SportsWrath

This might explain the Plaxico situation

Guest StrahansGap

Guest StrahansGap

From Rotoworld: "Police reportedly responded to a pair of domestic disputes at the home of Plaxico Burress over the past three months.

It's unclear if this had anything to do with Plax's one-game suspension, but he was never charged. Still, Burress' wife filed for restraining orders and claimed "he had grabbed her." She admitted to slapping Plaxico in his face and both restraining orders were dismissed in court. This appears to be more of a personal issue, not something that could get Burress suspended. Sep. 24 - 7:25 pm et"

He missed practice because he was slapping his wife around. That's good enough for reinstatement. He better be in uniform against Seattle.

EXCLUSIVE: Burress involved in domestic disputes Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Last updated: Wednesday September 24, 2008, EDT 8:27 PM BY ED BEESON

Totowa police responded to two domestic disturbance calls at Giants receiver Plaxico Burress's home the past few months, borough police Chief Robert Coyle confirmed today.

In both instances, Burress's wife, Tiffany, had phoned the police, reports show. Temporary restraining orders were obtained in each but were later dismissed in state court.

It could not be determined whether the incidents had anything to do with Burress's suspension by the Giants today for the team's Oct. 5 game against the Seattle Seahawks.

Pat Hanlon, a spokesman for the Giants, said the team will "not comment on a player's personal life."

Records show Tiffany Burress called police on June 2 following what she said was an argument with her husband. When officers arrived, she claimed he had grabbed her. He, in turn, said his wife slapped him in the face.

No charges were filed, but Municipal Judge Terence P. Concoran granted Tiffany Burress a temporary restraining against her husband.

The order was later dismissed by a state Family Court judge in Paterson, police said.

Police were called again on Aug. 19. According to a report of the incident, Tiffany Burress left her husband at a New York nightclub after the two got into an argument there. Plaxico Burress arrived home later and began playing loud music, it says.

Citing the couple's small child, Tiffany Burress called police to the house, records show. She got another municipal order against her husband -- which also was dismissed at the state level.

No one answered the front door bell at the Burress home this afternoon. Several vehicles were parked in the driveway, the window blinds were drawn and two packages addressed to Plaxico Burress were on the front steps.

A neighbor said he saw Plaxico Burress enter the neighborhood yesterday.

"He was driving up," said 20-year-old Steve Bruno. "He waved and that's it."

Staff Writer Vinny DiTrani contributed to this article.

In one instance, Burress said his wife slapped him. In both instances, Burress's wife, Tiffany, had phoned the police, reports show. Temporary restraining orders were obtained in each but were later dismissed in state court.

It could not be determined whether the incidents had anything to do with Burress's suspension by the Giants today for the team's Oct. 5 game against the Seattle Seahawks.

Pat Hanlon, a spokesman for the Giants, said the team will "not comment on a player's personal life."

BURRESS SUSPENDED Agent wants Plaxico reinstated Records show Tiffany Burress called police on June 2 following what she said was an argument with her husband. When officers arrived, she claimed he had grabbed her. He, in turn, said his wife slapped him in the face.

No charges were filed, but Municipal Judge Terence P. Concoran granted Tiffany Burress a temporary restraining against her husband.

The order was later dismissed by a state Family Court judge in Paterson, police said.

Police were called again on Aug. 19. According to a report of the incident, Tiffany Burress left her husband at a New York nightclub after the two got into an argument there. Plaxico Burress arrived home later and began playing loud music, it says.

Citing the couple's small child, Tiffany Burress called police to the house, records show. She got another municipal order against her husband -- which also was dismissed at the state level.

No one answered the front door bell at the Burress home this afternoon. Several vehicles were parked in the driveway, the window blinds were drawn and two packages addressed to Plaxico Burress were on the front steps.

A neighbor said he saw Plaxico Burress enter the neighborhood yesterday.

"He was driving up," said 20-year-old Steve Bruno. "He waved and that's it."

Staff Writer Vinny DiTrani contributed to this article.

Plax appealing suspension

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Last updated: Wednesday September 24, 2008, EDT 8:10 PM BY VINNY DITRANI

The question now is, "Does the punishment fit the crime?"

Plaxico Burress should be disciplined, concedes his agent, Drew Rosenhaus. He did not show up for work Monday, nor did he inform the Giants he would be absent for what Rosenhaus termed a "family issue."

But the penalty, Rosenhaus insists, should not be the two-week suspension the Giants slapped on their star receiver Wednesday morning, a suspension that will keep him out of the Oct. 5 game against Seattle.

So the NFL Players Association, at the urging of Rosenhaus, has filed a non-injury grievance with the league to have the suspension overturned.

"Although we do acknowledge that there was an infraction here, and a violation of team rules," Rosenhaus said today, "it's not something we think is tantamount to Plaxico being suspended from the team for these two weeks, especially the ballgame. … It's obviously something that doesn't sit with us, and we're going to do what we can to get this turned around.

"I do believe there are things that take place in the NFL that you can say are worse and have not led to suspensions. We're hoping an arbitrator would agree with our position and reinstate him in time for him to practice for the Seahawks game."

The NFLPA has asked for an expedited hearing on the matter, according to director of communications Carl Francis. He added, however, the process depends upon the arbitrator's ability to fit the matter into his schedule.

For now, however, the Giants will be without their leading wide receiver, who will not be allowed back on the practice field until the day after the Seahawks game. The Giants issued a statement Wednesday morning soon after Tom Coughlin informed Burress of his suspension. The team did not give any specific reason for the suspension other than saying it was for a violation of team rules.

Rosenhaus said Burress was "surprised and very disappointed" when he learned of the punishment. "Plaxico had a responsibility relating to his family that he took care of, he personally handled," he said, adding Burress thought it was "an emergency."

The Giants, however, apparently thought they should have at least gotten a phone call.

"I think that we are all saddened by it," Coughlin said of the suspension. "But we want to make sure the message is loud and clear. We have had success here because of the team concept. And the team concept means basically everyone is accountable and responsible, and we don't let the other guys down."

Though teammates were surprised somewhat by the developments, they nevertheless understand the position taken by the organization.

"We are about the team," said quarterback Eli Manning. "It is all guys buying into it, all guys reacting as a team and being together. That is what we always preach, that is what the coaches preach. That is how we play and how we have been successful."

"This is a family, and we are going to stick with each other through the good and the bad," added center Shaun O'Hara. "The only thing I can say is that this team has always handled adversity well and will do the same with this."

Most Giants did not know Burress was absent Monday since the players basically met with their position coaches. The wideouts knew he was absent, but Steve Smith did not think much of it.

"Plax is Plax, he does what he wants," Smith said with a smile. "We don't see him a lot sometimes. I thought it was a normal day. I didn't know he wasn't going to come, I didn't know he was going to get in trouble for it.

"But [the suspension] sends a good message across the board. It shows everybody is going to be treated fairly, treated the same, no matter how high a profile player he is. And it tells Plaxico he can't do things like this. He's hurting the team, hurting the chemistry. We want him out there, both as a player and as part of this locker room."

Wide receiver Taye Biddle was signed off the practice squad to fill Burress' roster spot. Wide receiver John Broussard and tight end Martrez Milner were signed to and tight end Eric Butler released from the practice squad.

E-mail: ditrani@northjersey.com "We have to respect the Giants decision but we don't agree with it," Burress's agent said. The question now is, "Does the punishment fit the crime?"

Plaxico Burress should be disciplined, concedes his agent, Drew Rosenhaus. He did not show up for work Monday, nor did he inform the Giants he would be absent for what Rosenhaus termed a "family issue."

But the penalty, Rosenhaus insists, should not be the two-week suspension the Giants slapped on their star receiver Wednesday morning, a suspension that will keep him out of the Oct. 5 game against Seattle.

So the NFL Players Association, at the urging of Rosenhaus, has filed a non-injury grievance with the league to have the suspension overturned.

"Although we do acknowledge that there was an infraction here, and a violation of team rules," Rosenhaus said today, "it's not something we think is tantamount to Plaxico being suspended from the team for these two weeks, especially the ballgame. … It's obviously something that doesn't sit with us, and we're going to do what we can to get this turned around.

"I do believe there are things that take place in the NFL that you can say are worse and have not led to suspensions. We're hoping an arbitrator would agree with our position and reinstate him in time for him to practice for the Seahawks game."

The NFLPA has asked for an expedited hearing on the matter, according to director of communications Carl Francis. He added, however, the process depends upon the arbitrator's ability to fit the matter into his schedule.

For now, however, the Giants will be without their leading wide receiver, who will not be allowed back on the practice field until the day after the Seahawks game. The Giants issued a statement Wednesday morning soon after Tom Coughlin informed Burress of his suspension. The team did not give any specific reason for the suspension other than saying it was for a violation of team rules.

Rosenhaus said Burress was "surprised and very disappointed" when he learned of the punishment. "Plaxico had a responsibility relating to his family that he took care of, he personally handled," he said, adding Burress thought it was "an emergency."

The Giants, however, apparently thought they should have at least gotten a phone call.

"I think that we are all saddened by it," Coughlin said of the suspension. "But we want to make sure the message is loud and clear. We have had success here because of the team concept. And the team concept means basically everyone is accountable and responsible, and we don't let the other guys down."

Though teammates were surprised somewhat by the developments, they nevertheless understand the position taken by the organization.

"We are about the team," said quarterback Eli Manning. "It is all guys buying into it, all guys reacting as a team and being together. That is what we always preach, that is what the coaches preach. That is how we play and how we have been successful."

"This is a family, and we are going to stick with each other through the good and the bad," added center Shaun O'Hara. "The only thing I can say is that this team has always handled adversity well and will do the same with this."

Most Giants did not know Burress was absent Monday since the players basically met with their position coaches. The wideouts knew he was absent, but Steve Smith did not think much of it.

"Plax is Plax, he does what he wants," Smith said with a smile. "We don't see him a lot sometimes. I thought it was a normal day. I didn't know he wasn't going to come, I didn't know he was going to get in trouble for it.

"But [the suspension] sends a good message across the board. It shows everybody is going to be treated fairly, treated the same, no matter how high a profile player he is. And it tells Plaxico he can't do things like this. He's hurting the team, hurting the chemistry. We want him out there, both as a player and as part of this locker room."

Wide receiver Taye Biddle was signed off the practice squad to fill Burress' roster spot. Wide receiver John Broussard and tight end Martrez Milner were signed to and tight end Eric Butler released from the practice squad.

Or woke up next to a dead teammate in his driveway, or tried to kill himself by taking a bunch of pills, or had coke parties with strippers in a hotel room. :P

the cowboys envied LT so much they had to copy cat him I see :rolleyes:

From Rotoworld: "Police reportedly responded to a pair of domestic disputes at the home of Plaxico Burress over the past three months.

It's unclear if this had anything to do with Plax's one-game suspension, but he was never charged. Still, Burress' wife filed for restraining orders and claimed "he had grabbed her." She admitted to slapping Plaxico in his face and both restraining orders were dismissed in court. This appears to be more of a personal issue, not something that could get Burress suspended. Sep. 24 - 7:25 pm et"

He missed practice because he was slapping his wife around. That's good enough for reinstatement. He better be in uniform against Seattle.

I disagree. If you don't follow thru with the punishment, you send the wrong message everyone else... and to Plax himself. This team can win without Plax in the very same manner they won without Tiki.. and in the same manner they've been winning without Stra and Osi.

I disagree. If you don't follow thru with the punishment, you send the wrong message everyone else... and to Plax himself. This team can win without Plax in the very same manner they won without Tiki.. and in the same manner they've been winning without Stra and Osi.

September 25, 2008

Possible settlement in Plaxico situation

It’s starting to look like Plaxico Burress and the Giants might not have to square off in front of an arbitrator after all.

I told you before that there were ongoing talks between the NFL Management Council and the NFLPA regarding the two-week suspension the Giants gave to Burress. Well, now, via ProFootballTalk.com, I see that the NFL Network is reporting the possibility of a settlement.

The talks are between the lawyers from both sides and don’t involve the Giants and Burress directly, from what I’ve been told, and the NFLPA is not going to file a non-injury grievance until those talks run their course. Their hope is to have some resolution, or a date for a hearing, set by the close of business tomorrow.

If there is a settlement, don’t expect Burress to be reinstated. Unless that decision is forced upon the Giants, it’s hard to see them agreeing to lift the suspension because that would certainly appear to severly undermine Tom Coughlin’s and the organization’s authority. The message would be: Follow my rules, or I will punish you … until I get pressured by the NFLPA and Management Council to lighten up, in which case I will give in.

That doesn’t sound like something Coughlin (or the Giants) would agree to do.

Much more likely, the discussions are about the financial aspect of Burress’ suspension — specifically that he will be missing two weeks of pay ($235,294.12) and two weeks worth of his roster bonus (reportedly another $200,000). My guess is, he’s looking to either be paid during his suspension, or have the cost cut in half since he’s only missing one game (and since it’s unlikely he would’ve been hit with a two-week suspension if the Giants weren’t on a bye).

I thought he may have been out doing black guy stuff. :LMAO:

, or had coke parties with strippers in a hotel room. :P

Now thats something we could all agree on :TU: