SportsWrath

Does John Madden still think Steve Smith has a big catch left in him?

boohyah

Absolutely not Fish. I've said it here before that Madden and Summerall are the standard bearers. Al Michaels has an ego the size of Canada (ask Boomer Esiason), and Madden hasn't been the same since he broke away from Pat. Madden has bought into the standard broadcast lingo now where every second has to be filled with words. For Madden to get back to being himself again, he needs a third guy in their who would put pressure on him not to keep going with schtick. the only guy right now out there that could do that is Phil Simms.

Pat Summerall died, didn't he?

Summerall and Madden were my favorite broadcast pair. Probably the reason I bought The Replacements, because it sure as hell wasn't Keaneu Reeves.

the dog means no offense, but nobody of sound mind should ever, ever purchase this movie for any reason, and that includes if you acted in it...and certainly should never admit to it...

Absolutely not Fish. I've said it here before that Madden and Summerall are the standard bearers. Al Michaels has an ego the size of Canada (ask Boomer Esiason), and Madden hasn't been the same since he broke away from Pat. Madden has bought into the standard broadcast lingo now where every second has to be filled with words. For Madden to get back to being himself again, he needs a third guy in their who would put pressure on him not to keep going with schtick. the only guy right now out there that could do that is Phil Simms.

Wasn't directing that at you, Boo.

And yes, he's a caricature of himself nowadays. But I remember how good I thought Summeral/Brookshire was, and that despite that, adding Madden was actually an improvement; I'm willing to cut the guy more slack than he gets by the younger crowd.

And as cartoony as he is now, I still think he's one of the better color guys around. Although that's not really saying much. <_<

Wasn't directing that at you, Boo.

And yes, he's a caricature of himself nowadays. But I remember how good I thought Summeral/Brookshire was, and that despite that, adding Madden was actually an improvement; I'm willing to cut the guy more slack than he gets by the younger crowd.

And as cartoony as he is now, I still think he's one of the better color guys around. Although that's not really saying much. <_<

I like Madden as well, he's always been one of my favorites, and for some reason I always hear people watching games with me say how mush they hate him. Even in the 90's I couldn't understand the hate for him. But I'm not above poking fun at his senility.