SportsWrath

Giants Expected to Make Eli Highest Paid NFL QB....

BurnThePhilFans

I know a lot of people are going to criticize the amount of money in this deal. It's understandable...that's a huge chunk of change. But we live in times where we as fans consider a 30 million dollar deal for a good player a "bargain". When you get into the area of 100 million dollars, is there really any athlete worth that kind of money? I'm less concerned about the money than what it does, as it is going to make Eli Manning the quarterback of the Giants for the long term future. Personally, I would not want anyone else quarterbacking this team. Sunday was very disappointing and Eli along with the coaching staff are going to have to find a way to navigate the winter winds of Giants Stadium, but what the team accomplished last year is not lost on me for a second. Considering what New England was trying to accomplish, you can argue that the Giants '07 playoff run was the greatest in NFL history. He has displayed a knack for elevating his play in the 4th quarter, and I had the privilege of seeing in person his first career win in '04 to end the season against the Cowboys and the Denver game in '05, where he engineered game winning 4th quarter drives. It can't be disputed that it's a ton of money to devote to one player, but I am glad Eli Manning is going to be with the Giants for the long haul.

well said... Less than a third of the teams in the NFL have quarterbacks they can field consistently good teams with for a long period of time.... well.... Eli has led the Giants to the playoffs in each of his 4 full seasons as a starter.... I remember the 90's - our high school caliber qb's and playoff berths coming once every 3-6 years apart all too well.

no of course not, but should CC Sabathia be the highest paid pitcher in the game? Its what the market is and in football as the cap goes up so does salary.

I for a fan could care less about this, but if players do what they should do is say "Mr owner I want to go on a one year deal every year because I think I should make more than ELI Manning and we can just redo my deal every year".

Its what the market is right or wrong it is.

His arm is not the trouble, its his mechanics in the wind, his propensity to make gunslinger throws. He did cut down on ints and fumbles and got the comp% up this year, so I believe he can get better in the areas you said.

Bingo, next year there will be another QB to become the highest paid in the league. It happens evetry year. For all his faults, and they are there, no Giants fan should want to see a future without Eli.

And Contrary to what some may say, if Eli was a free agent, while we might get a bit of a home town discount, there would indeed be a bidding war. Because while Jerry Jones may be impressed with passing yards, there is still plenty of GM's out there that may be interested in a QB with a knack for winning, and being able to face the toughest opf markets without breaking a sweat, or his track record of game winning drives in the 4th.

Is he better than Brady? Probly not, but then is Cassle? Or maybe it's system?

Is he better than Peyton? Probly not, but is he throwing to Harrison and Wayne?

Is he better than McNabb? maybe, but then has McNabb won a super bowl yet?

Is he better than Ben? Romo? Rivers? Palmer? Cutler? Brees? Other than possibly Drew Brees, I don't think anyone can say any of those QB's are without a doubt better than Eli. And i can believe a case can be made that he is better than all but possibly Brees.

Not only is Eli among the elite, if you look at it. But he has won, regular season, playoffs, super bowl, he wins. He can throw for 300 yards and drive the offense down for a late score, or he can play mistake free and let the D win the game. Also, don't underestimate the damage Gillbride has done to Eli in at the very least this year. All season long, this has been one of the most poorly run offenses when it comes to big plays/decisions.

Bingo, next year there will be another QB to become the highest paid in the league. It happens evetry year. For all his faults, and they are there, no Giants fan should want to see a future without Eli.

And Contrary to what some may say, if Eli was a free agent, while we might get a bit of a home town discount, there would indeed be a bidding war. Because while Jerry Jones may be impressed with passing yards, there is still plenty of GM's out there that may be interested in a QB with a knack for winning, and being able to face the toughest opf markets without breaking a sweat, or his track record of game winning drives in the 4th.

Is he better than Brady? Probly not, but then is Cassle? Or maybe it's system?

Is he better than Peyton? Probly not, but is he throwing to Harrison and Wayne?

Is he better than McNabb? maybe, but then has McNabb won a super bowl yet?

Is he better than Ben? Romo? Rivers? Palmer? Cutler? Brees? Other than possibly Drew Brees, I don't think anyone can say any of those QB's are without a doubt better than Eli. And i can believe a case can be made that he is better than all but possibly Brees.

Not only is Eli among the elite, if you look at it. But he has won, regular season, playoffs, super bowl, he wins. He can throw for 300 yards and drive the offense down for a late score, or he can play mistake free and let the D win the game. Also, don't underestimate the damage Gillbride has done to Eli in at the very least this year. All season long, this has been one of the most poorly run offenses when it comes to big plays/decisions.

Your telling me! I can remember 2 interceptions out of his 12 (including the playoffs) - One was called play where he was bootlegging to his non-throwing side and throwing across his body (I think it was against the redskins in the season opener) and the other was a passing play called inside of his own 20 in the first quarter of a playoff game with a first and 10.... I'm sure there are many more... but Gilbride doesn't exactly help put Eli in better positions especially when he is struggling... the more he struggles, the more we abandon the running game.... inexcusable

Sorry, but I don't agree with this.

Give him a deal like Tom Brady's deal.

What was Brady's deal?

If I was Eli I would think about it this way. Do I want to be the highest paid QB, or do I want to save some money to bring in/keep more talent around me and be the QB with the most wins. Unless it is an inferiority thing with always chasing Peyton's coattails, it seems like a no brainier to me.

As per ESPN's around the Horn...

Expected to make in the range of 15 million dollars a year.

yep, usually occurs after you have the worse game of your life...but then again he is a Superbowl MVP so I shouldn't complain....it just pisses me off that we lost to the fucking eagles

mcnabb became the highest paid player in 2002. you can argue eli has accomplished more than mcnabb had by then. he wasn't the highest paid for long though and he certainly wasn't the best player in football at that time. it's all timing

the dog wouldn't support this either. even if he wins a SB this year. the dog thinks it was xxi that said it, and the dog agrees - the reality is, as a fan who really cares what the players get paid. no giant fan is going to argue right now that eli manning isn't the giants franchise qb for years to come, so lock it up and pay him...the issue the dog has is he is undeserving based on overall performance, and it sets the tone for the next wave of QBs who want to negotiate contracts who have outperformed him...

The problem with the contract is not that I don't want Eli to get it, he should get what he can, it's just that,

1) We just gave a big contract to someone, who a few weeks later, is getting kicked off our team. And this wasn't a prevent him from free agency contract, it was one of those "we appreciate you, so we're going to redo the contract". After just getting kicked in the teeth once, the Giants IMO should wait another year to do this. Take care of Jacobs and Pierce first.

2) It's just so crippling to the salary cap, I know contract can be structured certain ways to take care of this, but you only have to look at the Larry Fitzgerald deal and how it's affecting the team, but it's pretty much determined that Boldin is gone this year. I'm not looking forward to the day when after we tie up Eli, that 1/2 years down the line, we have to let Kiwi/Ross/Boss go because we don't have money for them.

if I am not mistaken isn't the salary cap going up anyway? Also you have a franchise QB on your team....we haven't one of those since Phil Simms and only a handful of teams can claim to have one, let alone have a superbowl MVP as one.

Receivers and skill players can be replaced, the lineman are a different story.

The problem with the contract is not that I don't want Eli to get it, he should get what he can, it's just that,

1) We just gave a big contract to someone, who a few weeks later, is getting kicked off our team. And this wasn't a prevent him from free agency contract, it was one of those "we appreciate you, so we're going to redo the contract". After just getting kicked in the teeth once, the Giants IMO should wait another year to do this. Take care of Jacobs and Pierce first.

2) It's just so crippling to the salary cap, I know contract can be structured certain ways to take care of this, but you only have to look at the Larry Fitzgerald deal and how it's affecting the team, but it's pretty much determined that Boldin is gone this year. I'm not looking forward to the day when after we tie up Eli, that 1/2 years down the line, we have to let Kiwi/Ross/Boss go because we don't have money for them.

:clap:

It's not that Eli should not be locked up with a big contract. It's the fact that they could get him for less. Every team over spends on players, but this is excessive. In addition to possible salary cap issues, you can't tell me some feathers are not going to be ruffled in this so-called harmonious locker room if Eli doesn't play more consistently.

Another issue you are going to have is that it is going to ignite the NY media. No more free passes for Eli. Every mistake he makes will be magnified, he will be compared to Brady and his brother constantly because of the $ and, I'm sorry, but he is no where near as good as Brady or Peyton. Not right now, anyway.

Another problem with Eli is that when he is bad he is really bad.

And I don't believe he has seen how difficult the NY media can be. They were somewhat easy on him early on because he was learning. Than the Giants had they're run last season. But more games like last Sunday, or Minnesota last year, and the vultures will start circling. There are people that are all ready writing he is not an elite QB.

By all means. Lock him up now. Pay him more than he is worth. That's a good move. But don't pay him this much.

the dog wouldn't support this either. even if he wins a SB this year. the dog thinks it was xxi that said it, and the dog agrees - the reality is, as a fan who really cares what the players get paid. no giant fan is going to argue right now that eli manning isn't the giants franchise qb for years to come, so lock it up and pay him...the issue the dog has is he is undeserving based on overall performance, and it sets the tone for the next wave of QBs who want to negotiate contracts who have outperformed him...

he is undeserving of this, he's not the best qb in football but that's not how this works. all the 'franchise' qbs (who i think we can all agree is a catagory eli falls into) are all going to take turns being the highest paid qb whenever it's their turn to almost be free agents. culpepper was, mcnabb was, peyton was, i think palmer was and if not he was close--brady seems to be the exception. if the eagles make it to the superbowl im sure the eagles will pay him higher than what we're going to pay eli. it's just how it seems to work. like someone mentioned earlier--CC Sabbathia is not the best pitcher in baseball but he's currently the highest paid. ryan dempster just got the same contract jake peavy has cuz he signed a year later evne though they are years apart in talent and accomplishments. it's all about timing.

also, to everyone else: next year is uncapped. his price will skyrocket if he's allowed to be a free agent in an uncapped year

It's not that Eli should not be locked up with a big contract. It's the fact that they could get him for less. Every team over spends on players, but this is excessive. In addition to possible salary cap issues, you can't tell me some feathers are not going to be ruffled in this so-called harmonious locker room if Eli doesn't play more consistently.

Another issue you are going to have is that it is going to ignite the NY media. No more free passes for Eli. Every mistake he makes will be magnified, he will be compared to Brady and his brother constantly because of the $ and, I'm sorry, but he is no where near as good as Brady or Peyton. Not right now, anyway.

And I don't believe he has seen how difficult the NY media can be. They were somewhat easy on him early on because he was learning. Than the Giants had they're run last season. But more games like last Sunday, or Minnesota last year, and the vultures will start circling. There are people that are all ready writing he is not an elite QB.

By all means. Lock him up now. Pay him more than he is worth. That's a good move. But don't pay him this much.

that's definately part of it...the dog is not going to pretend to even know the giant's cap situation, and they have a good front office that knows what it is doing...but isn't the likes of jacobs/ward and anyone else who is going to be due up in the next few years licking their chops now? the potential chain reaction is that it is going to make this that much harder to sign players in the future, as the standard is set.

he is undeserving of this, he's not the best qb in football but that's not how this works. all the 'franchise' qbs (who i think we can all agree is a catagory eli falls into) are all going to take turns being the highest paid qb whenever it's their turn to almost be free agents. culpepper was, mcnabb was, peyton was, i think palmer was and if not he was close--brady seems to be the exception. if the eagles make it to the superbowl im sure the eagles will pay him higher than what we're going to pay eli. it's just how it seems to work. like someone mentioned earlier--CC Sabbathia is not the best pitcher in baseball but he's currently the highest paid. ryan dempster just got the same contract jake peavy has cuz he signed a year later evne though they are years apart in talent and accomplishments. it's all about timing.

also, to everyone else: next year is uncapped. his price will skyrocket if he's allowed to be a free agent in an uncapped year

very true...the dog still operates under individuals being rewarded according to what they bring to the table (which is ridiculous when dealing with athletes obviously), and not that manning isn't a player the giants would want to lock up, the money and the timing is rough...

I am a little shocked with the actual football talk and maturity egg has brought the last 2 days. I have actually enjoyed reading some of his points and I never thought I would say that. With that said I disagree with some of your points...

He has been pretty consistent since the playoff run of last year and cut his turnovers over in half despite missing our 07' offensive MVP and biggest weapon in Burress for 6 full games and more like half the season if you count suspensions and his only playing one series in Arizona and being benched for the first 20 minutes in Pittsburg.

And I disagree that the media has not been as hard on him as possible. In fact I think the opposite is true. I am starting to feel that Eli will never receive the complete love of New York and the media no matter what he does. He seems to be the whipping boy for the fans and the media at times way more than necessary - just one year removed from his superbowl and despite throwing over 20 touchdowns and reaching the playoffs in all of his full seasons as starter (Both feats very rare in Giants history). Who knows if the media/ fans will ever come around to him but I think the treatment of Eli has been overly harsh considering what he has already accomplished.

Also, in regards to high contracts, how did you feel about the Cowboys throwing all that money at Romo early in his career despite him not winning a really meaningful game yet. He has been 0-2 in his first 2 playoff appearances like Eli was and lost back to back must win games in which he looked awful to end the 2008 season. If you were on board for that signing, it is hard to blast the Eli re-signing - although I do agree he should not be the highest paid QB.

I am a little shocked with the actual football talk and maturity egg has brought the last 2 days. I have actually enjoyed reading some of his points and I never thought I would say that. With that said I disagree with some of your points...

He has been pretty consistent since the playoff run of last year and cut his turnovers over in half despite missing our 07' offensive MVP and biggest weapon in Burress for 6 full games and more like half the season if you count suspensions and his only playing one series in Arizona and being benched for the first 20 minutes in Pittsburg.

And I disagree that the media has not been as hard on him as possible. In fact I think the opposite is true. I am starting to feel that Eli will never receive the complete love of New York and the media no matter what he does. He seems to be the whipping boy for the fans and the media at times way more than necessary - just one year removed from his superbowl and despite throwing over 20 touchdowns and reaching the playoffs in all of his full seasons as starter (Both feats very rare in Giants history). Who knows if the media/ fans will ever come around to him but I think the treatment of Eli has been overly harsh considering what he has already accomplished.

Also, in regards to high contracts, how did you feel about the Cowboys throwing all that money at Romo early in his career despite him not winning a really meaningful game yet. He has been 0-2 in his first 2 playoff appearances like Eli was and lost back to back must win games in which he looked awful to end the 2008 season. If you were on board for that signing, it is hard to blast the Eli re-signing - although I do agree he should not be the highest paid QB.

You prove my point with the media. He seems to be the whipping boy just one year removed from a Superbowl victory in which he was the "MVP." A few more games like last week after a big raise and they will want to run him out of town. We seen this before with most NY sports teams.

As far as Romo goes, I wanted an extension but they over paid for him as well. But he was on fire last year and Eli's contract would double Romo's. Think about the $ they want to give this guy. Crazy. Especially when they consider themselves a smash mouth running team.

Before the playoff run, he was getting raked over the coals. To the point were there were articles about him being a bust, Reese saying that he had "happy feet," etc. National media was even worse. So it's not like he hasn't been there before.

And if a contract is part prognostication, there are signs that there is reason to be optimistic: This season showed improvement in just about every statistical measurement for a QB.

All this debate would have been moot, had not Burress not shot himself. I have to admit, Egg, you called that. But keep in mind moles manage to forage earthworms, and they're blind. ;)

he's in a much better mood when we join the cowboys as losers.

I'm OK with paying Eli.

Last years superbowl run was worth the

money and since its not coming out

of my wallet no big deal. But all kidding

aside Eli has a 4th Qtr magic in him and

thats worth the big money in the NFL.

I dont want great stats I want the win

when the teams back is against the wall.

Eli long term as a Giant is the right move.

Just how much? Let the bean counters fight over it.

I'm OK with paying Eli.

Last years superbowl run was worth the

money and since its not coming out

of my wallet no big deal. But all kidding

aside Eli has a 4th Qtr magic in him and

thats worth the big money in the NFL.

I dont want great stats I want the win

when the teams back is against the wall.

Eli long term as a Giant is the right move.

Just how much? Let the bean counters fight over it.

Agree 100% :TU:

You prove my point with the media. He seems to be the whipping boy just one year removed from a Superbowl victory in which he was the "MVP." A few more games like last week after a big raise and they will want to run him out of town. We seen this before with most NY sports teams.

As far as Romo goes, I wanted an extension but they over paid for him as well. But he was on fire last year and Eli's contract would double Romo's. Think about the $ they want to give this guy. Crazy. Especially when they consider themselves a smash mouth running team.

It is an insane amount of money but if thats the only way to get it done so be it. I'd rather them overpay to keep him then lose him. Like I said, no Giant qb in recent history really threw for 20 td's a year and was bringing his team to the playoffs every year. If he further continues to improve by cutting down on the mistakes (like he did with his interceptions this year) then I am more than happy to keep him for whatever they feel is necessary. It will be nice to know that a franchise who has had a handful of awful qb's in the last nearly 20 years will have some stability at the position. Developing new qb's and not having capable qb's set teams back for several years.