SportsWrath

Reality Check

Nas

We know winning hides a lot of problems. Yes we won the SB and we kicked ass doing so. But I'd like for everyone to go back to the mindset before the playoffs. What were our needs then.. and what were our complaints.

Eli needs to continue playing like he played the last few games.. starting with NE during the regular season... Webster is looking good now but we know he wasn't before...

Let's roll back the clock and talk about what our team needs to remain a force for years to come. Last thing I need is a season where we don't make the playoffs after winning the ultimate prize.

Last thing I need is a season where we don't make the playoffs after winning the ultimate prize.

That is common thing among SB teams not called the NE Patriots. That doesn't mean it's OK though.

We need a backup for Eli that's NFL-caliber... not to push him... but just in case he gets hurt. When he seperated his shoulder early in the season, we all thought the season was over... but if the seperation was worse or he didn't play through it, the season very well might have been over.

Another DB would be a good idea with Madison and McQ on the downsides of thier careers, and I bet we'll need a LB, DT, or OL as well.

We need a backup for Eli that's NFL-caliber... not to push him... but just in case he gets hurt. When he seperated his shoulder early in the season, we all thought the season was over... but if the seperation was worse or he didn't play through it, the season very well might have been over.

Another DB would be a good idea with Madison and McQ on the downsides of thier careers, and I bet we'll need a LB, DT, or OL as well.

I don't know what the fuss is about getting a veteran QB. What's wrong with J-Load? I have faith in the kid just like I have always had faith in Eli.

We can agree that we need to sterenthen the safety position and maybe add yet another solid DB since Madison is meidocre at best.

DT? I don't know if I'm missing something but don't we have Robbins and Alford among others? Both players are pretty good and Alford can only get better.

LB? Kawika is mediocre. And the LB is a mid-range need.

We need a nother big target yet athletic WR. If there's one poition after DE it's the WR position that should be propped up. You can never have enough WRs.

I don't know what the fuss is about getting a veteran QB. What's wrong with J-Load? I have faith in the kid just like I have always had faith in Eli.

We can agree that we need to sterenthen the safety position and maybe add yet another solid DB since Madison is meidocre at best.

DT? I don't know if I'm missing something but don't we have Robbins and Alford among others? Both players are pretty good and Alford can only get better.

LB? Kawika is mediocre. And the LB is a mid-range need.

We need a nother big target yet athletic WR. If there's one poition after DE it's the WR position that should be propped up. You can never have enough WRs.

Man, I like J-load too, but there's something weird about him... can't quite put my finger on it (and no, it's not that he's 300 lbs). There was the whole not showing up to camp his rookie year, then he won the job this year but lost it mid-season to Wright... and when he was in there, he looked tentative despite the fact that he was 30 lbs heavier than the guys trying to tackle him. Just odd. On the other hand, he's got a cannon for an arm and throws a tight spiral with good velocity; he's definitely worth keeping as a #3.

I hope Robbins is back; even though he's getting up there in age, I really think he's an underrated pass rusher and a good interior lineman. I have mixed feelings on Mitchell and I really think we may let him walk and put Wilkinson on the strong side.

Another WR won't hurt either, Ill agree. If Strahan comes back, I'd say RB and DE are the positions of least need, but quality depth couldn't hurt at any other spot.

Man, I like J-load too, but there's something weird about him... can't quite put my finger on it (and no, it's not that he's 300 lbs). There was the whole not showing up to camp his rookie year, then he won the job this year but lost it mid-season to Wright... and when he was in there, he looked tentative despite the fact that he was 30 lbs heavier than the guys trying to tackle him. Just odd. On the other hand, he's got a cannon for an arm and throws a tight spiral with good velocity; he's definitely worth keeping as a #3.

I hope Robbins is back; even though he's getting up there in age, I really think he's an underrated pass rusher and a good interior lineman. I have mixed feelings on Mitchell and I really think we may let him walk and put Wilkinson on the strong side.

Another WR won't hurt either, Ill agree. If Strahan comes back, I'd say RB and DE are the positions of least need, but quality depth couldn't hurt at any other spot.

If Mitchell's price tag is reasonable, we definately sign him. He switched positions from middle to outside and took some time to adjust to his coverage assignments, but he picked it up later in the year. He is a solid linebacker and a good football player.

I think the most important thing is to start grooming young guys for positions held down by the older guys. If we can steal a WR that's top notch it would be nice because those guys get hurt so often. We definitely could shore up the linebackers and get some good defensive backs to compete with our current crop.

The main thing is to get up and comers a chance to be groomed while keeping the starters healthy all season. One way to extend the life of a quality starter is to spell him now and then with youngsters as they're learning the ins and outs of the NFL.

I thought for sure we were dead in the water this year once Kiwanuka and Shockey went down as well as watching Plax and Jacobs fight through injuries. If we stay healthy and let some new blood cut their teeth, we should be looking pretty good next year. The trick will be for the team to keep the intensity they mustered up at the end of this season. That'll be hard to do, but at least those on the current team know what they have to do and how hard they want to win to go all the way.

We know winning hides a lot of problems. Yes we won the SB and we kicked ass doing so. But I'd like for everyone to go back to the mindset before the playoffs. What were our needs then.. and what were our complaints.

Eli needs to continue playing like he played the last few games.. starting with NE during the regular season... Webster is looking good now but we know he wasn't before...

Let's roll back the clock and talk about what our team needs to remain a force for years to come. Last thing I need is a season where we don't make the playoffs after winning the ultimate prize.

...They just never put Webster on the field is what I've always thought...He was so far down on our depth chart that no one knew how he would fare...

If Mitchell's price tag is reasonable, we definately sign him. He switched positions from middle to outside and took some time to adjust to his coverage assignments, but he picked it up later in the year. He is a solid linebacker and a good football player.

I complete agree. Mitchell is one of the league's most under-rated LBs.

I think the most important thing is to start grooming young guys for positions held down by the older guys. If we can steal a WR that's top notch it would be nice because those guys get hurt so often. We definitely could shore up the linebackers and get some good defensive backs to compete with our current crop.

The main thing is to get up and comers a chance to be groomed while keeping the starters healthy all season. One way to extend the life of a quality starter is to spell him now and then with youngsters as they're learning the ins and outs of the NFL.

I thought for sure we were dead in the water this year once Kiwanuka and Shockey went down as well as watching Plax and Jacobs fight through injuries. If we stay healthy and let some new blood cut their teeth, we should be looking pretty good next year. The trick will be for the team to keep the intensity they mustered up at the end of this season. That'll be hard to do, but at least those on the current team know what they have to do and how hard they want to win to go all the way.

Well put, Bleedin.