SportsWrath

Shanahan Canned

hlb37

the dog's not so sure - this is a team that won only one playoff game in 10 seasons, and only made the postseason in 4 of the last 10 seasons total, and you really never heard the fans calling for anyone's head there...not even jake plummer...

I'm not talking about the fans as much as the brass of the franchise. Denver is a playoff caliber team already. New coach comes in, team needs to learn a new system, not good.

I'm not talking about the fans as much as the brass of the franchise. Denver is a playoff caliber team already. New coach comes in, team needs to learn a new system, not good.

that team is desperate for a new defensive system, so that change would most likely be welcomed...the dog does agree as far as cutler's development and connection to shanahan, but sometimes you have to drop a good coach to move a team forward...a new coach can come in and take the a solid foundation to the next level very easily there...

Denver is not a choice spot for Spags. Too much expectation. If I was Spags and wanted a headcoach gig, I'd plant my ass in Detroit. He would have no expectations, #1 pick and another 1st round pick, plus a surplus of others. New GM who wont draft WRs every 1st pick and probably would listen to his input. He can win 6 games next year and look like the man.

I'd tend to agree, VG. Win one game and you're a fucking hero in Detroit.

I'd tend to agree, VG. Win one game and you're a fucking hero in Detroit.

In Detroit, you have one wide receiver(that they've only managed to have one after so many draft picks is mind-boggling), and a running back that's good, but a little fragile. No oline, no defense, and your best QB is named Kitna, who may or not come back to the level :rolleyes: he was at. You may as well coach an expansion team.

If they have any brains at all, they would be going hot and heavy for Pioli, in the hopes he can get some value out of this upcoming draft. Even if he gets a good draft, it will be a year before they get to respectability, and maybe .500. Otherwise, any coach there will be working on a 5-year plan with a 3-year contract. And there is no one at the level of Manning, Roethlisberger, or Rivers (or even Shaub) in this draft.

They are in even worse shape than we were in 2003, and we had a decent draft in 2003. It took 3 years, 4 good drafts, and some very fortunate FA pickups (who thought Robbins, O'Hara, and Madison would be the assets they've proven to be?) to get where we are, and we still almost had the coache's head on a pike as late as 2006.

Whoever goes there as a coach is going to have to be excellent with new players, and be able to establish a culture of winning. Spagnuolo definitely has the defensive schemes, but there isn't much evidence either way that he has those other qualities.

fish you dont think that kid frok OSU can be as good as matt shaub? that's not rhetorical, i've never seen him play but i've seen his numbers and they are impressive.

im a big kevin smith fan. to run for 1000 yards and 8 tds with a team that was constantly forced to throw and with an idiot coach who was actually giving rudi johnson carries over him the first 3rd of the season is impressive. i dont understand hwo he's fragile though, he played all 16 games and had a ridiculous carry total in college. calvin johnson is already easily a top 10 receiver. if only they had kept rogers they'd have a few decent pieces to rebuild around

fish you dont think that kid frok OSU can be as good as matt shaub? that's not rhetorical, i've never seen him play but i've seen his numbers and they are impressive.

im a big kevin smith fan. to run for 1000 yards and 8 tds with a team that was constantly forced to throw and with an idiot coach who was actually giving rudi johnson carries over him the first 3rd of the season is impressive. i dont understand hwo he's fragile though, he played all 16 games and had a ridiculous carry total in college. calvin johnson is already easily a top 10 receiver. if only they had kept rogers they'd have a few decent pieces to rebuild around

Shit. I think I confused Kevin Smith and Kevin Jones.

I haven't heard anything about the QB from OSU. But I do know that Shaub is a good QB.

In Detroit, you have one wide receiver(that they've only managed to have one after so many draft picks is mind-boggling), and a running back that's good, but a little fragile. No oline, no defense, and your best QB is named Kitna, who may or not come back to the level :rolleyes: he was at. You may as well coach an expansion team.

If they have any brains at all, they would be going hot and heavy for Pioli, in the hopes he can get some value out of this upcoming draft. Even if he gets a good draft, it will be a year before they get to respectability, and maybe .500. Otherwise, any coach there will be working on a 5-year plan with a 3-year contract. And there is no one at the level of Manning, Roethlisberger, or Rivers (or even Shaub) in this draft.

They are in even worse shape than we were in 2003, and we had a decent draft in 2003. It took 3 years, 4 good drafts, and some very fortunate FA pickups (who thought Robbins, O'Hara, and Madison would be the assets they've proven to be?) to get where we are, and we still almost had the coache's head on a pike as late as 2006.

Whoever goes there as a coach is going to have to be excellent with new players, and be able to establish a culture of winning. Spagnuolo definitely has the defensive schemes, but there isn't much evidence either way that he has those other qualities.

Which is why it would be good for him to go there. How you guys all dont understand what "no expectations" means, clean slate, mold the team... is beyond me.

You want him to go to playoff caliber teams, start his own system, and most likely fail. Which would put an immediate target on his back.

Shit. I think I confused Kevin Smith and Kevin Jones.

I haven't heard anything about the QB from OSU. But I do know that Shaub is a good QB.

yeah jones is a backup with CHI last i heard. kevin smith is a rookie. i like schaub too. the qb from osu just won the heisman and is playing in the ncaa championship. he threw 48 td's this year and 84 in the past two yaers. i nkow it's college and college ball sucks but his numbers look pretty awesome

Which is why it would be good for him to go there. How you guys all dont understand what "no expectations" means, clean slate, mold the team... is beyond me.

You want him to go to playoff caliber teams, start his own system, and most likely fail. Which would put an immediate target on his back.

Again, do you trust the Detroit to get a decent GM? That team goes NOWHERE without one. And if they don't get a decent GM, with that team's rep, who is going there in free agency?

OK, maybe does have the ability to mold young players--I see no definite evidence of that, but maybe he does. If they don't get a few good drafts in, he's three and out; and then he's stuck with a loser label.

If he goes to Detroit without a GM in place, he's out of his mind.

He has a defensive system; it's a proven commodity. He just needs to get a decent OC, and that Denver offense will be fine. The division that team is in sucks, so it wouldn't take much to win it. He goes 10-6 next year, which is very doable with the players already there, and he's a hero.

Again, do you trust the Detroit to get a decent GM? That team goes NOWHERE without one. And if they don't get a decent GM, with that team's rep, who is going there in free agency?

OK, maybe does have the ability to mold young players--I see no definite evidence of that, but maybe he does. If they don't get a few good drafts in, he's three and out; and then he's stuck with a loser label.

If he goes to Detroit without a GM in place, he's out of his mind.

He has a defensive system; it's a proven commodity. He just needs to get a decent OC, and that Denver offense will be fine. The division that team is in sucks, so it wouldn't take much to win it. He goes 10-6 next year, which is very doable with the players already there, and he's a hero.

Right, but all he'll have to do his first year is win one or two games.

Millen is finally gone, so I'm gonna say the new GM is already better. lol

The NFC North is somewhat a hit or miss division right now. He could very well win it next year with 8 wins.

If he goes 3 and out with any of those other teams, he'll be labeled a loser...and even more so, a loser with a "good" team.

The NFC North is somewhat a hit or miss division right now. He could very well win it next year with 8 wins.

If he goes 3 and out with any of those other teams, he'll be labeled a loser...and even more so, a loser with a "good" team.

I see your argument, but that team is going to need a complete overhaul. It's going to take a while to undo Millen's mistakes, and if they get the wrong personnel guy, especially for this draft, it's going to take a very long time to fix.

If they get a Pioli/Reese-type to GM, then I'd be all over it. Otherwise, not even Lombardi could fix that mess. Ask Steve Marriuci or Rod Marinelli.

the dog is not so sure about this...no team hires a coach with the expectation that a couple of wins is a success. he would definately get more time in detroit to try and turn things around, but he is going to have to produce notable progress in years one and two. it seems to the dog that denver is an ideal place to slide in as a first time coach. you have an offense that is going to produce immediately (it was an offense that put up large numbers with a QB and #1 receiver in just their 3rd year, and a second game breaking wide out in his rookie season, as well as a potential premiere tackle as a rookie, and they did it all having needed to use 7 different RBs...). as bad as the defense is there, they were seriously injury riddled and have some talent - the right mind set could produce an instant playoff team (something they haven't had there in 3 years)...if he can take that talent and get them to the playoffs next year, he will be celebrated there as well...if he is unable to get them over the hump in year one or two, he may not be ready to be a head coach in the league...