SportsWrath

Giants, Saints Came Close To Making Deal Involving DT Cofield

Mr. P

Details on the near-trade of Giants defensive tackle Barry Cofield to the New Orleans Saints

cofield051110jpg-92b7c891a54e5952_large.jpg

Two weeks ago, there was a report the Giants and Saints nearly worked out a trade on the second day of the draft that would have sent defensive tackle Barry Cofield to New Orleans for a “second-day pick.” But aside from that, we didn’t get much more info.

There were plenty of unanswered questions remaining, such as exact compensation, why the deal fell apart, who initiated the contact, what exactly was offered, what the talks mean for Cofield’s future with the Giants and what exactly his mindset is now that he knows the team nearly sent him packing.

I now have the answers to all of those questions, courtesy of someone involved in the talks. The person requested anonymity because none of the parties has spoken publicly about the near-trade. Here’s what was revealed:

The Giants weren’t actively shopping Cofield. It’s just that the Saints called with an offer they couldn’t refuse. That offer was the Saints’ second-round pick – the last one in the round, No. 64 overall. At that point, knowing Cofield was playing on a one-year deal and might depart next year without any compensation, the Giants were prepared to at least get something back for him. (I had mentioned there was a team sniffing around Cofield before the deadline to sign an offer sheet; that team was the Saints.)

The teams worked out the trade before the Giants selected Linval Joseph at No. 46 overall. This was an interesting revelation because many assumed Cofield became expendable after the Giants added Joseph. It would seem that’s when talks picked up. But that would be an incorrect assumption. Now, did the Giants select Joseph because they thought they were about to move Cofield? That I can’t answer. I can assume he was one of the players being considered as one of the top guys left on their board. That’s the standard procedure before every pick: talk about the cluster of players left at the top of the board and settle on one of them. Did the possible pending trade nudge the Giants toward making Joseph the pick? Possibly, but again I can’t say that for sure.

The talks fell apart because the Saints’ contract offer to Cofield wasn’t even close to what he wanted. I don’t have the details but apparently the sides were never close to an agreement.

Cofield isn’t currently on the trading block. This was a one-time deal and not something the Giants are pushing to make happen. Of course, once a player’s name gets thrown out there as having nearly been dealt, it’s always a delicate situation. Which is why…

Giants GM Jerry Reese has smoothed things over with Cofield. He told him everything I mentioned above: the Giants weren’t pushing for a deal but couldn’t refuse a second-round pick for him. Reese assured Cofield he’s in the team’s plans for this season and that they wouldn’t have taken less than what the Saints offered. And…

Cofield isn’t going to throw a temper tantrum. Unlike many players who would take this opportunity to become malcontents and distractions, Cofield has gone back to work like a consummate professional, which is exactly what he’s been through this whole restricted-free-agent process. A Northwestern grad, he's a bright guy and he understands the business of his situation. That doesn't mean he's not frustrated by it, just that he knows why he's one of the players getting the short end of the stick because of this whole collective bargaining standoff.

In short, are Cofield's days as a Giant limited? Yeah, it certainly looks that way. But who knows how this will all play out? By next offseason, we could have a new CBA and a healthier, more accomplished Cofield. Don't forget he was slowed last season by microfracture surgery as well as a reconstruction of his patella tendon. Even so, the Super Bowl champs saw enough in him to agree to give up a high draft pick. That says something.

In the long run, this might work out well for Cofield because he could enter the free agent market having played a full season on a healthy knee instead of looking for a long-term deal after a year in which he admitted he was slowed early on. But for now, he's back to focusing solely on this season - one in which it appears he'll be wearing the same uniform he's donned since 2006.

Cofield has yet to sign the tender the team extended him as a restricted free agent, though that's likely coming soon. He has until June 15 to do so.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/05/details_on_the_near-trade_of_g.html

I agree, I think it would have been a terrible mistake to get rid of your only other starter at DT from last year...

Question, he was tendered at a 2nd round level, right? If we trade him during the draft, don't we get a 2nd rounder in the NEXT draft? What is this about a 4th in THIS years instead? Why would ever have done that?

I believe we could rescind the tender (like we did for CC Brown)..

Cofield is not happy about the fact that he has to accept the fact he's a restricted free agent, that fact was mentioned by Eisen last week that he's not a happy camper. He probably thinks the Giants could have locked him up before now. He's a victim of the non cap season. He could well bolt next year, and it would be hard to blame him. He's looking to get paid. That said, he could be a beast this year playing for a new contract next year.