SportsWrath

Well after thinking about the pick.

BlueInCanada

REESE YOU STUPID IMGRATE HOW CAN YOU MAKE SUCH A STUPID PICK!!@@!!@@!!@!@!

Just kidding.

After waking up this morning and jumping on the computer I hit the interwebz in search of information on our newly acquired DE Pierre-Paul. I thought I would share my (sober) thoughts about what I think about the pick and what others have to say after a day of thinking about it. Now just to get it out of the way I'm not overly thrilled with the pick as you can tell from the majority of my posts last night, however I know can see some reasons why we did take JPP. I'll start off with the good I see in the situation, it's a long one so just to give everyone a heads up.

The Good:

I can see this kid becoming a solid started in a couple years, all reports say he is a boom or bust however Reese has a solid track record of making first round picks and hopefully our scouts and coaches see something in him. He's athletic as all hell and maybe we have something planned for him a DE/LB much like Kiwi, plus with his one year of football(which I'll get to later) he is raw and can be molded into a solid hybrid player. Who knows maybe we use him like we did Tuck and rotate him inside to DT, I mean having Osi/Tuck/JPP/Kiwi all on the field at the same time....pretty scary. Although reports show that he was thinking about "quitting" football it was due more to economic/family reasons why he was considering leaving the sport. A few reports I have read have said that his family didn't know if they could afford to stay in an area with an high school/college football team, so I dont see problems with his passion for the sport.

I do think as well Osi and Kiwi will be departing the Giants in the near future and by all reports we are keeping Osi, so I figure we will let Kiwi's contract expire and let him test the market. If this is the case we will be left with Tuck/Osi/Toffelson as our main DEs and Osi has shown so far he is prone to injury and Tuck cant handle being the only starting DE out there. So I think JPP bring extra insurance to our D-line who was lack luster last year and hopefully Reese was right with this pick and he sees that the kid can be coached into a great player. On Mayocks draft board he was rated #1 in DEs so many scouts agree that he was the potential to be something good. I know we need help with pressure up the middle and listening to all the pre-draft news they said this draft is filled with starting DTs all the way into round 3 atleast so I can see us getting some help there. Plus we still have the option of a LB in round two. To me this was one of those "Best player available picks" much like Kiwi, although he might not start this year he is going to get experience in the rotation and hopefully becomes the player he can be. Alright now what I think the bad is in this pick.

The Bad:

This was one of those head scratching picks last night for me, I couldn't wrap my head around why we would draft a DE. This year anyways he isn't going to see much of the field and with Osi and Kiwi both bitching about starting time they might feel this is a slap to the face and start raising some issues again. However maybe they will be professional about it and take it as a challenge to play better. The one thing that pisses me off mostly about this pick is that when you are picking #15 in the draft you grab a guy who will start from day one and be a starter for years. We could of taken Iupati(sp), Weatherspoon, even that Dan Williams DT guy and they all would of been starters from day one. However I guess Resse, the scouts and coaches all believe JPP was the better value of the pick and did fill the smaller need of help on the D-line. Also what I dont like is the kid only has one year of football under his belt, although it was an impressive year did it really show what this kid can do in terms of being a DE? The one thing as well is the numerous reports of JPP being a bust and not living up to all this potential, I normally dont agree with many "draft experts" however in this case I do agree with some things they are saying.

This is a pick that isnt going to help early on, yes he will be in the rotation but like I said earlier at #15 you take a player who is going to be an impact player from day one and a stater not a prospect pick. Who knows when the Giants will draft this early again and with the chance to get a play making LB in Weatherspoon I can see why some find it hard to see the positive in this pick. I could be wrong though, who knows maybe he comes in on obvious third down passing plays and sacks the QB every time he is out there but as of this moment he is going to have to impress when he is out of the field. As many articles are saying "The Giants took athleticism over experience with the JPP pick" and I agree, I just hope Resse and Co know what their doing with this one.

Overall at first like I said I was pretty pissed about the pick and I'm still not to fond of the pick in all honesty. However I have come to see some of the reasons why we did make this pick, the kid if the scouting reports turn out to be right has tremendous upside. He we'll be a force on the D-line for years to come and we can run our patented four down DE formation again, not to mention I truly think the kid can play inside as a DT for a few snaps. We also have our second round pick to take the best ILB available and hopefully he can compete with Goff/Blackburn or whoever else for the spot. At the same time I do think this was a reach for us, DE wasn't a pressing need and we have much larger problems in the LB core and even along the O-line. I know we have the rest of our picks to go out and pick up players but with the #15 pick of the draft I wanted to see a kid who made me go "Fuck this kid is going to be a beast from day one".

So welcome Jason Pierre-Paul to the New York Giants we need any help we can get with our D, so lets hope you are going to be the beast many "experts" say you can be.

I think you summed it up very well....can't really disagree with the logic.

Bottom line is that this kid has crazy upside...we are sacrificing an immediate impact player for a guy that could be developed into an NFL sack leader.

He could be a bust, but he was not a reach....college is over....get this kid inside an NFL weight room, and an NFL training regimen, and pack about 25 pounds on that frame, and we might have someone scary.

This kid is nearly 280 pounds, but he's got a prototypical DE frame...he's got a ton of room to add more bulk.

As Gruden said: "Every time JPP gets on the scale, he's bigger".

NFL scouts baked in his upside, and projected him as a top 20 pick, which is where he was taken.

I know a backflip doesn't make you a great NFL player.....but when was the last time you saw a guy 6-4 and 280 do one?

I have had time to sober up, and still fucking hate this pick, Reese has a track record from one good fucking draft. Last year Nicks was OK but one fucking draft has brought Reese alot of "we can't criticize him" bullshit!

I have had time to sober up, and still fucking hate this pick, Reese has a track record from one good fucking draft. Last year Nicks was OK but one fucking draft has brought Reese alot of "we can't criticize him" bullshit!

I dont think anyone is given Reese the pass here infact alot of members are trying to make sense of this pick, which is what this post is about. I am willing to see what the rest of the draft is going to be like, I mean if we do take a LB with our 2nd and then a DT with our 3rd I will actually be satisfied with the draft on day two. I'm not saying "Reese if you do this I will forgive the first pick" but who knows I am willing to give him the credit of the doubt that I'm just a fan and their a professional sports franchise. Maybe they have plans for JPP, all I know is Reese and Co need to hit on the rest of the draft.

he's got to move a guy early today. he keeps saying not osi but he's not saying no DL- maybe it will be kiwanuka. otherwise, he sucks.

This guy is boom or bust. He's going to make plays because he's a freakishly gifted athlete, but my concern is with his smarts.

If his development was stunted because he didn't understand English well, then I think we'll be in very good shape. If it turns out he's dumb as a brick, he'll be outta here in 3 years.

This guy is boom or bust. He's going to make plays because he's a freakishly gifted athlete, but my concern is with his smarts.

If his development was stunted because he didn't understand English well, then I think we'll be in very good shape. If it turns out he's dumb as a brick, he'll be outta here in 3 years.

Yeah I think it's because he was taught French over English that he was having such troubles talking and understanding the interview questions.

he's got to move a guy early today. he keeps saying not osi but he's not saying no DL- maybe it will be kiwanuka. otherwise, he sucks.

It's going to be Kiwi traded because his contract is running out and I am sure teams will want him more that Osi anyway.

• 7 months later...

REESE YOU STUPID IMGRATE HOW CAN YOU MAKE SUCH A STUPID PICK!!@@!!@@!!@!@!

Just kidding.

After waking up this morning and jumping on the computer I hit the interwebz in search of information on our newly acquired DE Pierre-Paul. I thought I would share my (sober) thoughts about what I think about the pick and what others have to say after a day of thinking about it. Now just to get it out of the way I'm not overly thrilled with the pick as you can tell from the majority of my posts last night, however I know can see some reasons why we did take JPP. I'll start off with the good I see in the situation, it's a long one so just to give everyone a heads up.

The Good:

I can see this kid becoming a solid started in a couple years, all reports say he is a boom or bust however Reese has a solid track record of making first round picks and hopefully our scouts and coaches see something in him. He's athletic as all hell and maybe we have something planned for him a DE/LB much like Kiwi, plus with his one year of football(which I'll get to later) he is raw and can be molded into a solid hybrid player. Who knows maybe we use him like we did Tuck and rotate him inside to DT, I mean having Osi/Tuck/JPP/Kiwi all on the field at the same time....pretty scary. Although reports show that he was thinking about "quitting" football it was due more to economic/family reasons why he was considering leaving the sport. A few reports I have read have said that his family didn't know if they could afford to stay in an area with an high school/college football team, so I dont see problems with his passion for the sport.

I do think as well Osi and Kiwi will be departing the Giants in the near future and by all reports we are keeping Osi, so I figure we will let Kiwi's contract expire and let him test the market. If this is the case we will be left with Tuck/Osi/Toffelson as our main DEs and Osi has shown so far he is prone to injury and Tuck cant handle being the only starting DE out there. So I think JPP bring extra insurance to our D-line who was lack luster last year and hopefully Reese was right with this pick and he sees that the kid can be coached into a great player. On Mayocks draft board he was rated #1 in DEs so many scouts agree that he was the potential to be something good. I know we need help with pressure up the middle and listening to all the pre-draft news they said this draft is filled with starting DTs all the way into round 3 atleast so I can see us getting some help there. Plus we still have the option of a LB in round two. To me this was one of those "Best player available picks" much like Kiwi, although he might not start this year he is going to get experience in the rotation and hopefully becomes the player he can be. Alright now what I think the bad is in this pick.

The Bad:

This was one of those head scratching picks last night for me, I couldn't wrap my head around why we would draft a DE. This year anyways he isn't going to see much of the field and with Osi and Kiwi both bitching about starting time they might feel this is a slap to the face and start raising some issues again. However maybe they will be professional about it and take it as a challenge to play better. The one thing that pisses me off mostly about this pick is that when you are picking #15 in the draft you grab a guy who will start from day one and be a starter for years. We could of taken Iupati(sp), Weatherspoon, even that Dan Williams DT guy and they all would of been starters from day one. However I guess Resse, the scouts and coaches all believe JPP was the better value of the pick and did fill the smaller need of help on the D-line. Also what I dont like is the kid only has one year of football under his belt, although it was an impressive year did it really show what this kid can do in terms of being a DE? The one thing as well is the numerous reports of JPP being a bust and not living up to all this potential, I normally dont agree with many "draft experts" however in this case I do agree with some things they are saying.

This is a pick that isnt going to help early on, yes he will be in the rotation but like I said earlier at #15 you take a player who is going to be an impact player from day one and a stater not a prospect pick. Who knows when the Giants will draft this early again and with the chance to get a play making LB in Weatherspoon I can see why some find it hard to see the positive in this pick. I could be wrong though, who knows maybe he comes in on obvious third down passing plays and sacks the QB every time he is out there but as of this moment he is going to have to impress when he is out of the field. As many articles are saying "The Giants took athleticism over experience with the JPP pick" and I agree, I just hope Resse and Co know what their doing with this one.

Overall at first like I said I was pretty pissed about the pick and I'm still not to fond of the pick in all honesty. However I have come to see some of the reasons why we did make this pick, the kid if the scouting reports turn out to be right has tremendous upside. He we'll be a force on the D-line for years to come and we can run our patented four down DE formation again, not to mention I truly think the kid can play inside as a DT for a few snaps. We also have our second round pick to take the best ILB available and hopefully he can compete with Goff/Blackburn or whoever else for the spot. At the same time I do think this was a reach for us, DE wasn't a pressing need and we have much larger problems in the LB core and even along the O-line. I know we have the rest of our picks to go out and pick up players but with the #15 pick of the draft I wanted to see a kid who made me go "Fuck this kid is going to be a beast from day one".

So welcome Jason Pierre-Paul to the New York Giants we need any help we can get with our D, so lets hope you are going to be the beast many "experts" say you can be.

I don't sound that far off.

You weren't, the only one Pdoub :P

"I likeded it."