SportsWrath

Free-agent-to-be Jacobs must stay

Lubeck

Not really. Sure, Reese has done a fine job, but Reese wouldn't even be GM without Accorsi.

If Young gets credit for building the Championship Teams of the 1980s, he deserves criticism for deconstructing the team following Parcell's departure.

It would be unfair to blame Parcells' departure on Young, but certainly, the ego clashes between the two had a lot to do with it.

But not since the Giants let Landry and Lombardi leave in favor of Allie Sherman have the Giants fucked up a head coaching move like letting Belichick leave and keeping Ray Handley.

No one is disputing the disarray. Accorsi took over in 1998, and we won two playoff games during his tenure. He's gone to great lengths following his retirement to advertise himself as the man responsible for the product on the field, but it's just another brick in his wall of duplicity. He wanted no part of Coughlin coaching this team and was overruled by ownership. And his drafts were terrible until Coughlin and Reese joined the picture.

Guest StrahansGap

Let me 1st start off by saying how much I love Jacobs. I think he instills fear in the opposing team and is a very intense runner. But, I think the Giants should let him go if he starts asking for big money. A couple of reasons why: 1) Let's face it...Bradshaw might be the best RB prospect the Giants have ever had. The guy can flat out run. He makes cuts like Barry Sanders. The kid is going to be an all-pro....mark my words. 2) The big bruising backs like Jacobs have notoriously short careers. Injuries will start to mount and your left with a second string RB and (bradshaw if they have to let him go because of a large Jacobs contract) will be among the league leaders in carries and rushing yards for another team. 3) Let's face it #2...this offensive line is the best in the league. Keep them intact and you could have Pee Wee Herman at RB.

Like I said, If Jacobs wants big time money, it may be time to say goodbye. You can only pay so many players. At some point you have to say sayonara to a great player. I say spend the money in more important areas like 1) keeping the O-Line intact (Diehl will want left tackle money at some point) 2) Re-sign Pierce and any other important Defensive player at all costs. There are certain areas you address and certain areas you don't. With an O-Line like our, it would be foolish to reach and give Jacobs big money when you have Ward and Bradshaw. Depth is a beautiful thing and when you have it...you have to use it to your advantage.

Let me 1st start off by saying how much I love Jacobs. I think he instills fear in the opposing team and is a very intense runner. But, I think the Giants should let him go if he starts asking for big money. A couple of reasons why: 1) Let's face it...Bradshaw might be the best RB prospect the Giants have ever had. The guy can flat out run. He makes cuts like Barry Sanders. The kid is going to be an all-pro....mark my words. 2) The big bruising backs like Jacobs have notoriously short careers. Injuries will start to mount and your left with a second string RB and (bradshaw if they have to let him go because of a large Jacobs contract) will be among the league leaders in carries and rushing yards for another team. 3) Let's face it #2...this offensive line is the best in the league. Keep them intact and you could have Pee Wee Herman at RB.

Like I said, If Jacobs wants big time money, it may be time to say goodbye. You can only pay so many players. At some point you have to say sayonara to a great player. I say spend the money in more important areas like 1) keeping the O-Line intact (Diehl will want left tackle money at some point) 2) Re-sign Pierce and any other important Defensive player at all costs. There are certain areas you address and certain areas you don't. With an O-Line like our, it would be foolish to reach and give Jacobs big money when you have Ward and Bradshaw. Depth is a beautiful thing and when you have it...you have to use it to your advantage.

As much as I love Brandon, this makes the most sense.

All good points. And hopefully Jacobs realizes that he's the type of back that NEEDS a great OL. With the Giants, he can get a good contract and rack up 240 carries and ~1200 yards per year for three or four more years. If he goes somewhere else with an average OL, he gets 350 carries for one season, then is done the next year after averaging 3.5 per carry and being nicked up to all hell. But if he (and Ward too) stay in New York, he could be part of something legendary.

All good points. And hopefully Jacobs realizes that he's the type of back that NEEDS a great OL. With the Giants, he can get a good contract and rack up 240 carries and ~1200 yards per year for three or four more years. If he goes somewhere else with an average OL, he gets 350 carries for one season, then is done the next year after averaging 3.5 per carry and being nicked up to all hell. But if he (and Ward too) stay in New York, he could be part of something legendary.

This.

"A lot of money out there to be made," he shouted in the winning locker room. "Free agent, baby."

From most accounts Jacobs wants big money and I doubt the Giants will be able to sign him. The Giants seem to be team first and if you want a ridiculous payday then they will let you walk. To be honest I think giving Webster a good contract is better than signing Jacobs for too much. Ward and Bradshaw have shown that they can produce and I have no doubts that they can step up if Jacobs leaves. Every RB produces with this team so I have no doubts that Ware would be good also.

If we pass on re-signing Jacobs so as to save money for Antonio Pierce (already declining, fairly one-dimensional) and/or Corey Webster (plays a position where the pay-scale is totally out of whack -- if anyone's likely to be too expensive, it's him not Jacobs), we'd be making a huge mistake. Jacobs is the most inimitable resource on our team.

If we pass on re-signing Jacobs so as to save money for Antonio Pierce (already declining, fairly one-dimensional) and/or Corey Webster (plays a position where the pay-scale is totally out of whack -- if anyone's likely to be too expensive, it's him not Jacobs), we'd be making a huge mistake. Jacobs is the most inimitable resource on our team.

*looks up inimitable* ok, yes i agree with this. :rolleyes:

Our O-line is signed for years already. I think the Giants should let Ward walk and re-sign Jacobs. It wouldn't be the first time the Giants gave a RB a huge contract (Tiki)

Agreed. I would add to that list that Jacobs will never be a 20+ carry per game guy with the Giants....and he'd be an even greater injury risk if they tried to make him that. I don't want to pay $8M per year for 12-15 carries per game, considering the other options we have (and don't forget Ware, who is on the practice squad - he could fill the 3rd back role).

If it's a matter of priorities, we have to sign Webster first. For us anyway, RB is a hell of a lot easier to fill than CB.

I agree man...I feel like if anyone we would let go it'd be Ward...we have the same back(and more explosive, IMO) in Bradshaw and another cheaper, similar, back in Danny Ware...

I agree man...I feel like if anyone we would let go it'd be Ward...we have the same back(and more explosive, IMO) in Bradshaw and another cheaper, similar, back in Danny Ware...

I'd like to keep both and continue this three-back system. It's wishful thinking and almost completely unlikely, but I think all three guys feed off of one another well and their skillsets are very complementary.

But if given the choice, I'd shell out the extra bucks for Jacobs.

It does makes sense of course. I don't think BJ will be as successful on another team. The other side of the coin Brandon hasn't asked for anything yet.

Well from most accounts he wants big bucks and letting go Ward isn't going to free up much money as he is only making $550. I think Jacobs is more valuable than Ward but I just get the feeling he is going for top RB money, my previous quote only re-enforces this notion, and I'd rather the Giants addressed other areas if this happens. I agree with Money that Jacobs is definitely a unique RB but breaking the bank isn't necessary as the other 2 will perform also.

Well from most accounts he wants big bucks and letting go Ward isn't going to free up much money as he is only making $550. I think Jacobs is more valuable than Ward but I just get the feeling he is going for top RB money, my previous quote only re-enforces this notion, and I'd rather the Giants addressed other areas if this happens. I agree with Money that Jacobs is definitely a unique RB but breaking the bank isn't necessary as the other 2 will perform also.

Given how the other 2 are doing just fine, It's safe to say our success running the ball is the result of a solid OL. Brandon or not...

I'd like to keep both and continue this three-back system. It's wishful thinking and almost completely unlikely, but I think all three guys feed off of one another well and their skillsets are very complementary.

But if given the choice, I'd shell out the extra bucks for Jacobs.

Oh yah dude, for sure...it's amazing that we are so deep at the skill positions that nearly every one of our WRs and RBs could start on nearly every other team...