SportsWrath

Brandon Marshall for a #1?

fringe

Let's put things in perspective.

In 2009, Eli passed for 4000+ yards, thanks in large part to the emergence fo Steve Smith as a legimate #1 threat, plus Nicks, who was a 1st round draft pick. Both of these guys should only get better next year. Plus Manningham is a terrific 3rd option, and we've got a real sleeper in Barden.

In 2009, our defense was the worst in over 40 years. I've seen some crappy Giant teams, but I've never seen a Giants defense that was this plain shitty in my life.

Not only should we not use our #1 to draft or trade for an offensive player, but unless we have some real gem available, I wouldn't bother with offense until the 5th or 6th round.

Cochery is at least as good as any Giants receiver with Eli throwing to him. You'll see this year. (Damn I gave away a FFL sleeper) it would be a tremendous upgrade for the whole offensel, IMO.

Cotchery is good, real good...but Edwards didn't replace Cotchery. He replaced...who was it? Brad Smith? Clowney? I can't even remember...but the bottom line is....

Edwards replaced a WR who was good for maybe 20 or 30 catches a year. Marshall will replace either 100+ catch Steve Smith, or Nicks who paced out to 70 or 80 receptions in a full season.

Just for the sake of argument, lets say Marshall can do everything for the Giants offense that you say he can. In the passing game maybe he adds a hundred yards net. Maybe. He takes receptions from Smith, Nicks, and all the others...it won't add much there, thats for sure. When running the ball...I don't know, too hard to say. Except that Steve Smith is a pretty damn good run blocker for a little guy...take Smith off the field, Marshall would either have to be an equally good blocker or consistently draw an extra defender in coverage.

I just can't see where he's worth a 1st round pick. Not to the Giants, at least...there's no return on that investment.

Besides it's only one uncapped year.. if we have all these expensive superstars.. what happens next season when the cap is back? I'm good with our WRs... if it's not broken don't fix it.

I think the cap is gone forever. And with it, very possibly my football fandom, should they devolve into full-contact MLB.

I think the cap is gone forever. And with it, very possibly my football fandom, should they devolve into full-contact MLB.

I hope not because it would kill any real competition. It wouldn't be so bad for us Giants fans but for smaller teams, that already struggle, you may as well just root for another team because they will never win. Also since there aren't as many games to spread out the costs going to a game prices are going to get crazy expensive.

I hope not because it would kill any real competition. It wouldn't be so bad for us Giants fans but for smaller teams, that already struggle, you may as well just root for another team because they will never win. Also since there aren't as many games to spread out the costs going to a game prices are going to get crazy expensive.

Exactly. Thats why watching baseball is so pointless for me these days. And it doesn't help that my rooting interest has a distinct advantage...having that advantage makes any success that follows anti-climatic and undeserved, and any failures all the more bitter and disappointing.

I used to be three times the baseball fan that I am a football fan. Probably still would be if MLB had a salary cap.

Cotchery is good, real good...but Edwards didn't replace Cotchery. He replaced...who was it? Brad Smith? Clowney? I can't even remember...but the bottom line is....

you said jets didn't have anybody good before edwards.

and as far as the other stuff, i'm not going to repeat myself except to say i don't care if marshall catches any balls or blocks anyone as long as he's considered a threat and draws the coverage. you're too hung up on stats.

and as far as the other stuff, i'm not going to repeat myself except to say i don't care if marshall catches any balls or blocks anyone as long as he's considered a threat and draws the coverage. you're too hung up on stats.

'You're too hung up on stats.'? Thats often what someone says after they've lost a sports-related argument. :P

Repeat away, I love this stuff. :TU:

anyway...a semantic twist doesn't change the fact that there are usually at least two WRs on the field, and the Jets were starting a black hole out there pre-Edwards. (And I'm sure you realized thats what I meant in the first place.)

But if you still think he's worth a 1st round pick, more power to you...truth is, this time last year I would have had your back all through this thread. I was even luke warm on the idea of getting Edwards early last year. Marshall is a good player, I just think the Giants would get more on-field value by spending their 1st on a position other than WR. And I can make up stats to prove it too. :o

Brandon Marshall does.

'You're too hung up on stats.'? Thats often what someone says after they've lost a sports-related argument. :P

anyway...a semantic twist doesn't change the fact that there are usually at least two WRs on the field, and the Jets were starting a black hole out there pre-Edwards. (And I'm sure you realized thats what I meant in the first place.)

But if you still think he's worth a 1st round pick, more power to you...truth is, this time last year I would have had your back all through this thread. I was even luke warm on the idea of getting Edwards early last year. Marshall is a good player, I just think the Giants would get more on-field value by spending their 1st on a position other than WR. And I can make up stats to prove it too. :o

i didn't know we were arguing and i didn't know there was a winner or loser. just 2 different opinions. and when someone says "the jets didn't have anyone good" i usually take them at their word. i don't know you well enough to know that that means "they didn't have anyone else good"

and when i say "stats" i mean that some folks don't realize that everything is related in football. so it may look like your running game is deteriorating when it's really your passing game and so on and so forth.

btw, where did you get your sports argument psychology degree?

i didn't know we were arguing and i didn't know there was a winner or loser. just 2 different opinions. and when someone says "the jets didn't have anyone good" i usually take them at their word. i don't know you well enough to know that that means "they didn't have anyone else good"

and when i say "stats" i mean that some folks don't realize that everything is related in football. so it may look like your running game is deteriorating when it's really your passing game and so on and so forth.

btw, where did you get your sports argument psychology degree?

The University of Sportswrath.com. But its an honorary degree I bestowed upon myself.

Actually, I take that back...I cut my teeth in old baseball listservs/newsgroups...on baseball sites 'you're too hung up on stats' truly is a passive admission of defeat.

But here I'm just busting on you.... you're absolutely right about the stats being interrelated, individual stats don't mean much in football; preaching to the choir, blu! :TU:

The University of Sportswrath.com. But its an honorary degree I bestowed upon myself.

Actually, I take that back...I cut my teeth in old baseball listservs/newsgroups...on baseball sites 'you're too hung up on stats' truly is a passive admission of defeat.

But here I'm just busting on you.... you're absolutely right about the stats being interrelated, individual stats don't mean much in football; preaching to the choir, blu! :TU:

even though it's an honorary degree, i will call you doctor.

There were two major differences on the team between last years team and the one that won the super bowl. Strahan and Plax (and of course the DC). Granted losing Strahan changes any defense for the worse, but the following year, up to the point of Plax shooting himself, I think it's fair to say the Giants were the best team in the league and a favorite to win the super bowl again. The loss of a dominant, feared WR that demands attention very likely cost us another SB.

It isn't about stats, what were Plax's stats? The year we won he barely had a thousand yards and more than half way through the season the following year he wasn't on pace for a thousand or double digit TD's. But the team was unstoppable because defenses always had two guys on him and focused their attention on him.

Thats the thing a guy like Marshall can do for our offense. Smith is a damn fine wr, Nicks may well end up being great, but Marshall is a proven commodity, a guy who will demand attention and still get his receptions/yards.

Drafting is hit or miss, Mcclain or whoever we get could end up being a Patrick Willis, or he could end up being Willie Joseph.

it's as likely as the government blowing up buildings on purpose. rolleyes.gif

9/11 was an inside job. Wake up. Or be a good lil sheep and listen to what CNN, FOX, ABC, and all the other media outlets tell you.. That all happen to be run by the same people.

9/11 was an inside job. Wake up. Or be a good lil sheep and listen to what CNN, FOX, ABC, and all the other media outlets tell you.. That all happen to be run by the same people.

proof that anything's possible.

:wacko:

Yeah because they were able to Have demolition crews in and out or the WTC for months and months prepping the building for Demo without anyone noticing. You know like yay how come there is sheet rock dust all over my desk. Or how about the propery owners knowing because surely they were in on it to for the insurance on those buildings because it was worth a lot more reduced to a pile of rubble than still standing with all those tennants paying prime rent for space in a land mark building in the most famous city in the world.

And of course a inside plot to that scale would take massive amounts of Manpower and not a single one of those people leaked the info. The hijakers on the plane were staged. I guess a missle hit the pentagon too and not a plane.

And our Govt managed to pull all this off perfectly when they can't even properly manage Social security and Medicaid.

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: