SportsWrath

A win

xxi-xxv

I'm very happy for a win. Haynesworth had me worried before the game. There were a couple of 'ah shit' moments, but overall a solid game. Not flashy, no 'I luvs me sum me' chest pounding, and everyone showed up to play. If they could just play this steady all season long. I luvs me sum Geeeeeeeeeee-men. :giants:

It's a win against a divisional rival and I'll take it. BUT, we still find a way to dominate the game without reaping the rewards on the scoreboard! Much of it can be traced to our God-awful short yardage plays. If we could convert 3rd & 1, 4th & 1 (or less), this game could have been broken open early. In the 1st Qtr, we marched up and down the field, while the Redskins ran a total of 6 plays and except for the first Portis run, went nowhere and we only led 3-0. Sooner or later, a team is going to figure a way to move the ball or a fluke play will occur and suddenly, you're trailing a game you're dominating. That's what will happen against better teams if we don't start to cash in in the red zone.

It's a win against a divisional rival and I'll take it. BUT, we still find a way to dominate the game without reaping the rewards on the scoreboard! Much of it can be traced to our God-awful short yardage plays. If we could convert 3rd & 1, 4th & 1 (or less), this game could have been broken open early. In the 1st Qtr, we marched up and down the field, while the Redskins ran a total of 6 plays and except for the first Portis run, went nowhere and we only led 3-0. Sooner or later, a team is going to figure a way to move the ball or a fluke play will occur and suddenly, you're trailing a game you're dominating. That's what will happen against better teams if we don't start to cash in in the red zone.

As long as we have an offensive coordinator who thinks it's a good idea to run a hb sweep right on 3 and 1 when we just had a hb sweep left stuffed on 2nd down which played into the only strength of the opposing team that day, expect more of the same the rest of the season.

i'm glad for the win and some of the positives mentioned but

i am very critical of the lack of green zone production.

the giants must improve in this area. There inability to not

be able to run or pass into the endzone leaves alot of improvement.

Lets hope this gets better as the season moves foward.

:giants:

As long as we have an offensive coordinator who thinks it's a good idea to run a hb sweep right on 3 and 1 when we just had a hb sweep left stuffed on 2nd down which played into the only strength of the opposing team that day, expect more of the same the rest of the season.

This. Gilbride did nothing to win my confidence yesterday. Our red zone efficiency is shameful.

This. Gilbride did nothing to win my confidence yesterday. Our red zone efficiency is shameful.

^ This.

The story of the game was the DEFENSE though. Save for the garbage time TD, the only points the defense allowed was a FG off a fumble deep in Giants territory, and the drive near the end of the half that set up the Hunter Smith fake field goal TD.

The stats look real good defensively, but what I saw is that the Redskins were successful when they executed the 2-minute offense. Before the half and at the end of the game, those were the only two TD's that were given up. This particularly annoys me because they did not cover the spread (by a half point) and I think I'm going to miss my parlay because of it. But really, the Skins got the majority of their yards on those two drives... and they came by way of a lot of short passes and screens. I'd like to see our linebackers make more stops on those plays, and I think we will improve a little in that area once Boley is back.

On offense, the Giants was only 6-13 in 3rd down efficiency, and 0-1 on 4th down. Not numbers I like. I think Boss was under-utilized particularly on those downs. I'm comfortable with Eli throwing the ball a lot in those situations, especially when we are facing a defensive front that has a guy like Albert Haynesworth in the middle. If they go play action on those 3rd or 4th and shorts, there is going to be an open receiver. Eli proved yesterday that he can spread the ball around and as I've been saying, he showed how we will be just fine without Burress.

On offense, the Giants was only 6-13 in 3rd down efficiency, and 0-1 on 4th down. Not numbers I like. I think Boss was under-utilized particularly on those downs. I'm comfortable with Eli throwing the ball a lot in those situations, especially when we are facing a defensive front that has a guy like Albert Haynesworth in the middle. If they go play action on those 3rd or 4th and shorts, there is going to be an open receiver. Eli proved yesterday that he can spread the ball around and as I've been saying, he showed how we will be just fine without Burress.

Agreed.

I didn't realize it until I read about it this morning, but that Manningham play was an audible out of a run play by Eli, who saw an all-out blitz coming. Further, it was something that Manningham picked up at the line.

The fact that Eli read the play, and Manningham adjusted accordingly, is a very good sign.

Hoo hum.. its how we do it. Run the ball a little, play some defense, hit your hard...oh and it seems the Wr's and Te do know how to catch the ball.

Giants football at it best. Boring, nondescript and tough....exactly how I like it thumbsup.gif

Yeah they do know how to catch except that Nicks kid who is supposed to have the best hands of any human ever put on planet earth,I am just saying

Yeah they do know how to catch except that Nicks kid who is supposed to have the best hands of any human ever put on planet earth,I am just saying

Those huge mitts are going to catch a lot of passes from Eli before it's all over. I think we can give him a mulligan for his first real NFL game where the nerves were probably going pretty wild. Bottom line is that despite that one drop, Nicks' hands are a tremendous asset... he's a special player.