SportsWrath

rumor time

so-cal dub

If this rumoured trade were to happen, my money would be on Hixon being the WR traded (with Manningham by second choice)

Hixon has had plenty of opportunity to be the guy, and hasn't quite gotten it don (but has shown flashes)

you have to consider that

• Edwards provides great experience and will draw extra attention
  • Smith is a great slot WR and had excellent rapport with Eli
  • Nicks and Barden represent the future direction at WR
  • Manningham is pushing for playing time, has the speed and seems to be the return option
  • Hixon is off contract after the season

reasons to keep Hixon include proven performance at #2 and #3 WR and big play special teams ability

If this rumoured trade were to happen, my money would be on Hixon being the WR traded (with Manningham by second choice)

Hixon has had plenty of opportunity to be the guy, and hasn't quite gotten it don (but has shown flashes)

you have to consider that

• Edwards provides great experience and will draw extra attention
  • Smith is a great slot WR and had excellent rapport with Eli
  • Nicks and Barden represent the future direction at WR
  • Manningham is pushing for playing time, has the speed and seems to be the return option
  • Hixon is off contract after the season

reasons to keep Hixon include proven performance at #2 and #3 WR and big play special teams ability

and maybe thats why him and Ware are fielding kicks instead of Hixon.

Edwards would take a some time to fully work into our playbook

but he is experienced, particularly with the deeper routes and does get deep and has plenty of big play ability.

Edwards would immediately help stretch the field

He would also take alot of pressure off our young WRs and just let them focus on playing.

If you are a defense, do you cover Edwards deep, who know can make the big play or do you put 8 men in the box to cover the cover the power RB trio with who you know will punish you in the ground game.

8 men in the box and double coverage on edwards leaves 1 defender for the TE and/or the #2/3 WRs (who can also get deep)

I could see some nasty play action passing options and some seriously big plays

covering Edwards and the WRs deep would open up shorter opportunities in the passing game for our TEs, RBs and FB

Edwards would take a some time to fully work into our playbook

but he is experienced, particularly with the deeper routes and does get deep and has plenty of big play ability.

Edwards would immediately help stretch the field

He would also take alot of pressure off our young WRs and just let them focus on playing.

If you are a defense, do you cover Edwards deep, who know can make the big play or do you put 8 men in the box to cover the cover the power RB trio with who you know will punish you in the ground game.

8 men in the box and double coverage on edwards leaves 1 defender for the TE and/or the #2/3 WRs (who can also get deep)

I could see some nasty play action passing options and some seriously big plays

covering Edwards and the WRs deep would open up shorter opportunities in the passing game for our TEs, RBs and FB

There's no doubt Edwards is a perfect fit for our offense. Additionally, the acquisition of him would scare the pants of the egirls fans. I would be more than nice to see Edwards, Nicks, and either Smith or Manningham on the field at the same time.

The downside is that Eli and Braylon would have to play catchup to get their timing down.

This would appear be a three way deal involving the Giants, the Browns, and the Broncos with

1. Denver sending Brandon Marshall to Cleveland
  2. Cleveland sending Derek Anderson to Denver
  3. Cleveland sending Braylon Edwards to New York
  4. Giants sending a young WR plus a draft pick to Cleveland.

Dont forget that Moss seems to be on the outer and is a very similar style of player to Eddie Royal (who has had a lot of success in Denver)

Plus we have one good LB who will be cut

The starters (Pierce, Clark and Boley) are roster locks as are Sintim, Kehl and DeOssie; meaning Wilkinson, Goff or Kehl will almost certainly be a roster cut and they all have ability. Wilkinson is also off contract after the season

We could sweeten the deal with perhaps somehting like (assuming we trade Hixon..)

1. Denver sending WR Brandon Marshall to Cleveland
  2. Cleveland sending QB Derek Anderson to Denver
  3. Cleveland sending WR Braylon Edwards to New York
  4. Giants sending LB Gerris Wilkinson, WR Domenik Hixon plus a 2010 2nd/3rd draft pick to Cleveland.
  5. Giants sending WR Sinorice Moss to Denver.

Cleveland would get WR Brandon Marshall , LB Gerris Wilkinson, WR Domenik Hixon plus Giants 2010 2nd/3rd draft pick

Denver gets QB Derek Alexander, WR Sinorice Moss

Giants get WR Braylon Edwards

our WR group would still be very strong: Edwards, Smith, Manningham, Nicks, Barden, Hagan/Tyree

The downside is that Eli and Braylon would have to play catchup to get their timing down.

That is true, but use him on deeper routes such as go routes.

either he will be wide open, double covered or covered one on one (in which case eli just needs to get it into the area and let Edwards make the play on the ball, which he is very good at.

if we were to get Edwards, we just need to keep it reasonably simple and add wrinkles later as he digests the playbook.

Already Edwards is having to adpat to two QBs with very different throwing styles and arm strengths, I think he would do ok.

Here is a question for those X;'s and O's experts. How different is what Edwards does/has done in the Browns passing attack compared to what we ask our #1 WR to do? There seems to be alot of similarities.

If this new cow dung has even a semblance of truth to it...

Then I dont mind parting with any of our WRs and a pick to get Braylon Edwards. The Giants dont have a very big window. We have won it once. If we are to do it a couple times more then we need Edwards NOW! No point in speculating about which of our WRs is the real deal or the next big stud or the big kahuna etc etc.

Get Edwards, get him now - I dont care if they part with anybody from our current WR core and a draftpick (not the 1st through)

I'm sorry...I hate to be the party pooper in crowd. But how the hell are we going to afford it this trade? Lets not forget the Edwards wants to be paid 10 mil a year. we just gave Eli a 100 mil contract...How can we afford Edwards?

I'm sorry...I hate to be the party pooper in crowd. But how the hell are we going to afford it this trade? Lets not forget the Edwards wants to be paid 10 mil a year. we just gave Eli a 100 mil contract...How can we afford Edwards?

Edwards is only being paid $4.55 million this season. No matter what deal we make, about half a million will be offset by the receiver we send. With roster cuts, we can defer a little more. I don't think Edwards' salary for this season would be the issue. If we sign him to an extension, they can certainly craft the contract so that money is deferred. There is a real possibility of a no cap year next year, too. This can definitely work.

if you were willing to trade your one for edwards, you'd have to be willing to trade nicks for edwards now. he hasn't done anything significant to raise his value except sign a contract.

Honestly, I'm much more comfortable with Nicks as the second receiver than Smith. Smith has done great things, but his niche is at the slot. nicks is a genuine outside guy it appears.

Not saying it's a no deal if a potential trade was involved Nicks, but I am adamantly against trading a 1st or second round pick PLUS Nicks. Might go along wityh Smith and a second to get Edwards.

Honestly, I'm much more comfortable with Nicks as the second receiver than Smith. Smith has done great things, but his niche is at the slot. nicks is a genuine outside guy it appears.

Not saying it's a no deal if a potential trade was involved Nicks, but I am adamantly against trading a 1st or second round pick PLUS Nicks. Might go along wityh Smith and a second to get Edwards.

I highly doubt Reese would include Nicks anyway. More than likely this is a deal that would get done with either Smith or Manningham. I would say Hixon, but I think that either the Broncos or Browns (whoever gets the receiver we give up) will want one of those two guys over Hixon, and I can't see either of them holding up this deal.

Firstly Eli's new deal did not increase his 2009 cap number, it actually went down a little.

The Giants already had a healthy salary cap room in reserve (estimated at $4.8m by inside football at 1 May).

Considering the top contracts are already allocated against the cap, to sign Edwards to his current $4.55million contract would cost around $4m in cap room.

I can't see Edwards getting more money tham Roddy White or Greg Jennings

Roddy White's six-year, $48 million deal has a cap numbers of

Cap charges: $8,113,530 (2009), $7.8 million (2010), $6.525 million (2011), $8.025 million (2012), $9.125 million (2013), $6.325 million (2014).

Greg Jennings' four-year, $26.885 million deal has a cap numers of :

Cap charges: $8.154 million (2009), $5.004 million (2010), $5.854 million (2011), $7.039 million (2012).

Note both are front loaded to some extent, rthat doesn't have to be the case.

With the kind of deal Edwards would get, there is plenty of scope to be very creative. Kevin Abrams and Jerry Reese are very good at working contracts (imho they are the best in the biz at managing the cap). To sign edwards would take a little work, but is very possible.

the other option is to let Edwards play under his current deal and show what he has. if there is no new CBA he will not be a free agent, if there is we have the option of the franchise tag.

Don't forget we will create some additional depending on the final roster cuts as we trim to the 53 man roster. (eg cutting Tyree alone will save 500k against this year's cap and $1m against next year's cap)

We also have options such as extending contracts; for example if we simply convert Pierce's 2009 base salary into the signing bonus for a 2 year extension, we would save around $3.3m against this year's cap.

Other guys that could have deals reworked are Umenyiora, McKenzie and Robbins

Options certainly exist cap wise should we want to make something happen. If we want to, we could make this deal happen.

These kinds of deals dont happen that often. 3 way trading.

Not saying impossible but they are the exception.

As far as taking Edwards I think the Giants may already have what

we need if we be patient. If the deal did go down I would not be

against it mind you as long as no #1 pick were given up.

Manningham and Smith have more value to other teams than Hixon and I don't see us giving up Smith. These things never seem to happen but I'd do the deal with Manningham in a heartbeat. An added benefit would be that if Hixon goes back to being #3 or 4 receiver, he'd also go back to returning kicks and he's by far the best we have at that.

I'm not down with it, honestly.

Edwards has ONE good season and led the league in drops last year. We already have cheaper receivers that can lead the league in drops.

If we offered Manningham, Hagan, or Moss + a 3rd, I'd consider it. If they want any other receiver, the answer should be "no."

I'm not down with it, honestly.

Edwards has ONE good season and led the league in drops last year. We already have cheaper receivers that can lead the league in drops.

If we offered Manningham, Hagan, or Moss + a 3rd, I'd consider it. If they want any other receiver, the answer should be "no."

giving away Smith - hixon - nicks or barden No!!!

The others you mention would have to be envloved in the trade or pass.