for that — to make the mistakes and things like that. I’m just trying to do my best, accomplish the goal and that’s being a starter.”

It appears Sintim has already accomplished his goal. Now, it’s a matter of proving that trust is warranted.

Last year’s second-round pick has been the starter on the strong side for the Giants all spring. No splitting reps, no working his way up to the first team and not even talk from the team or coaches about how he still has to earn that spot.

With the Giants allowing Danny Clark to leave as a free agent, it’s pretty much Sintim or bust on the strong side.

That’s quite the vote of confidence, considering he played only sparingly as a rookie while recording just 20 tackles and one sack.

“We drafted him and we thought very, very highly of him. We still do,” coach Tom Coughlin said. “A rookie year is a rookie year. Everyone has kind of a different experience. So I think after that he understands that.

“He’s much more serious about what he’s doing right now.”

Coughlin appeared to leave plenty unsaid there. Leave it to Sintim to say it outright.

“I’d say I was immature about it, not really appreciating the opportunity I had, not really capitalizing on it,” Sintim said, though he didn’t provide specifics.

“So this year, there’s no real excuses. I can’t say I’m a rookie, I’m young or I don’t know what I’m doing. All that stuff is expected of me and I expect it of myself.”

Last year, Sintim had to get adjusted to lining up off the ball after playing on the line in a 3-4 at Virginia.

It’s a process of learning to “see more of the field” that will continue under new defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, who seems intent on having Sintim stacked behind the line.

Off the field, Sintim believes the lessons have been learned, thanks to extensive discussions with Clark, with whom he split time toward the end of last season.

“I started to appreciate my role and really just try to capitalize on everything that was given to me,” said Sintim, who missed the first four games with a groin injury.

“I guess it wasn’t a big epiphany but gradually just starting to understand what NFL football is all about.”

It’s about effort, which was apparently lacking for Sintim at times during his rookie season.

“I’m going to start on a great defense, with great teammates and a great organization,” he said. “I try to remind myself about that every time I don’t feel like doing something.”

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/06/new_sense_of_maturity_benefits.html

Professional football players eat donuts!? No wonder the defense was so ungodly slow to the ball carrier and consistently late on the blitzes last year!

they'd have been on time if it was blintzes!

blintz.jpg