SportsWrath

rumor time

so-cal dub

There has been talk of a three way deal involving the Giants, the Browns, and the Broncos.

Marshall to Cleveland, Anderson to Denver, and a Giants' WR plus a draft pick for Braylon Edwards.

Don't shoot the messenger.

There has been talk of a three way deal involving the Giants, the Browns, and the Broncos.

Marshall to Cleveland, Anderson to Denver, and a Giants' WR plus a draft pick for Braylon Edwards.

Okay, so you're the messenger, who or what gave you the package?

Where'd you hear this?

I don't see the Browns trading for Marshall. That's throwing out the car to bring in the lion.

For us, the receiver to go would be either Smith or Nicks. Hate to trade Smith, but would feel better having Nicks, hate to trade Nicks just because I wanna see what he has. But, I'd be willing to part with either receiver to bring Edwards in, providing the draft pick isn't a first.

Let me get this straight... In this deal, is that Derek Anderson to Denver? Who gets the WR and draft pick from the Giants?

For Cleveland, I don't know how they would just go 1 for 1 by giving up Edwards and getting Marshall. Marshall is a head case with contract issues. Edwards just has contract issues.

From Denver's perspective, it seems like a great deal... especially if they get a draft pick and someone like Steve Smith. I would guess that the Giants would split the draft pick and Steve Smith between Cleveland and Denver.

I think this could actually work.

Notice how I am saying Steve Smith and not Hakeem Nicks. I love me some Steve... but Hakeem is a future star in my opinion.

If it's Hakeem or no deal, I say no deal.

if you were willing to trade your one for edwards, you'd have to be willing to trade nicks for edwards now. he hasn't done anything significant to raise his value except sign a contract.

I'd have to go back and look, but at the time I'm not sure I was in favor of dealing the one.

Either way, prior to picking the draft pick, there is an unknown on who will be available at that spot. Once Nicks was our pick, then that uncertainty disappeared, and him representing that first round draft choice therefore makes it more valuable by the elimination of the risk that the player you want will not be at your draft position.

I think we are sitting pretty with a guy like Nicks, and I don't feel that dealing him and another pick is warranted for Edwards because of Nicks' contract and high ceiling. Edwards will require a new, massive deal.

well that's a convoluted answer. i could easily argue that a draft pick is more valuable than the actual player- kind of like once you drive a car out of the showroom...

a receiver of edwards stature is our ticket to miami. i can't see how this is not obvious. NFL is a win now league.

and the reason he will get a massive deal is because he is massively good.

well that's a convoluted answer. i could easily argue that a draft pick is more valuable than the actual player- kind of like once you drive a car out of the showroom...

a receiver of edwards stature is our ticket to miami. i can't see how this is not obvious. NFL is a win now league.

and the reason he will get a massive deal is because he is massively good.

I don't think the car-showroom analogy fits. An undrafted pick has uncertainty attached to it. You don't know if your player or players you are targeting will be available to you at that position.

Hypothetically, say Reese's first choice for that pick was Nicks prior to the draft, and he did not rate any of the other receivers as first round quality. By dealing the pick for a top receiver, he guarantees that he gets a game changing receiver.

However, instead, his pick falls to him and he selects him. Since it was his guy, that pick is now worth more to him, because the uncertainty of who would be there is removed.

If you are convinced that you have a star receiver in Nicks (as I am) at a bargain contract (5 years, $12.54 million, $6.5 million bonus) then it becomes harder to deal him, plus another pick, for another star receiver who must be signed at a premium price.

You feel that Edwards will help us win now. I feel that he would also, but believe that Nicks could do the same at a much cheaper price.

Let me get this straight... In this deal, is that Derek Anderson to Denver? Who gets the WR and draft pick from the Giants?

At first i read it as Marshall to cleveland, anderson to denver and (I assumed) a giants WR + a draft pick to cleveland, but then I wondered what the denver trade had to do with it.

Maybe it's marshall to cleveland for edwards and anderson with denver getting a giants WR + pick for edwards?

I thought I understood it, but your post made me take a 2nd look. Plus, I haven't been able to find any source to verify this.

At first i read it as Marshall to cleveland, anderson to denver and (I assumed) a giants WR + a draft pick to cleveland, but then I wondered what the denver trade had to do with it.

Maybe it's marshall to cleveland for edwards and anderson with denver getting a giants WR + pick for edwards?

I thought I understood it, but your post made me take a 2nd look. Plus, I haven't been able to find any source to verify this.

Thanks. I think it makes the most sense if it is this:

Giants gets: Braylon Edwards

Browns gets: Brandon Marshall, NYG Draft Pick

Denver gets: Derek Anderson, Steve Smith

I wouldn't mind that deal at all.

This would appear be a three way deal involving the Giants, the Browns, and the Broncos with

1. Denver sending Brandon Marshall to Cleveland
  2. Cleveland sending Derek Anderson to Denver
  3. Cleveland sending Braylon Edwards to New York
  4. Giants sending a young WR plus a draft pick to Cleveland.

That trade would make sense. for each team

• Denver gets a strong armed franchise QB and gets rid of a headache WR
  • Cleveland avoids paying Edwards and Anderson, get a 2 talented WR (which they really need), a draft pick next year and avoiding a looming QB controversy all season (yet again).
  • The Giants get an experienced #1 receiver to compliment our good young WR base.

If this is legitimate, then the Giants front office are clearly are not happy with our current crop of receivers and where that are at; this is very possible/understandable considering the opportunities our WRs missed in the Jets game.

If we included a receiver, it will be Hixon, Smith, or Manningham as the other Moss/Tyree/Hagan have little or no trade value and the rookies are keepers. I really like all three, but we also have Nicks and Barden, so we have plebty of depth and with Edwards we still have 5 talented WRs + Moss/Hagan/Tyree. so a good young WR is expendable.

My guess is that Edwards asking price has dropped (why we didn't do it in april) , so perhaps it will be a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick plus Hixon, Smith or Manningham.

All in all, this rumoured trade makes enough sense that it could be in the works, particularly with the timing involved regarding roster cuts. whether or not it happens remains to be seen.

This would appear be a three way deal involving the Giants, the Browns, and the Broncos with

1. Denver sending Brandon Marshall to Cleveland
  2. Cleveland sending Derek Anderson to Denver
  3. Cleveland sending Braylon Edwards to New York
  4. Giants sending a young WR plus a draft pick to Cleveland.

That trade would make sense. for each team

• Denver gets a good QB and gets rid of a headache WR
  • Cleveland avoids paying Edwards and Anderson, get a 2 talented WR (which they really need), avoid a QB controversy and a draft pick next year.
  • The Giants get an experienced #1 receiver to compliment our good young WR base.

If this is legitimate, then the Giants front office are clearly are not happy with our current crop of receivers and where that are at; this is very possible/understandable considering the opportunities our WRs missed in the Jets game.

If we included a receiver, it will be Hixon, Smith, or Manningham as the other Moss/Tyree/Hagan have little or no trade value and the rookies are keepers. I really like all three, but we also have Nicks and Barden, so we have plebty of depth and with Edwards we still have 5 talented WRs + Moss/Hgan/Tyree. so a good young WR is expendable.

My guess is that Edwards asking price has dropped (why we didn't do it in april) , so perhaps it will be a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick plus Hixon, Smith or Manningham.

All in all, this rumoured trade makes enough sense that it could be in the works, particularly with the timing involved regarding roster cuts

Anyone with a link to this stuff? This is great stuff, btw. I would love to see Edwards in here for any one of the three of Hixon, Smith, or Manningham. Get it done, Reese, you IMGRATE! Seriously, if they did this deal I'd wet myself with excitement.

Thanks. I think it makes the most sense if it is this:

Giants gets: Braylon Edwards

Browns gets: Brandon Marshall, NYG Draft Pick

Denver gets: Derek Anderson, Steve Smith

I wouldn't mind that deal at all.

Really?

I assumed the deal would have started with Denver as they'd be looking to dump Marshall. So they would trade Marshall to Cleveland for Edwards, then deal Edwards to the Giants for a WR and a pick. Plus they just got Kyle Orton for Cutler, so why Anderson? I don't know, I am confused, but your deal does look good, I wouldn't mind that either regardless of how they got there.

For you wanting to know where it came from, ask JR. He's in on it too....

Seriously, it came from another site from a creditable guy who has creditable connections.

I didnt make it up if you dont believe me.

Nah for him to make this remark, there has to be some legs to it. I don't like the guy so much but he does have some creditability.

Really?

I assumed the deal would have started with Denver as they'd be looking to dump Marshall. So they would trade Marshall to Cleveland for Edwards, then deal Edwards to the Giants for a WR and a pick. Plus they just got Kyle Orton for Cutler, so why Anderson? I don't know, I am confused, but your deal does look good, I wouldn't mind that either regardless of how they got there.

Well, Einstein, maybe you should read the posts made while you were posting.

I dont want to see Nicks or Manningham go. Manningham looks like he is coming into his own. Has a high ceiling and seems to be progressing steadily. Nicks, well he's our #1 pick...That would be like trading that spot for Edwards plus the conditional pick. Everyone else is free to leave IMHO, which sucks becasue I have an authentic Smith, but Id rather win a championship than sport the players jersey.

Really?

They may not be sold on Orton. If I were them I would trade Marshall for the best draft picks I could get, let the youngin's play, and try to be in position for Sam Bradford or Colt McCoy in next year's draft. Those two guys are going to be unbelievable QB's in the NFL.

Anywho, I would think Denver would want a pick also besides Derek Anderson for Brandon Marshall.

I dont want to see Nicks or Manningham go. Manningham looks like he is coming into his own. Has a high ceiling and seems to be progressing steadily. Nicks, well he's our #1 pick...That would be like trading that spot for Edwards plus the conditional pick. Everyone else is free to leave IMHO, which sucks becasue I have an authentic Smith, but Id rather win a championship than sport the players jersey.

I like Manningham and would prefer him to stay as well, but to get Edwards I wouldn't have a problem with moving him.

Anyone with a link to this stuff? This is great stuff, btw. I would love to see Edwards in here for any one of the three of Hixon, Smith, or Manningham. Get it done, Reese, you IMGRATE! Seriously, if they did this deal I'd wet myself with excitement.

Here is the BBI link

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=346438&show_all=1

it is also coming from several credible/reliable sources on various forums, though I don't know all the original sources, bbi seems to be one.

We will just have to wait and see what happens