SportsWrath

Strahan's agent and Giants talking contract

Taylorized56

Just saw this on Giants101. Hope he comes back, even at 36 it's clear he still has game and is the vocal leader of the Giants.

Giants, Strahan Talking Contract

Just a quick update for our readers - according to the Star-Ledger, the Giants and defensive end Michael Strahan have opened contract negotiations for next season. Strahan has been mulling retirement, and would like to know what the Giants would put on the table for him to come back to the team next year.

It's unclear what kind of pay increase the Giants are willing to offer, but the front office has made it clear they'd like Strahan back - and would consider re-negotiating his deal. Strahan has been quiet as to which way he's leaning, but most of those I've spoken to feel that there's too much incentive for Strahan to stay on with this team and particularly this defense, and believe he could even stay on for two or three more seasons.

LINK

Just saw this on Giants101. Hope he comes back, even at 36 it's clear he still has game and is the vocal leader of the Giants.

LINK

Thanks for the post. I really hope he comes back. He still has a lot of gas left in his tank, but more importantly (IMO) his influence on the rest of the guys is just plain phenomenal and he gets the whole team fired up. My fingers are crossed!

He will be back. He just needs to stay out of training camp like last year. If I were the organization, I would not do any official dealings until training camp, even if there is an agreement. I think fans understand that he cannot go through a whole training camp any more. Probably was a reason why he was healthy all year.

I saw this reported on while at the CC bar w/ my folks and my mother is a huge Giants fan (main reason I am) and we both agreed if Strahan is talking money he is coming back. He will be duly compensated for the role he plays on and off the field. If Strahan is not back I would be really surprised.

Watching the DVD showed me that Strahan is truly the heart and soul of our team. His pre-game speeches are awesome.

I used to not care much either way for him, but now he's definitely one of my all-time favorites.

An update from Star Ledger on the Strahan negotiations. By Mike Garonflo

"So I was just watching ESPNEWS and I heard them mention the Giants and DE Michael Strahan's agent are talking about a new contract ... according to the Newark Star-Ledger.

Huh?

Guess I was too vague yesterday when I said the "lines of communication are open." What I meant is that, according to someone involved in the situation, Strahan's agent contacted the Giants this week and said, "Hey, let's talk about this." It was initial contact and didn't lead anywhere close to a resolution -- not that anybody expected it would right off the bat.

As I mentioned yesterday, Strahan is in Africa on vacation. Not sure when he's coming back, but I do know negotiations won't begin in earnest until he's on American soil. (Btw, I can't guarantee you that the Giants are expecting said "negotiations," though team president and CEO John Mara suggested at the scouting combine the team would consider renegotiating the deal.)

If you're looking to handicap this one, here's what to expect: If (make that a big fat "IF") the Giants agree to renegotiate, they'll probably want to give a one-year extension (through the 2009 season) to make it clear that they didn't just throw more money at a guy for one season. They'll probably offer somewhere in the range of $6-7 million for the upcoming season. (Remember, Justin Tuck is now averaging $6 million per season, so the team will likely understand that Strahan will not play for less than that number.)

As for Strahan, I'll say he'll be looking for something in the range of $8 million for this upcoming season. (That's salary and signing bonus combined, meaning it could be something like a two-year, $12-million deal with $4 mil on the back end; in other words, the team could defer the $4 mil he's owed this year and give him $8 mil this upcoming season.) $8 mil is what Strahan was averaging on his last deal of four years, $32 million. He's currently scheduled to earn $4 million in base salary for this season.

Seems like this one should be able to get done, but I'm sure it'll still be interesting".