SportsWrath

Domenik Hixon interview

Mr. P

Preach it :worshippy:

No, dude. Steve Smith is the best full WR on this team right now. And it will be Nicks and Smith, I put theoretical money on it.

What plays do you speak of that he made? I remember him NOT making a lot of plays.

Last year, Giants tight ends coach Michael Pope talked about how rejuvenating it was for a veteran coach to have to work with a bunch of young guys and get them ready to play immediately.

Now, it's wide receivers coach Mike Sullivan's turn.

"It is kind of energizing because they bring a lot of extra energy, motivation and enthusiasm," Sullivan said Tuesday as the players continued their off-season workouts. "That's something I'll feed off of and hopefully they'll feed off my enthusiasm as well."

Here's more from Sullivan:

On Amani Toomer and Plaxico Burress: "I want to recognize and commend both Amani and Plaxico. It was wonderful to work with both of those men. I wish them the best. Amani Toomer obviously the all-time leading receiver in Giants history. Classy, consistent performer who played a key role in us winning the Super Bowl. I wish him well as he works to find a home. Of course, Plaxico and I have a very close relationship both professionally and personally. He's going through a great deal right now and I wish the best for him and his family first and foremost to get through this and then hopefully he'll be able to get back out on the field and be the dynamic playmaker he was."

On Mario Manningham: "He's really shown a tremendous work ethic, meeting with me, meeting with Sean Ryan, our offensive assistant, going over the plays, getting himself prepared, spending some extra time, so I think he's definitely champing at the bit to get out there and show what he can do both mentally and physically."

On the leadership lost with Burress and Toomer gone: "That's a great question because you look at a lot of years of experience both with Amani and Plaxico who had great success. Guys can look to them and see the way they're doing it -- not just from how to run a route or catch a ball but also from a work ethic and preparation standpoint. I think it's really going to be a challenge to a David Tyree, who's a seasoned veteran and is now the senior member of this group. It's an opportunity for Domenik Hixon and Steve Smith -- guys that don't have the years but have certainly played in some big games. Those are guys who were on the field and part of this team that won the world championship. That doesn't give them the years, but it does give them an added amount of credibility because they know what it takes and they've seen it and been exposed to what it takes to be successful at the highest level."

On whether Hixon will benefit from more time being a starter in practice: "I think so. I think Domenik's performance and the things he did last fall really speak for themselves in terms of him not just stepping up and filling the void but making plays and doing some very good things. There were some injuries and things that set him back that, of course, any team at that time of the season when it becomes crunch time is going to have some guys who are slowed by injuries and he was no different. But I think for him to really have this opportunity to focus on that role and get those reps and if he can stay healthy, I think he does have great potential."

On Smith playing inside and outside: "Steve is primarily someone who primarily has had great success inside as the slot receiver and in a sense has been kind of cast in that mold. He's certainly one of the best in the game as an inside slot receiver. But I think when you look at some of the things he's able to do outside -- the patience in his route running, the quickness, being a very smart player and someone that has shown great commitment this off-season in trying to really get excited about that opportunity. He's very excited about the challenge of saying, 'Hey I can be a legitimate outside receiver. I can be a Z and not always somebody who's inside.' ... He does have a legitimate chance to be someone we can count on, not just inside but outside as well."

On Smith's YAC: "That is the number and ... ball security."

On how they'll determine which receivers will play where: "As a coach you have ideas and inclinations about where someone might best be suited -- inside our outside. Between injuries or different things that occur, just trying to get the best match, trying to get the best players on the field, ultimately guys can't just be locked into that one position. They would help themselves get more playing time and they would help our team if they could learn other positions. But that's the challenge, that's the tough part of the job - to be able to get these young men in a position where they may be comfortable at a certain position and be able to have some success, but all of a sudden there's an injury or a matchup or something's not quite right on the other side of the formation and being able to roll over. What we try to do during the spring is not pigeonhole guys per se in one of the positions. We hope during the spring and the June camp to move guys around a little bit. It might not be comfortable for them initially, but at least they get exposed and we have an idea to see where they could have the most success and be able to help us. We have ideas, but at this time of the year, we need to kind of mix it around a little bit, just to be able to come up with the best possible group that's going to give us success."

MG

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/05...eceivers_2.html

THANK YOU!

Did everyone watch the same Hixon as us last year?

If a player doesn't step up when put in a role, no matter how difficult a role may be, you do not reward him with the starting position. Right now, all of our WRs should be on about an equal playing field right now with everyone having the same chance to start...

With that being said, I project the depth chart at WR to look like this(not that I have any say or am any kind of expert, simply my opinion based on who I think is the most talented and gives us the best chance to win), Nicks, Smith, Hixon, Barden, Manningham. I changed it up.

You're being illogical. Hixon was asked to step up to a role he doesn't have the physical attributes to fill. In fact, about 99% of the league cannot fill that role. If you were looking at his play objectively, on a team without a single threat in the passing game, you would agree with WR coach Sullivan that there were certainly some bright spots and promising play from Hixon. Hixon made some big plays last year. Yeah there were some huge plays he missed, but that happens to everyone. There were also a lot of plays that saw him wide open deep, but Manning on his back or running for his life.

Hell, his special teams ability alone makes the guy good, but the fact is he's a great specials guy who's also a talented wr. When there's a recieving threat to play opposite him he will make a lot more plays for us.

The problem with Smith starting over Hixon is Smith cannot stretch the field. He's great at finding the open zone, or running a crisp route to elude his man, and he's got good hands. But if he cannot stretch the field, he's more of a 3rd/possession type wr.

I believe that when you look at our wide receiver depth chart right now, Steve Smith is our #1 wide receiver and our #1 option, doesn't matter if he mainly operates in the slot.. Hixon is 2, however I'd be very disappointed if Manningham or Nicks haven't moved him out of that slot before year end. Hixon is a nice complimentary receiver, but I don't ever see him as a main option in the future. he's a guy who has the ability to make the catch if the defense is concentrating on the other 2 receivers in a 3 Wideout set. That's a good thing to have.

But let's look at this overall. It would be nice to have a top receiver like Edwards/Boldin, and I wouldn't be against it at all. But if we don't get him, look at our options. You have 4-5 capable receivers as is. You have Boss who has excellent hands and is a huge target. You have 2 guys in this draft that could be good weapons in Travis Beckham and ramses barden. On top of that, with Jacobs, you flat out have to honor his presence which affects the way you line up against us. We really should be able to move the ball this year.

Plus if Madison Hedgecock catches one pass this year, then we're lethal!!

You're being illogical. Hixon was asked to step up to a role he doesn't have the physical attributes to fill. In fact, about 99% of the league cannot fill that role. If you were looking at his play objectively, on a team without a single threat in the passing game, you would agree with WR coach Sullivan that there were certainly some bright spots and promising play from Hixon. Hixon made some big plays last year. Yeah there were some huge plays he missed, but that happens to everyone. There were also a lot of plays that saw him wide open deep, but Manning on his back or running for his life.

Hell, his special teams ability alone makes the guy good, but the fact is he's a great specials guy who's also a talented wr. When there's a recieving threat to play opposite him he will make a lot more plays for us.

The problem with Smith starting over Hixon is Smith cannot stretch the field. He's great at finding the open zone, or running a crisp route to elude his man, and he's got good hands. But if he cannot stretch the field, he's more of a 3rd/possession type wr.

Illogical because I'm looking for far more production from a NUMBER ONE WR?

I like my sure handed, possession WR to be number 2. The third WR can stretch the field(and in Hixon's case, not be able to even catch deep balls).

...I know it was a little while ago too, but... the first year Plax was here? He dropped a couple of sure TDs too.

And I think he lead the league in drops during our superbowl year.

Illogical because I'm looking for far more production from a NUMBER ONE WR?

I like my sure handed, possession WR to be number 2. The third WR can stretch the field(and in Hixon's case, not be able to even catch deep balls).

Hixon wasn't the only wr late in the year who was having problems beating single coverage.

Hixon has shown at times to have good hands, and I've only seen him drop 2 deep balls.

I've seen Plax drop more than that.

Your way would make it a bit easier to defend the run and deep ball.

Hixon wasn't the only wr late in the year who was having problems beating single coverage.

Hixon has shown at times to have good hands, and I've only seen him drop 2 deep balls.

I've seen Plax drop more than that.

Your way would make it a bit easier to defend the run and deep ball.

He was one of the only STARTING #1 WRs in the league having problems beating single coverage.

And, I bet Owens and Edwards dropped more passes the year we won the SB than Burress did...I looked for a link for that stat but I can't find one...if anyone else can, please do, I'd be interested in seeing that...

He was one of the only STARTING #1 WRs in the league having problems beating single coverage.

And, I bet Owens and Edwards dropped more passes the year we won the SB than Burress did...I looked for a link for that stat but I can't find one...if anyone else can, please do, I'd be interested in seeing that...

I think Plax dropped more then T.O

But Edwards dropped more then Plax.

I think Plax dropped more then T.O

But Edwards dropped more then Plax.

and the thing those players have in common is that they are excellent WR's with amazing skill and physical ability....they get thrown the ball a lot more.

Yes. And he was our number one because our original shot himself in the leg like a dumb shit, not because he was hired for the job. He was thrust into a job he didn't have the skills to do. No one on our team had the skills to do, actually.

If someone is telling you Hixon should be our number one, it is not me.

Yes. And he was our number one because our original shot himself in the leg like a dumb shit, not because he was hired for the job. He was thrust into a job he didn't have the skills to do. No one on our team had the skills to do, actually.

If someone is telling you Hixon should be our number one, it is not me.

alright...i thought you were a Hixon-for-starter-in-09 sympathizer, lol.

Don't get me wrong, Hixon definitely was thrust into a difficult position. This should not mean he's the starter in 09. Especially when we have extremely more talented and physically gifted players that we just drafted.

alright...i thought you were a Hixon-for-starter-in-09 sympathizer, lol.

Don't get me wrong, Hixon definitely was thrust into a difficult position. This should not mean he's the starter in 09. Especially when we have extremely more talented and physically gifted players that we just drafted.

I agree completely. From what I saw last year, I think he'll earn a the 2 spot.

Hopefully Nicks at 1, Hixon at 2, Smith at slot, Manningham at 3, Barden in the red-zone..whatever the fuck killdrive wants to do with moss, it better not interfere with them.

I think he'll be #3 an will do well against opposing teams' nickle corners.

Nicks

Smith

Hixon

Barden

Tyree

Manningham (who we've seen less from than even Moss and I'm puzzled as to why others are so high on him)

I think he'll be #3 an will do well against opposing teams' nickle corners.

Nicks

Smith

Hixon

Barden

Tyree

Manningham (who we've seen less from than even Moss and I'm puzzled as to why others are so high on him)

/cheer!

atta boy Tree

I believe that when you look at our wide receiver depth chart right now, Steve Smith is our #1 wide receiver and our #1 option, doesn't matter if he mainly operates in the slot.. Hixon is 2, however I'd be very disappointed if Manningham or Nicks haven't moved him out of that slot before year end. Hixon is a nice complimentary receiver, but I don't ever see him as a main option in the future. he's a guy who has the ability to make the catch if the defense is concentrating on the other 2 receivers in a 3 Wideout set. That's a good thing to have.

But let's look at this overall. It would be nice to have a top receiver like Edwards/Boldin, and I wouldn't be against it at all. But if we don't get him, look at our options. You have 4-5 capable receivers as is. You have Boss who has excellent hands and is a huge target. You have 2 guys in this draft that could be good weapons in Travis Beckham and ramses barden. On top of that, with Jacobs, you flat out have to honor his presence which affects the way you line up against us. We really should be able to move the ball this year.

Plus if Madison Hedgecock catches one pass this year, then we're lethal!!

Madison catches one pass this year we shall have the best luck ever.