SportsWrath

Why you should watch Giants-Bears tonight

jranieli

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2009/08/why-you-should-watch-giants-be.html

August 22, 2009

Why you should watch Giants-Bears tonight

The Giants can’t offer any curiousities tonight like an aging Brett Favre or a scoreboard so low punters can hit it (and by the way, about that … Ha!), but there are still a few reasons why you should tune in to tonight’s preseason game between the Giants and the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field in Chicago.

(You know, if you really can’t think of anything better to do).

1.We still know nothing about the receivers.

OK, maybe not nothing, but their performance in the Giants’ preseason opener on Monday was hardly clarifying. With an offense dominated by runs and short passes, no receiver caught more than two passes and as a result nobody emerged to seize any spot in the six- or seven-man rotation. That should change tonight, mostly because Tom Coughlin promised it would. He said it “obviously it’s an objective this week” to find out what the receivers can do.

With Eli Manning and the starting offensive line expected to play into the second quarter, those receivers will get more of a chance, too. And not just presumed starters, Domenik Hixon and Steve Smith. This will be the first time Mario Manningham and Sinorice Moss get to really battle it out in live action for that third-receiver job. It should be the first time we get a good look at what Ramses Barden can actually do in a game. And then there’s Hakeem Nicks, who said he’s over his hamstring injury and ready to finally show everyone what he can do.

2.Don’t you want to see if Clint Sintim can do it again?

It was a pretty impressive debut for the rookie linebacker and second-round pick. He had a sack, a forced fumble, four quarterback hits, and constant pressure on the Carolina quarterbacks. Was it a mirage? A product of playing against backup linemen? Or is this kid for real? He’s definitely got good speed and the Giants have planned all along to use him as a situational pass-rusher. One more performance like that and he’s going to have a lot of people very excited, both outside and inside the organization.

Another thing to watch with Sintim: How does he do against the run? And how often does he line up back “in the box” as opposed to on the line of scrimmage? The better he does the former and the more he does the latter could provide clues as to how much time he realistically could take away from strong side linebacker Danny Clark in the regular defense.

3.Somebody on the second- and third-team offensive line needs to prove he can play.

The first game provided no indication that anyone can. OK, that’s not really fair. There were flashes. And after a rough start, I thought rookie LT Will Beatty held his own. But overall, once the starters were out of there, it was rough going for the backup quarterbacks. David Carr, who probably leaves the pocket too early anyway, often looked like he was on the run from the moment he got the snap. And Andre’ Woodson’s awful performance had a lot to do with the fact that he got little or no protection and no plays had any time to develop.

This may not seem like a huge issue, but guards Chris Snee (knee) and Rich Seubert (shoulder) have already battled injuries this summer, and RT Kareem McKenzie had back trouble last year (and a little flare up of it already in camp). With veteran lineman Grey Ruegamer not resigned, this is a little issue that could prove big down the road.

4.Ahmad Bradshaw still needs to do more.

That was a nice performance in the opener and he sure showed flashes of why some in the Giants organization think he’s better than Derrick Ward. But he still needs to take more of a pounding to get used to the pounding he’ll take in the regular season. And I think he needs to do more earlier. It’s one thing to get defenders off balance right after Brandon Jacobs has put them on their heels. But how will he do when he doesn’t have the big fella to set things up for him? Jacobs will play tonight, so we won’t know for sure, but Bradshaw could use an extended look as the sole man in the backfield. Let’s see him when the defenders are geared only for him. Let’s see if he can create the running room that so many people think he can. He’s got the skills. But the more time in preseason he gets to flash them, the more comfortable everyone will be with the new “Earth and Fire” backfield tandem.

5.Can Lawrence Tynes do anything to get you guys off his back?

Never mind. I know the answer to that. Most of us are willing to give him a pass for that opening miss on Monday night, especially since he’s been pretty good all summer and had battled a groin strain for most of last week. But it certainly did nothing to ease the fears of his detractors. A clean game - making all his PATs and hitting two or three field goals - won’t change the impression some people have of him. But another miss could end up making him a storyline next week and turning up the heat on him in the Jets game. The Giants have a lot of depth at most positions and probably have the talent to, at the very least, compete for the NFC East title. The last thing they want to do is head into the regular season with uncertainty at kicker. I don’t think they have that at the moment. But no more misses the rest of the preseason would go along way towards proving that to be true.

here in binghamton it will be on nbc

hmmm maybe i misread the guide....because i think i'm in that broadcasting area....whatever it was, it was channel 4

Normally, it is NBC for preseason so that would make sense.

ill be able to find you a link by gametime.

Sweet, thanks Pdub. Socal gave me a site, and someone else mentioned justintv.com. Worse comes to worse, I'll watch it on NFL network. But you guys cant talk about it till I see it tomorrow. :P

nah storm youre right, its abc

I thought it was weird when I saw it on my guide though, I know normally NBC has coverage and Harry Carson is doing on the field interviews and such...

channelsurfing.net will probably be your best bet

Vegasbunniebrowneye has left me a message on there, even though I'm not a member. From the looks of her pic on the pop-up, I can't wait to meet her and impale her browneye.

Vegasbunniebrowneye has left me a message on there, even though I'm not a member. From the looks of her pic on the pop-up, I can't wait to meet her and impale her browneye.

I bet babygurl2009 has bigger tits than vegasbunniebrowneye. She messaged me.

I thought it was weird when I saw it on my guide though, I know normally NBC has coverage and Harry Carson is doing on the field interviews and such...

Im so fuckin jealous.....you get Harry Carson doing interviews and shit? Man, I miss NY. Theyre in love with Buck and Aikman out here. :mad:

Im so fuckin jealous.....you get Harry Carson doing interviews and shit? Man, I miss NY. Theyre in love with Buck and Aikman out here. :mad:

Yah, it's only for preseason coverage though...