SportsWrath

Giants Expected to Make Eli Highest Paid NFL QB....

BurnThePhilFans

As per ESPN's around the Horn...

Expected to make in the range of 15 million dollars a year.

if true, the dog is shocked and can't in any way justify this move...and that is not a shot at manning, but really, is he among the elite players in the league at this stage to warrent being the highest paid player???

if true, the dog is shocked and can't in any way justify this move...and that is not a shot at manning, but really, is he among the elite players in the league at this stage to warrent being the highest paid player???

You can make arguments for both sides... I, having watched every Giants game for the most part that Eli has played in, can point to....

Eli's comeback ability, his 26-11 record in his last 37 starts and his cutting his turnovers in half in the 08' season despite missing his big play wr. A superbowl MVP and pro bowler this year has increased his stock....

The panel pointed to the evolving economics of the NFL and the fact that he plays in such a big marker in New York as adding to the price tag. With probably a decade left in his career, his ability to handle the NY Media and not fluster, and his enormous upside, I like the move locking him up long term....

With that said, it is scary throwing so much money at 1 player. A failure like that can cripple a franchise for years if it doesn't pan out.

When is his contract up? If he still has to play next season I wouldn't make this deal now. Not after last Sunday and his overall track record in the playoffs. But his skills aside, why not wait until the next season? If they intend to throw this much $ at him I seriously doubt they would face a bidding war. And they already know he wants to be in NY.

When is his contract up? If he still has to play next season I wouldn't make this deal now. Not after last Sunday and his overall track record in the playoffs. But his skills aside, why not wait until the next season? If they intend to throw this much $ at him I seriously doubt they would face a bidding war. And they already know he wants to be in NY.

it's good practice to sign a keeper before their final contract year.

Agreed. From the sounding of the program it didn't seem like the deal was going to be reached right away. It seemed like it is still aways off but there has been talk. I do think they should let him play out next year as well. As to his "playoff track record" - You can't fault him too badly for the first two. The first one was his first year in the league as a full time starter and the 2nd the team was 8-8 and generally not that good... And he didn't have an awful game in that one... If your going to blast him for failing in his first 2 full seasons as a starter in the playoffs, you also must pass some blame on your boy Romo in addition to Peyton and several others. In his third full season he won the superbowl and played very very well in the playoffs in all games on the road against the number 1 defense, a 12-4 or 13-3 cowboys team (i forget their record), and a team who never loses a playoff game in their house... oh yea and then he led a game winning superbowl drive against the then 18-0 patriots. However, there is no excuse for the way he played against the Eagles this past Sunday. I can't defend him on that one. By the way his contract is up after next season

You can make arguments for both sides... I, having watched every Giants game for the most part that Eli has played in, can point to....

Eli's comeback ability, his 26-11 record in his last 37 starts and his cutting his turnovers in half in the 08' season despite missing his big play wr. A superbowl MVP and pro bowler this year has increased his stock....

The panel pointed to the evolving economics of the NFL and the fact that he plays in such a big marker in New York as adding to the price tag. With probably a decade left in his career, his ability to handle the NY Media and not fluster, and his enormous upside, I like the move locking him up long term....

With that said, it is scary throwing so much money at 1 player. A failure like that can cripple a franchise for years if it doesn't pan out.

you can, and he had produced...but in many ways he has been very average...4-3 post season record, with all 4 wins coming in one trip. aside from one game in GB last year, he is a pro that still hasn't shown he can adequately handle inclement weather. he has shown he can manage the game, but he hasn't shown he is the caliber of the great QBs in the NFL past or present, and he is certainly not an elite player in the NFL by any circumstances, and a contract this large is saying just that. the dog doesn't get it...it would be a slap in the face to his brother and tom brady...and if assante samuel actually holds on to the pass he threw right to him on the final drive of the super bowl, nobody is praising eli the mvp...everyone is talking about eli the choker in big games...he has the potential obviously to be a good qb, but he is not there, and undeserving of this...

Would that playoff track record you speak of involve last years SB win?

So we base his overall performance as a QB on one game? Do you do that with Romo? If that is the case then Romo should hand money back the way he played to end his teams season right?

I for the life of me cannot figure out why people all of a sudden, after 1 bad game now think its ELI 2004, rookie again. He followed up his post season run of last year with his best season and a 12-4 record. He like many a good QB has in the past had a bad game.

Look at Roethlisberger, last year he had a great statistical year, yet in his first playoff game at home he turned the ball over 4 times and lost. No one said anything, he had a SB ring(even though he had the worst statistical SB ever by a winning QB). Then this year, he has a so so year in terms of td/ints, yet all we hear about is he wins. Perception is not about what happens in 1 game, or even 2 games. Same would hold true even for the Cowboys QB. He has a pathtetic big game record, yet has played a body of work that is worthy of what he gets. We shall not even mention the bad games that Peyton has played in the playoffs, or the ones ELWAY, MONTANA, MARINO, SIMMS or YOUNG had back in the mid 80's to mid 90's(notice I did not say AIKMAN because well he never had a bad playoff game he just won)

As for the conract, well all know that NFL contracts mean nothing anyway, its about the guarantee and until I see that he is getting the most guranteed money of any NFL player it means nothing.

you can, and he had produced...but in many ways he has been very average...4-3 post season record, with all 4 wins coming in one trip. aside from one game in GB last year, he is a pro that still hasn't shown he can adequately handle inclement weather. he has shown he can manage the game, but he hasn't shown he is the caliber of the great QBs in the NFL past or present, and he is certainly not an elite player in the NFL by any circumstances, and a contract this large is saying just that. the dog doesn't get it...it would be a slap in the face to his brother and tom brady...and if assante samuel actually holds on to the pass he threw right to him on the final drive of the super bowl, nobody is praising eli the mvp...everyone is talking about eli the choker in big games...he has the potential obviously to be a good qb, but he is not there, and undeserving of this...

Was it managing the game when he led a 7 play 47 second drive after an 18 play 80 yard Dallas TD drive last year to tie that playoff game 14-14?

Look at the 4th quarter QB rating for his career, look at the comeback wins. If elite is about winning games and playing well when it counts then he is right up there.

so x, forget egg/dog obvious bias, you think he should be the highest paid QB in the game?

i don't- i think he has flaws in his game that can be corrected with hard work- like tighter spirals and better touch, more accuracy. until he does that, he's not the best QB in the league.

no salary cap after next season

so x, forget egg/dog obvious bias, you think he should be the highest paid QB in the game?

i don't- i think he has flaws in his game that can be corrected with hard work- like tighter spirals and better touch, more accuracy. until he does that, he's not the best QB in the league.

no of course not, but should CC Sabathia be the highest paid pitcher in the game? Its what the market is and in football as the cap goes up so does salary.

I for a fan could care less about this, but if players do what they should do is say "Mr owner I want to go on a one year deal every year because I think I should make more than ELI Manning and we can just redo my deal every year".

Its what the market is right or wrong it is.

His arm is not the trouble, its his mechanics in the wind, his propensity to make gunslinger throws. He did cut down on ints and fumbles and got the comp% up this year, so I believe he can get better in the areas you said.

After seeing him in the wind at the Meadowlands a few times and last Sunday's playoff performance, this is the best time for this? Seriously, I'm not trying to bash the guy, but this cant wait a year?

Anyone else think they wont have an uncapped year and just push out some agreement in their final meeting like last time?

I think the NFL has seen what an uncapped year will be like and dont want to go back to it..but who knows maybe next year you will see Brady being signed by the Raiders for 150 Million a year.

Was it managing the game when he led a 7 play 47 second drive after an 18 play 80 yard Dallas TD drive last year to tie that playoff game 14-14?

Look at the 4th quarter QB rating for his career, look at the comeback wins. If elite is about winning games and playing well when it counts then he is right up there.

ok...if you truely believe that eli manning's five year career has been so overwhelmingly superb that he warrants ths type of contract, one that says he is the biggest player in the NFL, then so be it...the dog sure would like to have you as a boss...

look, the dog isn't saying manning is a bad qb, but to earn this? not yet...maybe not ever...

mcnabb became the highest paid player in 2002. you can argue eli has accomplished more than mcnabb had by then. he wasn't the highest paid for long though and he certainly wasn't the best player in football at that time. it's all timing

i have nothing against eli but when the weather gets bad, his game suffers.... last year the RB bail him out in the bills game.. but as we can see the lost in the playoff this year.....

F this.. i'm soo heart broken,, i think this is my last post until the draft..

I said that too... But I can't stay away from talking Giants football for long..... AHHH I swear sometimes I curse the fact that I love this team as much as I do... losses like Sunday just destroy you... We have suffered through some of the most painful games imaginable over the years but tell me... How much sweeter did it make that superbowl win? Anyways I'm still very upset about the loss as I feel we can easily beat any of the teams left but we are built to be a good team for years and I'm already very excited for next year

I know a lot of people are going to criticize the amount of money in this deal. It's understandable...that's a huge chunk of change. But we live in times where we as fans consider a 30 million dollar deal for a good player a "bargain". When you get into the area of 100 million dollars, is there really any athlete worth that kind of money? I'm less concerned about the money than what it does, as it is going to make Eli Manning the quarterback of the Giants for the long term future. Personally, I would not want anyone else quarterbacking this team. Sunday was very disappointing and Eli along with the coaching staff are going to have to find a way to navigate the winter winds of Giants Stadium, but what the team accomplished last year is not lost on me for a second. Considering what New England was trying to accomplish, you can argue that the Giants '07 playoff run was the greatest in NFL history. He has displayed a knack for elevating his play in the 4th quarter, and I had the privilege of seeing in person his first career win in '04 to end the season against the Cowboys and the Denver game in '05, where he engineered game winning 4th quarter drives. It can't be disputed that it's a ton of money to devote to one player, but I am glad Eli Manning is going to be with the Giants for the long haul.