SportsWrath

EA could throw a draft day curveball

BigPete

The whole world knows the Giants need a WLB, and many people have locked in a WLB in round 1 for the Giants, but that is not a certainty. Ernie Accorsi could well through a curve ball on draft day.

1. Ernie Accorsi likes taking the 'best player available'. It is very likely that the 'best player available' when we pick is not at a need position, but could be at a key NFL position.

2. Ernie drafts for the future, not immediate needs. (Just look at 2005 having just 4 picks: With both Wills ready to go (at the time we thought

Will P was fine), we drafted Corey Webster; With Strahan and Osi firmly entrenched as starters, we drafted Justin Tuck and Eric Moore)

3. Ernie Accorsi has publically stated that he thinks good LBs can be found in later drafts, he also has a history of drafting LBs later. In the third round, there will be quality WLB propects such as Gerris Wilkerson, Roger McIntosh and Jon Alston

4. This draft is loaded at some positions, there are far too many top players who should be drafted early, but will slip alot due to the incredible amount of genuine talent.

5. Other than WLB, our starters are in place, we have few real needs (assuming we sign Grady jackson, Sam Adams or Brenston Buckner). There are obviously positions we will like to improve, but they are not a genuine need.

Possible Draft Curveballs

note: these are in the mold of 'best player available' and upgrading positions if possible with an eye on the future

Running Back

At #25 there is a good chance that Ernie Sims, Broderick Bunkley and Santonio Homes are already gone. Chad Greenway could well be on the table, but what if a genuine stud RB such as DeAngelo Williams or more likely LenDale White is available?

1. Both Ernie Accorsi and Tom Coughlin know the value of a franchise RB. They both like the power style of football.

2. We have Tiki, but he turns 31 in april. The clock is ticking, father time is going to catch up at some point in the near future.

3. LenDale would be the perfect compliment to and eventual successor for Tiki. LenDale could take some of the load (like he did with Reggie Bush as USC), extending Tiki's career. It also allows Tiki to mentor White and pass on all the benefits of his experience to his successors.

4. LenDale was probably the best goal line/ short yardage runner in college football last year, this will significantly upgrade our short yardage and goal line offense. Brandon Jacobs still has potential to develop, but White is a much better prospect.

Tight End

At #57, the good value LBs, OTs, CBs, and Safeties could well be gone. There is a decent chance that the best player available could be TE Anthony Fasano

1. Jeremy Shockey is our #1 TE, but he has had injury problems. Visanthe Shiacoe despite having a heap of potential, hasn't really brought it all together yet.

2. Both Visanthe Shiancoe and Sean Berton are on 1 year tenders, both will be unrestricted free agents after the 2006 season.

3. Our blocking TE hasn't really been solidified since Dan Campbell left, it is a position we have been looking at options to improve the situation. Unlike Campbell, Fasano is also a legitimate weapon in the passing game.

4. Anthony Fasano is a very good blocker, and a good reciever who can get open underneath. He would be a very good complement to Jeremy Shockey, particularly in our two TE sets. It also may allow Shockey to be open a little more. Many teams have been successfull with two quality TEs.

5. Fasano could compete with Shiancoe for the #2 job, while developing and adjusting to the NFL.

6. Fasano hails from NJ, Ernie Accorsi has always liked bringing in local guys.

I am not saying these are likely picks, but I wouldn't completely discount them either, especially if these guys start slipping on draft day and the more obvious choices for the Giants get drafted

Edited by BigPete

Just want to say now, I believe there is no chance Lendale falls to us. And if he does I suggest we either take him right off the bat or use the fact that a guy like White is available and trade down to say, the Colts spot and obtain numerous picks for him. That's also a scenario.

I feel it's one year too early to draft a RB in the top 2 rounds, unless a guy like White falls that low or other steals fall down.

The only TE I'd want to take is Vernon Davis, and as we know he would not fall down that low. I'd rather trade down or just trade the pick altogether for a future first round pick.

Some interesting scenarios you bring up, but highly doubtful.

Possible Draft Curveballs

note: these are in the mold of 'best player available' and upgrading positions if possible

Running Back

At #25 there is a good chance that Ernie Sims, Broderick Bunkley and Santonio Homes are already gone. Chad Greenway could well be on the table, but what if a genuine stud RB such as DeAngelo Williams or more likely LenDale White is available?

1. Both Ernie Accorsi and Tom Coughlin know the value of a franchise RB. They both like the power style of football.

2. We have Tiki, but he turns 31 in april. The clock is ticking, father time is going to catch up at some point in the near future.

3. LenDale would be the perfect compliment to and eventual successor for Tiki. LenDale could take some of the load (like he did with Reggie Bush as USC), extending Tiki's career. It also allows Tiki to mentor White and pass on all the benefits of his experience to his successors.

4. LenDale was probably the best goal line/ short yardage runner in college football last year, this will significantly upgrade our short yardage and goal line offense. Brandon Jacobs still has potential to develop, but White is a much better prospect.

Tight End

At #57, the good value LBs, OTs, CBs, and Safeties could well be gone. There is a decent chance that the best player available could be TE Anthony Fasano

1. Jeremy Shockey is our #1 TE, but he has had injury problems. Visanthe Shiacoe despite having a heap of potential, hasn't really brought it all together yet.

2. Both Visanthe Shiancoe and Sean Berton are on 1 year tenders, both will be unrestricted free agents after the 2006 season.

3. Our blocking TE hasn't really been solidified, it is a position we have been looking at options to improve the situation.

4. Anthony Fasano is a very good blocker, and a good reciever who can get open underneath. He would be a very good complement to Jeremy Shockey, particularly in our two TE sets. It also may allow Shockey to be open a little more. Many teams have been successfull with two quality TEs.

5. Fasano could compete with Shiancoe for the #2 job, while developing and adjusting to the NFL.

6. Fasano hails from NJ, Ernie Accorsi has always liked bringing in local guys.

I am not saying these are likely picks, but I wouldn't completely discount them either, especially if these guys start slipping on draft day and the more obvious choices for the Giants get drafted

If those two backs (Williams and White) are still left we need to trade out of that spot because there will be a team looking to trade up. If there is no trade request, I still will favor taking Greenway. Its not always just BPA, its BPA while keeping need in the back of your dome. We really need a WLB bad, I just cant see us passing one up unless its Bunkely that so happens to slip.

There are a lot of good TEs in this draft, everytime we pick it will be tempting to take one but we wont. Especially after spending a 3rd on Shaincoe, I think we resign him and he remains the Shockeys back up. Its possible we draft a TE in the 6th or 7th but I think we are fine with Berton.

I am actually in favour of us trading down for an extra pick, but I don't think it will happen.

EA is certainly known for getting players he likes, particularly when they are at positions that are hard to fill and important to the team, such as franchise RB.

It is also worth noting that alot of the teams that need RBs have filled their needs in free agency. Many teams have much bigger needs than at RB, this year they will be able to get a stud talent at a position they need.

Edited by BigPete

I am actully in favour of us trading down for an extra pick, but I don't think it will happen.

EA is certainly known for getting players he likes, particularly when they are at positions that are hard to fill and important to the team, such as franchise RB.

It is also worth noting that alot of the teams that need RBs have filled their needs in free agency. Many teams have much bigger needs than at RB, this year they will be able to get a stud talent at a position they need.

If we cap off this season by signing Lavar and miraculously a guy like Buckner, we should trade the pick for a future first rounder. We should have the deal in place and if a guy like Cromartie is not available at #25, then make the deal happen.

Especially if we have a desperate team like the Bills were to Dallas a couple of years ago.

If those two backs (Williams and White) are still left we need to trade out of that spot because there will be a team looking to trade up. If there is no trade request, I still will favor taking Greenway. Its not always just BPA, its BPA while keeping need in the back of your dome. We really need a WLB bad, I just cant see us passing one up unless its Bunkely that so happens to slip.

There are a lot of good TEs in this draft, everytime we pick it will be tempting to take one but we wont. Especially after spending a 3rd on Shaincoe, I think we resign him and he remains the Shockeys back up. Its possible we draft a TE in the 6th or 7th but I think we are fine with Berton.

Out of the two, I think RB is alot more likely.

There also may be a good RB talent such as Maurice Drew or Brian Calhoun available in the second round

Personally I am all for us drafting a WLB. I guess it depends on just how high EA is on those later LBs

Many Giants fans have locked in a WLB at #25, and are not considering some of the other players that may be available #25. I am just trying to show them that other options are possible, and EA could well draft them.

If we cap off this season by signing Lavar and miraculously a guy like Buckner, we should trade the pick for a future first rounder. We should have the deal in place and if a guy like Cromartie is not available at #25, then make the deal happen.

Especially if we have a desperate team like the Bills were to Dallas a couple of years ago.

What if the Giants signed a solid free agent WLB such as Tommy Polley or even resigned Nick Greisen?

With the depth of quality talent in this year;s draft, teams may be willing to trade up as much

What if the Giants signed a solid free agent WLB such as Tommy Polley or even resigned Nick Greisen?

With the depth of quality talent in this year;s draft, teams may be willing to trade up as much

Basically same thing. I was just throwing out the name Lavar out there because he is obviously the LB that appears to be most coveted by us.

Guest Nutty Sack

If Ernie goes with anything but defense with the first pick than he should be fired on the spot. Are we going to let a RB sit on the bench watching Tiki while we could have had a starter in a defensive position making an impact against the Colts. I think not. You people with your curveball speculation make me sick just thinking of it. Do you realize we have scrubs to play our defensive tackle positions. Did you see our starting linebackers versus the Panthers ?? Embarrasing !!!

I do agree with you however that he may do something as crazy as picking a RB or WR. And if and when he does he will write the final chapter to a string of bad first round choices that we will be saddled with for the forseeable future.

Out of the two, I think RB is alot more likely.

There also may be a good RB talent such as Maurice Drew or Brian Calhoun available in the second round

Personally I am all for us drafting a WLB. I guess it depends on just how high EA is on those later LBs

Many Giants fans have locked in a WLB at #25, and are not considering some of the other players that may be available #25. I am just trying to show them that other options are possible, and EA could well draft them.

You think drafting a RB in the first is more likely then drafting a WLB? Then I strongly disagree and I hope your not basing that off of the quality depth at LB and a qoute from EA the most secretive GM in the NFL. If one thing is for certain in every draft there is always a fair amount of good RBs. Forcing a pick this year would be stupid, especially since we drafted one just last season in the 4th round. If Tiki goes down we are screwed either way, it doesnt matter if we have a 1st round rookie RB back there or not. Tiki has two or three more years left in him and I think Jacobs still has a lot of potential, I wouldnt like drafting a RB even if he is as talented as Williams and White.

I dont think It has anything to do with locking in a WLB as the only option. We are smart people Pete, we understand something could happen that we dont expect to. After all this is the NFL draft.

If Ernie goes with anything but defense with the first pick than he should be fired on the spot. Are we going to let a RB sit on the bench watching Tiki while we could have had a starter in a defensive position making an impact against the Colts. I think not. You people with your curveball speculation make me sick just thinking of it. Do you realize we have scrubs to play our defensive tackle positions. Did you see our starting linebackers versus the Panthers ?? Embarrasing !!!

I do agree with you however that he may do something as crazy as picking a RB or WR. And if and when he does he will write the final chapter to a string of bad first round choices that we will be saddled with for the forseeable future.

I agree with you somewhat. I do think LB is a need but don't say that we need one because of the Panthers performance. What happened to our starting LBs was just catastrophic. I've never seen a division winner such as us go into the playoffs with those LBs starting.

If we sign Arrington I would love to draft a RB in the 1st. We need an eventual everydown replacement for Tiki and I don't think Jacobs is that guy. I could be wrong but if Tiki were to go down how many of us would feel comfortable with Ward or Jacobs carrying the load? I wouldn't be. But if we picked up a White or another capable RB as long as we are not reaching.

I like the Idea of trading with Indy so they can get their RB. Wonder if we could get and extra 2nd or 3rd rounder. Moving up 5 spots. Does anyone know what that would cost?

If we sign Arrington I would love to draft a RB in the 1st. We need an eventual everydown replacement for Tiki and I don't think Jacobs is that guy. I could be wrong but if Tiki were to go down how many of us would feel comfortable with Ward or Jacobs carrying the load? I wouldn't be. But if we picked up a White or another capable RB as long as we are not reaching.

I like the Idea of trading with Indy so they can get their RB. Wonder if we could get and extra 2nd or 3rd rounder. Moving up 5 spots. Does anyone know what that would cost?

How are you so sure... none of us have seen him(jacobs) complete a full drive in the NFL and you people are talking about who is and who isnt the answer? gimme a break :brooding:

Edited by DOOM

Guest Carbo
How are you so sure... none of us have seen him(jacobs) complete a full drive in the NFL and you people are talking about who is and who isnt the answer? gimme a break :brooding:
The reason "none of us have seen him complete a full drive in the NFL" is because he hasn't yet shown he is capable. He has, however, shown a propensity for fumbling. And he still, even at the NFL level, needs to be taught how to run. "Uh, no Brandon. You need to bend at the waist a bit. That's good. Put your shoulders down a little more. Atta boy!"

I'll say it again. Brandon Jacobs is not the answer to "Who replaces Tiki?" He is Ron Dayne II.

The reason "none of us have seen him complete a full drive in the NFL" is because he hasn't yet shown he is capable. He has, however, shown a propensity for fumbling. And he still, even at the NFL level, needs to be taught how to run. "Uh, no Brandon. You need to bend at the waist a bit. That's good. Put your shoulders down a little more. Atta boy!"

I'll say it again. Brandon Jacobs is not the answer to "Who replaces Tiki?" He is Ron Dayne II.

:rolleyes: Uh...Yeah those 7 TD's and 19 FD in 38 att's were really bad...Dam Stupid rookie :rolleyes:

Guest Lockhart

The Last curveball EA threw he discarded the 2005 first round draft choice and traded for the 3rd best QB in the draft, when he could have had the best one for free - nobody saw that coming.

The Last curveball EA threw he discarded the 2005 first round draft choice and traded for the 3rd best QB in the draft, when he could have had the best one for free - nobody saw that coming.

3rd best....So he went from 2nd to 3rd...how did that happen :confused: Rivers :LMAO: Loseman :LMAO: You cant make up your mind can you :TU:

Guest Carbo
:rolleyes: Uh...Yeah those 7 TD's and 19 FD in 38 att's were really bad...Dam Stupid rookie :rolleyes:
Yeah, three attempts from the one yard line and he finally cracks the end zone. That is after Tiki churns out 47 yards of a 55 yard drive.

Dam stupid poster :rolleyes: