SportsWrath

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Lubeck

He is a hot topic right now after a very strong showing in both the Senior Bowl and the combine. Plus he has the most important attribute that a Giants draft pick can have to guarantee success.....a really confusing name.

But more seriously DRC has a damn good resume, close genetic connection to a 10 INT NFL CB, his combine turnout shows he is a remarkable athlete, and what I really like about him is his size. 6'2" guy with the athletic skill of someone shorter.

Right now DRC is projected as a mid to late 1st rounder. I have not even looked into it too much but I am just thinking to myself if I were Reese I would rather exchange first round picks and a 4th-5th to move up and grab DRC than trade a 1st and 3rd for Hall or 1st and second this year or whatever trade is being discussed with Seattle for Trufant.

Not if we resign Wilson and get M Johnson to start.

From what everyone is saying Wilson is gone and I doubt the coaches want the back field held down by a rookie who played alright in the playoffs.

Even if we resign Wilson I'd still like a Safety in the 1st or 2nd, that Johnson kid really hasn't shown me anything.

He is a hot topic right now after a very strong showing in both the Senior Bowl and the combine. Plus he has the most important attribute that a Giants draft pick can have to guarantee success.....a really confusing name.

But more seriously DRC has a damn good resume, close genetic connection to a 10 INT NFL CB, his combine turnout shows he is a remarkable athlete, and what I really like about him is his size. 6'2" guy with the athletic skill of someone shorter.

Right now DRC is projected as a mid to late 1st rounder. I have not even looked into it too much but I am just thinking to myself if I were Reese I would rather exchange first round picks and a 4th-5th to move up and grab DRC than trade a 1st and 3rd for Hall or 1st and second this year or whatever trade is being discussed with Seattle for Trufant.

I agree that he'd be a great pick up...although I don't think the Giants would have to trade up to get him because the draft is so deep. There's only a few teams that need a CB as bad as the Giants do and most analysts believe Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib, Terrell Thomas, and especially Leodis McKelvin will go first. Of course, analysts are wrong year after year. But this draft has some premier DE's, DT's, OT's, CB's, LB's, WR's, and RB's. The one position that isn't that deep is safety (IMO). For a team to draft DRC when a premier DE or LB is on the board, means they have to pass on someone else and depending on whether the teams needs are offense or defense should dictate.

If players are rated on a scale of 1 -5 (5 being a "premier" player), then there are about 40-50 premier players this year and another 40 that are "4's" (and many whom some believe are "5's"). DRC is definitely a "5" along with the aforementioned CB's, but there's also another 10 CB's that are "4's", so I think a lot of teams will not burn their first pick on a corner when they can easily pick up a decent one in later rounds. If DRC is gone when it's the Giants turn to pick at 31, they'll have their choice of several premier players that could easily become a future pro-bowler.

I don't think I've ever seen such a deep draft as this year. That's one of the main reasons I don't think we should part with any draft picks. Draft picks are extremely valuable....making the loss of NE's first rounder sweet....although loss of both would've been sweeter. If we do part with our draft pics, then the team that picks up those extra picks will be stocking their shelves with young future pro-bowlers that will come back to haunt us.

Regardless, if the Giants hold onto their picks and DRC is gone before the 31st pick, that simply means they'll get a premier LB, DT, or OT, etc. Personally, I lean towards a stud linebacker, but if DRC was still on the board, that'd certainly be nice as well....although we'd have to settle for a lesser LB later in the draft. Too bad this year didn't have a plethora of safeties or I'd say that would be the way to go in the draft. Kenny Philips (Miami) is about the only premier safety in the group and if he was still on the board, I'm sure the Giants would grab him up like there was no tomorrow....especially if Wilson walks, which it looks like he will. I think the Giants should "tag" Wilson to protect themselves. If another team grabs him, we get their next two year's first round draft picks...which would be sweet. If we don't tag him, we get jack shit and a hole in our safety position this season.

The deadline for tagging passed a week or two ago I believe.

I notice in this mornings news that they "tendered" Butler which means he must accept 1.47 million or become a free agent. If someone signs him, they we get their 2nd round draft pick as compensation. We also "tendered" Lorenzen for 947,000, but if someone signs him, we get no compensation because Lorenzen was never drafted. We also let Adrian Awesom go as a side note.

Regardless...I don't understand how "tendering" works, but apparantly it can still be done up to now. AS far as franchise tagging goes, I don't know if there's a deadline, but I know a team can only tag one player a year.

I think the Giants are playing the old game of "chicken" with Wilson. The fact that they "tendered" Butler and are willing to let Wilson walk tells me that the front office has different opinions about their safeties than does the fan base.

Wilson can't be tendered there is no game being played here. If a player is tendered an offer they are RFAs. If another team offers a contract to a tendered RFA the RFAs original team has a chance to beat the offer or be compensated with the draft picks associated with what their original tender offer was.

Players are only RFAs once. Wilson was a RFA last offseason and the Giants passed on the opportunity to sign him for a longer time, primarily I would assume because of his injury history.

Wilson can't be tendered there is no game being played here. If a player is tendered an offer they are RFAs. If another team offers a contract to a tendered RFA the RFAs original team has a chance to beat the offer or be compensated with the draft picks associated with what their original tender offer was.

Players are only RFAs once. Wilson was a RFA last offseason and the Giants passed on the opportunity to sign him for a longer time, primarily I would assume because of his injury history.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I know we need a Safety or two and some more depth at CB would be nice but I really want a stud pass-rushing DT to make our front totally ferocious. With Willie Joe out the door they have to fill a spot too.

If Kiwinuka is back in full form, we can rotate Tuck back and forth in the DT position. Coupled with Cofield, that's pretty friggin awesome. But a full time pass rushing DT would be cool. I think the Giants are looking for a solid replacement for Williams, who never quite cut it for a first round draft pick. Hard to find one who is a genuine pass rusher as they are usually bigger, stronger, slower, and plug the line with mass and muscle. However, maybe we could pick up Mike Rucker from the Panthers who's a free agent. He plays DE and has a lot of sacks, but at 6'5", 270 lbs, he's built a lot more like an inside guy than an outside guy like the smaller DE's Osi and Strahan. Admittedly, Strahan is also 6'5", but he's much leaner than Rucker.

An improved pass rush could also be had by going after a lightning quick linebacker like Vilma and putting him on the weakside. Just my opinion - on Vilma that is....which might be worth nothing. :huh:

That, and he's a close relative to a great NFL player.

Yes he is.