SportsWrath

Giants create salary cap space

jranieli

Braylon Edwards would be sweet...he'd have success with a good quarterback...and he's be a replacement for what we potentially would lose in Plax...height.

Well now that Mangini is the HC I would think that after the Brett Favre thing he would want anyone who might think they are bigger then the team out of there. Question is does he come here with that attitude as well?

Do not sleep on Manningham either. He was a tremendous deep threat in college and hopefully after a year of learning he can at the very least get better in 09 with some playing time.

Again, one solid year doesn't make up for 5 mediocre and 1 not even in the league.

He is exactly the type of player/character that would not have success in NY.

Apparently, I'm one of the few who is pretty content with our wide receiver options. 1. Moss has never had a legitimate shot at getting time. 2. Steve Smith can be a number 1 wide receiver in this league. 3. Mario Manningham is a solid player with tons of potential. 4. Domenik Hixo is a very raw talent that can also be developed. Throw in the fact that Toomer has gas left in the tank and that Plaxico probably won't be in jail come next year, and we have the same exact receiving corps as this year.

I'm with you. No reason to hit the panic button and go after a guy like Braylon Edwards... who is known more for big drops than big plays, or Antonio Bryant who is one bender away from being in more trouble than Plax. Receivers take time to develop, and between Hixon, Moss, Smith, and Manningham, one should become a true #1 guy.

I might not mind a guy like Housch to come in as a player/mentor for the young guys if the price is right, but if we have Amani again next year there's really no reason to go after a guy like Housch.

I'd go ass over tea kettle if we got Braylon. He's a fantastic talent in a bad situation, albeit he placed himself in that situation. I think he'd be on the market if the price is right, but imho a 2 and a 5 won't get it.

I think if we could get him, we'd have to resign Amani as a bit of a tutor, someone to teach him how to be a player, how to keep the outside stuff, the stuff off the field away from game day and to keep his mouth shut. I think he'd tow the line with Toomer helping him, the Browns have no real offensive leadership to speak of, but I'm not very familiar with that team.

I'd like to keep Amani regardless, this team has a lot of young receivers who could use some guidance.

I'd go ass over tea kettle if we got Braylon. He's a fantastic talent in a bad situation, albeit he placed himself in that situation. I think he'd be on the market if the price is right, but imho a 2 and a 5 won't get it.

I think if we could get him, we'd have to resign Amani as a bit of a tutor, someone to teach him how to be a player, how to keep the outside stuff, the stuff off the field away from game day and to keep his mouth shut. I think he'd tow the line with Toomer helping him, the Browns have no real offensive leadership to speak of, but I'm not very familiar with that team.

I'd like to keep Amani regardless, this team has a lot of young receivers who could use some guidance.

Well, the Browns have a decent offensive line, and Joe Thomas is going to be the cornerstone there for years to come, but it seems many decent skill position players go there and their career spirals to an end...a la Jamal Lewis...and another reason is they have an awful front office who fall for the likes of the Antonio Bryants and the Dante Stallworths of the NFL...

That's a pretty bold statement dude...There's no way that Troy Brown or Deion Branch are better than even Amani Toomer. All of those wide receivers were solid players...no stand out number one...exactly what we have right now. I really don't see what's wrong with our receiving corps. A good quarterback can mask the fact that you don't have a go to number one...we have a good quarterback...Tom Brady is a good quarterback....Donovan Mcnabb is/was a so-so quarterback. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see us pick up a stud WR(that isn't named Antonio Bryant)...do I see it ever happening? No, because we have far more pressing needs on defense and solid group of young guys, each of which has the potential to bust out as number one.

I know stats don't mean much too you, but Amani Toomer is currently doubling Deion Branch in both career touchdowns and career receptions(he IS 34 to Branch's 29, though...) Toomer is nearly a 10,000 yard receiver(Troy Brown had 6,366 career, he is retired) and had 20 more touchdowns than Troy Brown(Toomer's 51, to Brown's 31)...so to say that either one of those wide receivers is better than Amani Toomer is absurd.

PS. I'm sure you know this but David Patten was a Giants castoff

Winner... homer statement of the month.

Seriously Stormy, I'm starting to doubt you can make honest assessments about the players on our team relative to the talent of other teams.

Toomer has something left in the tank... but at this point he is already finding it very hard to get open against the young corners in this league. He doesn't have it anymore to be a starting #2 NFL wide receiver. I would take him as a #3 if Smith wasn't the exact same kind of receiver.

And no, Smith doesn't have the potential to be a #1, he has the potential to be a solid #2 possession receiver, pretty much what he is now. Smith does not have exceptional size or breakaway speed to be a #1. You need at least one of those qualities, preferrably both. He does have good hands and runs good routes, which is why he's a very good possession receiver, perfect to REPLACE AMANI.

And yes, Troy Brown and Deion Branch were both better during the Patriots SuperBowl runs than Amani is RIGHT NOW, which is my point. This conversation is about what we can get out of our current stable of receivers NEXT YEAR, it is not about comparing careers. You said "How many SuperBowls did the Patriots win with a #1 receiver." My point was that during their 3 SuperBowls, they had multiple receivers that were better than what we have right now, outside of Plaxico, and I stand firmly by that statement... and by far most fair-minded NFL fans and analysts would agree with me.

You mentioned Hixon, Moss, and Manningham. Out of the three, I have hope for Manningham. But you can't just pencil him in as the starter and hope that he turns into Plaxico's replacement year 2 in the NFL. You can't hope that Hixon becomes that guy or Moss remembers that football is a contact sport either. I will say this, I would rather see Amani back than Sinorice Moss.

But as far as our young receivers having potential to bust out as #1's... only Manningham has a legit shot. Hixon... no. He's fast but doesn't have all the physical tools. At one time I thought he could, but now, I see that chance as less than 10%.

I would like to see the Giants focus on getting more speed and size at the position. Goodbye to Sinorice and Amani... draft a big target (Greg Carr, FSU? My sleeper pick), try to find an upgrade in free agency or trade, and bring back Tyree. Then next year allow Manningham to earn a larger role in the offense and find out what he really has to offer.

I guarantee that if Amani catches 1 ball next year but it was an amazing sideline catch... people will start to say again, "he still has something left in the tank, resign him for one more year!" It's ridiculous, the guy is Jerry Rice on the Oakland Raiders... except not as good. Love Amani... grateful for him, but time to move on already.

Oh, and Antonio Bryant still is the real deal. And I'm sure you can find it within yourself to be fair about him when evaluating his career by checking the quality of teams he was on and quarterback play, yet he still managed a 1000 yard season in 2005 ON THE BROWNS. The guy is entering his prime. His career has been limited by injury and foolish personal mistakes. He has turned the corner and should be a pro bowler this year, but if he stays healthy, will have another Pro Bowl caliber year next year, and I have absolutely ZERO doubt about that after seeing him play a lot of his games this season. But enough about him, because the Bucs are not going to let him go anyway.