SportsWrath

Giants tender offer to CC Brown

Mr. P

The franchise has given the fifth-year safety a restricted free-agent tender, a source told FOXSports.com. Brown is set to earn $1.226 million in 2010 if he signs the deal. The Giants would not receive draft-pick compensation if Brown were to sign elsewhere and New York declined to match.

Brown started seven games last season in place of Kenny Phillips, who was placed on injured reserve after just two contests because of a knee injury. Brown’s performance was heavily criticized as Phillips’ replacement but he did finish third on the team in tackles with 69.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/new-york-giants-cc-brown-offer-030110

Brown’s performance was heavily criticized as Phillips’ replacement but he did finish third on the team in tackles with 69.

Ya think?

If I understand RFA at all, and I'm not sure that I do, this is either incredibly stupid, or incredibly brilliant. Stupid because, who would pay a million+ to someone who sucks so bad (yet bench Osi). Brilliant because, if he signs somewhere else, the Giants don't have to match and can cut ties cleanly.

If the Giants are not going to get draft compensation, what is the benefit to making him a restricted free agent? Or have I answered my own question?(That's a real question, not sarcasm).

I begin to see Jerry Reese as a guy who's done little more than screw up EA's vision.

Our D stunk and what we replenished last year turned out to be almost total duds; coaching wasn't much better; the philosophy of not signing a big name free agent WR crippled us last season alone (in the early going) despite Steve Smith's big records, he wasn't a game changer.

Also, we did lose Shockey under his watch too.

I'd say that Jerry Reese should be graded harshly for his performance....I'm wildly disappointed in him.

I think I might be the only one here who thinks this is not that bad.

Actually I agree. He was used incorrectly last year. He is what he is and Sheridan tried to fit a square peg in a round hole (well actually he seemed to do this with most of the D).

I'm pretty sure all these tenders to scrubs has something to do with the bargaining agreement. They want to make sure there are replacements available before they let anyone go.

It has to be that. I can't imagine any benefit otherwise, especially considering the absence of draft compensation. Maybe to lock him in place for trade purposes?

Actually I agree. He was used incorrectly last year. He is what he is and Sheridan tried to fit a square peg in a round hole (well actually he seemed to do this with most of the D).

Oh, you're absolutely right...CC Brown is a perfect fit to play left bench. Sheridan made the mistake of putting him on the field.